I Forge Iron

Reconnecting Steel Wire

OwlForge

Hi guys, first time on this forum and straight to Problem Solving. I need an advice on reconnecting a thicker steel wire in a vintage masher, specifically a way to solder it back while retaining most of its strength so it's still functional. I know it's not exactly a forging problem, however, all strictly soldering forums only deal with electronics, so I decided to save myself the fuss and head straight for the forge guys since I'm sure some of you guys have experience with this kind of work. Like I said, my options are right now limited to soldering and I'm curious what's the best way to go about it, as simply as possible.

DSC04228 - Copy.JPG

DSC04229 - Copy.JPG

Thanks in advance,

Dave

If it's an emergency or one off, you can grind a tig tungsten to fit in the mig contact tip and use it as a scratch start tig torch. Please don't make me tell you to pull the welding wire!

Sure you won't have control of the power or any of the snazzy features of a proper tig torch but it WILL work if.

Frosty The Lucky.

Easy enough with annealed stainless but you probably want some work hardening to stiffen it up; I see them at junk stores fairly often and fairly reasonable. I have one in my kitchen myself, (along with several other versions of a masher---each one is good for certain tasks.)

Tig is the way to go as other's have said.  You need to be able to turn it down to low amps and still be stable which some of the really cheap units don't like to do.  We rejoin stainless wires down to .035" dia with a GOOD tig machine daily...but for the really small stuff you need some serious practice.

You could theoretically silver solder it but that stuff is expensive now and you'd probably spend more on a single rod than the masher would cost to replace (with leftovers for the next project).  

Look into a good potato ricer.  I personally like lumpy mashed potatoes but for those who like smooth, you won't do better than a ricer.  

If it were me, ... and history were "repeating itself" ( as it so often does :rolleyes: ) ... I would shamelessly "over Engineer" the repair.

Yes, ... TIG weld the break, ... and since the break occurred on the 90 degree bend, ... weld in a little gusset, diagonally, to reinforce that point, ... on BOTH sides of the masher.

I too like lumps and skin in my mashed potatoes, ... and lots of roasted garlic.

And not just because I'm too lazy to peel the potatoes.

I like lumps and skin in mine. Let's see you rice an unpealed potato, a food processor trumps a ricer. A neighbor and I tried golf clubs on raw potatoes and they came out lumpy. Our britches came out a little tanned and nobody thought the neighbor lady should go to jail for spanking a 7 yr. old. Worse nobody thought MY mother should go to jail for spanking me when she heard. She didn't break out the wooden spoon though. WHEW!

Frosty The Lucky.