I Forge Iron

just thought I would share this Flatter

so I found this when I was researching how to make a flatter. some parts I couldn't stop laughing. it seems like whoever wrote this has little or no experience blacksmithing. this article is nt as good as the one that someone posted on here a while back in the blade smithing forum, I think it was. if your big on terminology than you'll enjoy reading this. this guy makes it sound so easy. anyways just thought I would share this. enjoy

!http://makezine.com/2015/06/03/blacksmithing-basics-forge-flatter/

Littleblacksmith

definitely used an online translator without proofreading by a native english speaker who understands smithing.

Probably my favorite was: "throw it in fire to heat it up and begin shaping the tool by hitting it with a sledgehammer. If you’re using a rounded piece of metal, you can shape this into a square by hitting each side of the circle until a square-like form takes shape" Hitting each side of a circle with a sledgehammer sounds very tiring to me.

36 minutes ago, beammeupscotty said:

Yes, the article is pretty ridiculous but Åhman is a pretty accomplished smith and his video on this subject is pretty good.

I do agree with you. he does very nice work, and that was a very good video on how to make a flatter. it was just the article that was pretty bad.

Littleblacksmith

24 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

I guess mines a manual sledgehammer

Mine too just sets there, does nothing but take up space waiting for someone to tell it what to do, Sounds like some Human employees I've paid & most politicians I know. 

Ain't translation software a hoot? I didn't get past page 1 though, the marketing software embedded in the site crashed me off my server. I had to go so far as to shut my browser down and let my anti add and malware programs scrub it on start up. I'd like to check it out but the bandwidth is too wide. Our ISP is changing software and it's not so smooth as they thought, predictions went from a day or two up to predicting a couple weeks and that was a couple weeks ago. Oh yeah that new software will be faster and easier to use, just ask Glenn.

One of my favorite translations was the early days, "water sheep." I don't recall the Asian language translation for a hydraulic ram. context solved the mystery but it took a couple paragraphs, most things were translated at that level of literal.

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh come on, how more transparent can a changeover be than disappearing your files? Remember Word Perfect and Corel Draw? Those were actually as transparent as it gets, I never saw a glitch anywhere. I could import any files either way without doing anything special. Open the folder select and insert, paste,etc. I REALLY miss Word Perfect and Corel Draw.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

"Once the sizing is right, grind out any imperfections and use a sanding wheel to ensure your metal is smooth. When you’ve got it right, heat the me[t]al again and dunk it in a bucket of water. This will set your metal."

Wow. Someone really needs to read the heat treating stickies.

As far as I can hear/see there is nothing to mistranslate. The text is 100% Mr Atwell's attempt to explain something he does not understand. Torbjörn is not to blame he has made a nice video of how he makes a flatter.

Michael,  you obviously need a pre-ban selector switch on your sledge hammer, otherwise you're stuck with semi-auto only!  For legal reasons we can't advise you to modify your sledge hammer to function automatically.

Frosty, I think that "water sheep" translation will come to mind every time I see a hydraulic ram.  That's really funny!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2016 at 0:27 PM, rockstar.esq said:

Michael,  you obviously need a pre-ban selector switch on your sledge hammer, otherwise you're stuck with semi-auto only!  For legal reasons we can't advise you to modify your sledge hammer to function automatically.

Frosty, I think that "water sheep" translation will come to mind every time I see a hydraulic ram.  That's really funny!

Me too, it's been making me laugh since the internet went public. I wonder if I can get "Shawn the Sheep" stickers to stick to hydraulic rams. I wonder how many guys would get it.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:48 PM, littleblacksmith said:

I do agree with you. he does very nice work, and that was a very good video on how to make a flatter. it was just the article that was pretty bad.

Littleblacksmith

I'm not trying to mess with Tobjiorn reputation.

Littleblacksmith