I Forge Iron

Music? whistle while you work?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T & L Forge, Shop Music
If you walked into my shop, you would think that you had just stepped backwards in time.
I like a verity of music from the old schools of music.
My day may start out with some New Orleans Ragtime to kind of get me going.
Then I level out with some Motown such Diana Ross & the Supremes, Smokey Robinson,
Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons.
As the day progresses I turn to a little harmony from the Doo Whop era. Which leads me to Chubby Checker doing the

Blues Brothers: We have both types of music, Country ..... and Western
Blacksmithing music: in the mood, swing, heavy metal, and boogie woogie (pun intended).

I listen to the 50's, 60's and early 70's, bubblegum, boogie woogie, swing, Spike Jones, and doo whop. But you will hear anything, just as long as you want to try to keep up with the beat, and maybe break a sweat. Yackety-sax* or Bumble Boogie, and when things slow down.

*Yackety-sax is the actual name of the world famous theme song from "The Benny Hill Show"
Yackety Sax launched the career of Paducah, Kentucky native Homer Louis Randolph, better known as Boots Randolph.

I usually listen to my iPod . .got some in-ear headphones so they eliminate outside noises as well .. also wear hearing protection over that ..so I'm almost deaf ..

Still can hear the anvil ringing tho ...it rings like hell . .all the dogs in the village start barking when i hit it ...

I listen to heavy metal. .Rammstein especially because I can't understand German and the lyrics don't distract my attention ..Plus. .the style is actually "Industrial" so it sort of fits.

Absolutely the best forging music is Metallica - get it up loud enough to drown out the anvil
the rapid-fire drumming and attacking bass and guitar...nothing gets the old hammer moving faster and better than that.

Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, the Mudmen (mudmen.ca..yes that is "Lost" you heard on the Black Donnellys - World Champion Pipers with Heavy Metal), and of course AC/DC.

Wow, i'm not the only person who listens to albannach =D I've got both their albums in my car. They're increadible live, and I look forward to them at the highland games every year =)

I used to listen to them until their band manager decided to renege on their contractual obligations at our Celtic festival. Now they're persona non-grata.

So instead I listen to Enter the Haggis, Wolfstone, Seven Nations, Gaelic Storm, Rathkeltar, and Coyote Run.

I'm gonna have to agree with Welder 19 in that I like to hear ( what I can) of the shop normal noises. I do however agree with Thomas ( Thick as a Brick however ). If the gasser blower and power forge blowers didn't make static on the AM side I would be listening to talk radio. For a VERY large part my shop is silent of radio ( depending on how my mood is after the day job).

Sometimes there is bluegrass or folk playing on big open shop nights. At home, I usually don't listen to much, but I have started plugging my iPod into some computer speakers while I tinker on stuff. Right now that assembling a drill press or working on bicycles. I haven't been able to do much forging at home the last month or so. Amazing how a newborn and winter weather will do that to ya.

When the iPod is going, I've been listening to Bassnector or Sublime.

pete46

go here:

clannandrumma merchandise

"Tried & True" is the CD you want. It's one of the early ones, but it is good. It has "Sargent MacKenzie" on it. This is the ballad from the evac scene in Mel Gibson's "We Were Soldiers". There is an awesome story behind the song.

"Keep it Tribal" is good too.

Don