I Forge Iron

3 damascus chef blades

Here all 3 new blades out of the etch this week in need of furniture. I'm happy with the etch and overall look of them. Hope to have handles on this coming week. The top and bottom blades are 1095-L6. The middle is 1095-L6 plus several pieces of mild steel. I like seeing the 3 distinct colors.

Thanks for looking.

John

Gearhart Ironwerks

3 damascus chef blades.jpg

wow, you make some really nice knives. be sure to update us with some pictures once you finish them, il'l be interested to see the finished piece.

Littleblacksmith

24 minutes ago, gearhartironwerks said:

All three are feathers with the top having another piece of damascus inserted between the halves before welding. In retrospect, a more active piece would've worked better visually. Oh well, next time...

In my opinion they work out beautifully visually. No problem with working towards a more active pattern tho. Beautiful work.  I'd love to see how you compliment the patterns with handles. 

7 minutes ago, ianinsa said:

Wow, nice and I suppose fluxless to boot!

You really are getting good at these John.:)

fluxless...yep. I have a little more time now and have prioritized some things in my life after the scare last summer.

thanks for the compliment and hope to see you on this side of the pond soon.

John

This side things ain't going too well, physically and health wise we are fine but the powers that be are determined to wreck our economy!  The first time I came 1$ cost me R7 second time $1 cost me R 10 now $1 is R 13 something closer to R14 . The Government claims 6% inflation but in reality it's at 18% that makes living tricky and rustling up a spare $30 k plus

Gets harder by the day for this struggling blacksmith:) I'm trying to acclimatize myself to giving up a few unessential luxuries like food , shelter and clothing^_^ and the travel budget's deficit can be amended.   Any thoughts on heading this way? It's really cheap this way:D(for you that is)

Fortunately we have our priorities sorted so we have budget's for single malt despite the exchange rate !

Ian

rhitee,

feather patterns are not that difficult. go to www.kevincaseyknives.com for an excellent tutorial. you don't need a press, but a power hammer helps as you can split the billet with a top tool. after splitting, grind off the flash and flatten the faces with a belt grinder for a tight fit, then mig weld all around the billet for a dry weld. give it plenty of soak time. just remember that it's the ends you want so rotate 90 deg and draw out.

please send some pics when you do it.

john

Thanks John,

Your knives prompted me to go out an look at how this is done, and that is the tutorial I found.  It explains the process well.

I'm working with hand tools and alone right now.  I think trying to weld up a billet that thick and then splitting it wold be an exercise in frustration.

I'm scheming and scrounging to build a press.  Hopefully some day I'll be able to take on some more involved projects like this.  Pattern welding was the only reason I got interested in making knives in the first place :)  

Jhcc, You're right, my bad. Thanks. Wayne Coe once said to me that I should never make the first piece of damascus if I didn't want to make more.

He was right. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning opening presents when I pull the knife out of the etch to see the pattern. It never fails to excite me.

John

Latecomer to the show (as usual)...

Hi John, good looking knives, glad to see/hear you're back in action and getting stronger again.  (If I can offer a piece of professional advice, keep up with the therapy.)

12 hours ago, gearhartironwerks said:

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning opening presents when I pull the knife out of the etch to see the pattern. It never fails to excite me.

Me too!!!

Question:  Do you think L6 give a better contrast than the 15N20 I've been using? 

If you've got the time, Terry, Darryl, and a few others are going to be in Longview this Sat to visit with Mark Aspery while he's here.  I'm planning on being there in the morning.

as always

peace and love

billyO

PS - Did you stabilize/use any of the maple?  If so, what did you think?

PPS - Why an I a "Senior Member" and you a "Junior Member"????

jr/sr tags are because of the number of posts. assigned by the software

2 hours ago, billyO said:

Latecomer to the show (as usual)...

Hi John, good looking knives, glad to see/hear you're back in action and getting stronger again.  (If I can offer a piece of professional advice, keep up with the therapy.)

Me too!!!

Question:  Do you think L6 give a better contrast than the 15N20 I've been using? 

If you've got the time, Terry, Darryl, and a few others are going to be in Longview this Sat to visit with Mark Aspery while he's here.  I'm planning on being there in the morning.

as always

peace and love

billyO

PS - Did you stabilize/use any of the maple?  If so, what did you think?

I don't know about the differences between L6 and 15N20 as I can get free saw blades from a local mill and I use them. I get really good results from my etching process.

I will be demonstrating damascus at the Weaverville hammerin next week and will see MA there.

I stabilize all the wood I use with Cactus Juice. Maple, depending on its state can take a little longer in the vacuum pot.

I have no idea as to the designations. Maybe that's something you should ask Glenn. I'm certainly 'old' enough.  :)

If you're in the area, give me a buzz.

John

On 3/10/2016 at 4:24 AM, billyO said:

Click on your Avatar,select Edit Profile and write what you want. I don't think there is a time or post# designation anymore. I can pretty well guarantee "the improbable" isn't on their list. B)

Frosty The Lucky.