I Forge Iron

Id help on friends anvil

Cant really tell from these photos without a little cleaning. Check the rebound, if its good clean it up and put it back to work! 

Bring your friends granpa over to see your setup, Im sure he would appreciate it and maybe he has some knowledge to share!

When and if you clean it up get some good pictures and getting an I.D. might be possible.

Trentons from Germany and early Trentons made in the U.S. had flats on the feet, they were forged, they did not have the hourglass shape under the base.  Trentons that have the hourglass shape on the underside of the base came after the forged version, those bases were cast.

New member here, and not wanting to high jack thread.I have one that looks just like that, maybe smaller by a smidge.It has a 2   1   9  on the waist. Couldn't find a name on it , but only had a hand held brush with me. The horn had the tip damaged some. A small piece is broken off. What do the numbers mean in weight.

forged wrought iron anvil with steel face forge welded to it.  So the answer to your question is "No". (is it a forged or cast steel anvil)  I strongly suggest that if you need a smaller horn to work on you forge a bic for it and leave the horn as is.  There is a reason that almost all old anvils have a blunt horn and the first time you see someone walk into a sharp tipped horn in a sensitive area it will be come clear to you why so many look like someone took a hammer and smashed them blunt.

Does it matter? It's old and used it's earned every mark on it. Do you have a reason to need a sharp horn? Do you know how BAD a sharp horn feels when you walk into it? If you need a sharp horn a bic that fits the hardy hole or your vise was and is the more common norm. I'll bet the original owner blunted the horn shortly after getting it set up.

A word to the wise, brush and oil that fine old lady and put her to work for a year or two till you have some miles under your hammer THEN decide if you want to alter your tools, based on experience and need rather than uniformed, inexperienced wants. I'm not tossing you guff it's really common for a new comer to any skilled craft to want the best of tools. We all did and most still do but we have to learn what really counts in a tool. Nobody is born with this knowledge, let it grow before you start making modifications that can't be undone.

Frosty The Lucky.