I Forge Iron

First real split cross

Daswulf

So I made my first real split cross. Found out why a band saw makes life easier. I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutoff wheel and a hacksaw. Want to make a bunch before the end of next month. 

This one will go to my mother tomorrow for Easter Sunday. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pretty nice especially for a first off. Your Mother will LOVE it, no mother in the history of mothers has ever not LOVED a gift from one of the kids.

What size stock did you start with? I made a texturing hammer out of a yard sale ball pein by heating it and beating on my hardy till it was marked up with mostly parallel cuts, crosswise to the handle. It lets me put a nice understated wood grain finish on crosses.

Another texturing thought is to use the edge of the hammer to suggest an adzed timber.

Cutting the ends on the hardy or with a chisel suggests axe cut timbers as well though Rome used saws a LOT.

Spread crosses are also excellent demo projects especially if you have a bunch of precut blanks ready. They wow the audience like twists, it's cool , Cool COOL to see the transformation from square bar to cross just happen. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty. I'm sure she will love it too. I started out with half inch hot rolled square stock. I'm sure it'd be great for demos with precut stock. just need a metal bandsaw and i'm set. They are also fun to do and there are so many different ways to do em. Thanks for the ideas.

27 minutes ago, Dave51B said:

They can be cut with a saws-all and proper blade. Just sayin'........                      Dave

I dont even know why i didnt think of that Dave.......... lol should get some blades and give it a go. sometimes.....

1 hour ago, Dave51B said:

They can be cut with a saws-all and proper blade. Just sayin'........                      Dave

Nice job, Das!

X2 on the sawsall!!!  First cross I made, I used a hacksaw.  That was the last of those.  After that, I used the sawsall.  Gotta be careful though, they do cut faster than the hacksaw!!  Wish I had a bandsaw.

I use my no-longer-portable band saw for these (it's mounted on a post in my shop).  I've not seen the nail-like taper done to the bottom leg of one of these before, nice touch.  

On the texturing, try a roofing hammer.  It has that built-in texture on the head and I've found it makes a quite attractive texture on these.  

Thanks All.

cool idea Spanky. I'll give it a try. got the idea midway through to make a wood base and that was the simplest way to attach it. once i get some sawzall blades i'll try a bunch of styles and textures. I like the nail end and wood base so i'll do a bunch of em that way.

Seldom, I think this is the vid........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBQlT1z4pbA&feature=player_embedded 

I went to a Trailer safety seminar in town yesterday and set up my portable kit....sold a few things and made a few...Anyway, I was down to my last set of split cross earrings and a trucker came up and wanted to buy just one earring.....Told him I wouldn't break up the set, but I had 4 cut 1/8" blanks with me and would try to make him one. I didn't have my camera with me, so you'll have to take my word for it. But it came out perfect on my little rivet forge, first try.....Hit with the brass brush and texturing hammer, three coats of clear enamel, a ring and an ear hook....one happy trucker....one elated iron beater      Life is Good          ( I couldn't cheat this time Spanky)                Dave

Nice cross, Das. You got a very even 'diamond' there.  I do mine like you did with a cut off wheel in a 5" angle grinder, but as you found out, it's tricky getting the full depth you need, even with a new wheel. So for me it's half wheel and half hacksaw for something the size of a rail spike. If you can find any of those old wrought rail spikes, they work really well for crosses because you get a wood-grain finish, specially with a bit of burnishing.

I'm sure your Mum liked the Easter gift.

Greetings Das,

Thought I would pass on to you an idea for the base.  A chunk of pipe and a large ball bearing welded to a handle makes a nice bubble to mount your crosses on. Easy to make tools that adds a little extra eye appeal .. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

image.jpeg