I Forge Iron

Big pot rack!

armymedic.2

image_zpshi2hbvou.jpeg

image_zpswtu1vd4r.jpeg

image_zpsbwjxdgdf.jpeg

I saw a pot rack like this on google images and had to try it. B i cant remember the smiths name but i give him credit for the overall design.     I added my little personal flares of course.     And we have so much cabinet space now that the cookware is stored in plain sight!  

Learned a few things .   Got to have my dad and bro strike for me on that big bar.   It was kicking my butt with a small hammer!

thanks for looking

keith

Nice job Keith, I really like your models. You did the finial scrolls on the diamond too, that's a butt kicker especially wrestling that length of steel. The hangers have a good spread on the screw holes.  How did you finish it?

Well done, very nice.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks frosty!

My little ones really put it in perspective. Hahah.   

The scrolls were resistant to moving.    First time ive done them on the diamond.   Fun learning experience.  

Finishing was done hot with a beeswax block, let set and then rubbed back off while still hot with a rag.   

I also brass brushed the twists lightly which doesnt show in these  photos but looks nice in person

the mounts came out well.   Drilled out the hole for the upright, filed to fit.   Pressed them on hot.   And welded from the back. Much cleaner look than trying to clean up welds on the front.

15 hours ago, Bhutton said:

You don't know what you've done son...Now the lady of the house needs all red pans with matching bottoms...I know I went thru this...LOL

Nice work...I really like it!

Oh good point; the unintended consequences of married life!

Frosty The Lucky.

6 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'm using a lot more cast iron these days and so my pot racks have to get beefed up!

I'm with you Thomas. after getting a good old cast iron pan, cleaned and seasoned it, I'll never go back. I'm always on the lookout for the good old stuff now. Once I redo my kitchen I'll be making a heavy duty rack. 

27 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Got some of my best ones at the scrapyard!  (And yes I can tell when people have melted lead in them and avoid those)  I love the old ones that are a lot lighter than most of the modern ones due to using better casting skills.

Very good point on the ones that could have been used to melt lead. I have some cast iron pots that I'm not sure of so I just keep them as decoration antiques. 

My wife got some high tech skillet and chewed me out when I tried to cook bacon in it---I was overheating it.  Well I don't like waiting 45 minutes to cook bacon; so I use my old cast iron and can have breakfast in my belly before she can get the first item cooked.  In the old dog new tricks department I have started using the lye soak as a method of stripping a pan/pot down to bare metal before reseasoning it.  Less likely to warp them than the old burn off method I grew up with.  I think I will stop by the store on the way home and fry some chicken tonight!   Got a couple of "high wall" skillets designed for that...

I haven't used my cast iron in years, Deb hates cast iron even though I'm the one has to deal with it. The season has gone so rancid I'd probably need to stick them in  campfire to rid them of the stench.

I seasoned mine by popping corn in them, it works a treat and I like popcorn.

Recently I've been converting from Teflon to ceramic pans and love the things. I bought a 9" covered sautee yesterday and deliberately burned it black and let it dry on over night. It wiped clean with a paper towel this morning so all I needed to do was scald the bug dead and put it up. Finding matching colors looks to be a problem though. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

21 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Don't worry Frosty; I'll ascribe your heresy to the Birch!

What's that? The popcorn season? Or did you misspell Her Say?

Believe me I wouldn't have a shelf full of pans if I could use my cast iron. I haven't had a decent portion of fried cauliflower in years.

Frosty The Lucky.

Gentlemen and ladies, There is no need to take the "school of hard knocks" road & reinvent the wheel. The whole procedure is outlined at the following web address. The content of that article is completely correct.  http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-restore-cast-iron-pans-20151006-story.html I speak from experience. (I have been cooking Oriental and Southeast Asian quisine), as a hobby, for 40 plus years. A good cast iron pan should last many generations, when properly maintained. Bacon grease is not the best seasoning oil. It will it's flavor in all subsequent cooking. Also, a lye treatment, should be done only once, if at all. That is once , you buy the pan at a church sale, yard sale, flea market, estate sale. etc. The more rusted or cruddied up the pan, the cheaper the cost. (I bought a number 9 large pan for fifty cents.  Treated it until it looked as good as new and still usr it after 25 years of good service). Get several of them. I suggest you reserve one of them, expressly for omelets. I use another for standard cooking, and one for vegetarian dishes. Do check the above web site and follow its instructions. It will save you a lot of time seasoning and using the pan.

Cheers,    SLAG.

Actually.  I gave away my mother's 50 + year old cast iron frying pan.  The simple reason is that fried foods have been off my menu for 20 years. I was cooking far too many foods with lots of water and  acid fresh tomatoes. Too much iron in the food and seasoning doesn't hold up under that use.  However, I have kept the cast iron pan that we use to make cornbread.  That pan never sees any thing but butter and cornbread batter.  

Charlotte brings up a good point about the tomatoes.   They are supposed to be the worst for those pans.     Ive made chili in mine over a fire but reseasoned it afterwards just in case.    I eat plenty of metal off the grinder.   Dont need it in my food too!

Another problem with modern cast iron pans is that they save money on production by not grinding them smooth. However, this can be remedied by a few minutes with an angle grinder. Taking it up to 120 grit makes a world of difference.

Once you've done that, make sure you always use a metal spatula with a straight front edge, none of these wooden or nylon things made to be used in a non-stick pan. The hard edge will continually knock down the high spots in the seasoning, resulting in a smooth, slick finish.

My Mom's old Wagner, and Griswold pans appear to have been machined. I looked at a new Lodge, and it was a lot heavier and rougher. A DA sander and a few grit changes would spiff it up.

Mom had one pan she called a Dutch oven, but it was a larger diameter high wall frying type pan shape that another matching one would interlock with via a hinge arrrangement in the back and form the cover. I have yet to locate it at the estate,and no one else has seen it........

Nice job on the rack.