I Forge Iron

Titanium Hammer ?? Again

I ask this ? a few years back & the subject came back up LOL

some carpenters I work for have Lg titanium framing hammers they use all day long there not cheap $$ but they are sweet !!

they don't work you like my Lg steel framing hammer does !

So anyone ever seen a smithing hammer made from Ti ?? or use one ??

Tomas if I remember right you had a piece of ti & was going to try & forge a hammer ?? did you ever do that ?

ALSO anyone know what kind of Ti would forge well & work for this Idea I have helped make 1 set of Ti tongs @ a meet along time ago

the metal forge well @ yellow heat & has a small working window

I have No Ti right now I will have to start looking of a chunk from the Big city somewhere I would like to try one a see who it hammers :wacko:

19 hours ago, Dogsoldat said:

I'm not seeing many advantages forging with a titanium hammer.  To get  a comparable weight volume goes up.  From what I have read here Ti tongs would be nice to play with though.

The usual discussion back and forth with framing hammers is mass vs acceleration. The steel hammers have more mass, but the Ti hammer can be swung faster because it's lighter. The Ti crowd usually totes the idea that a lighter mass swung faster imparts more energy than a heavier mass swung slower. It's the same argument that's gone back and forth in the shooting community for over 100 years having to do with bullets.

I'd be asking your carpenter mates if they had ever heard of a nail gun, no one uses hammers here more! :)

I'm not built for speed, so light weight high velocity for the same impact wouldn't suit me, someone of lighter stature would probably find a heavy hammer tiresome to be moving about all day. Horses for courses really. - but tell them about them nail guns!

I hate light hammers. I use a 6 lber for most of what I do and a 3.5 for anything else. Then again, I forge large diameter stock. Light hammers, regardless of the velocity, will not move metal properly. You basically upset either face without transferring force though the steel. In what I do, weight makes haste. This is not always aplicable depending on the application though. 

I think it's one of the dumbest things ever.  You know the old question, "What weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of steel?".  Well, a pound is a pound.  So if my job requires a 1lb hammer that's what I'm going to use.  If it requires a 6lb hammer, that's what I'm going to use.  Why would I want a 3lb hammer the size of a 6lb?  It's the weight of the hammer that does the work regardless of the material the hammer is made of. 

Well said JM!  I work with a lot of carpenters, and the ti hammers drive a nail just fine, perhaps better than steel.  But try and use that same hammer to bump a stud wall over 3/16 of an inch or bend a 3/4 dia. allthread to fit the structural steel holes....

4 hours ago, Jackdawg said:

I'd be asking your carpenter mates if they had ever heard of a nail gun, no one uses hammers here more! :)

I'm not built for speed, so light weight high velocity for the same impact wouldn't suit me, someone of lighter stature would probably find a heavy hammer tiresome to be moving about all day. Horses for courses really. - but tell them about them nail guns!

Nailguns don't work well for pulling nails, nor do they hold up well for pounding on things for demolition ( or even to move stubborn pieces into place so you can nail them ( though some do try), They also don't dig well either. I have yet to find a nailgun that drives steel concrete stakes, or is good for setting form wedges, All things I regularly do with my 28 or 30 oz Estwing claw hammer.

Here is another vote for the 22-32 oz Estwing claw hammer.  My go to for framing was always the 28oz.  I used the 22oz when setting trusses.  When I was an iron worker I always swung a 6# short handled sledge.  

Problem with Ti forging hammer is the extra volume the energy for sq inch is worse if the "smaller" hammer has a larger face.  Hitting a nail you are hitting the same size item either way---till you get into using the hammer as a universal tool.

My Ti chunk is sitting there laughing at me as I have not had a lot of time to experiment lately...Just got back for teaching at Church camp---we ran till after 10 pm last night to get all the projects done...(still have appx 500# on the truck and it's in the 90's)

4 hours ago, jmccustomknives said:

I think it's one of the dumbest things ever.  You know the old question, "What weighs more a pound of feathers or a pound of steel?".  Well, a pound is a pound.  So if my job requires a 1lb hammer that's what I'm going to use.  If it requires a 6lb hammer, that's what I'm going to use.  Why would I want a 3lb hammer the size of a 6lb?  It's the weight of the hammer that does the work regardless of the material the hammer is made of. 

Drop it on your toues and you will know :D