I Forge Iron

Show me your key chains.

Daswulf

A friend at work recently had me drill a hole in a bear claw for him to make a necklace out of. Later he asked me if I could forge him a bear claw key chain. 

Got it done tonight, certainly not the best bear claw but it gets the point across.  But it got me thinking what other key chain ideas are out there that you have made. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Dogsoldat said:

That's a simple effective item for sale. may have to steal that... :)

Go for it :)  I might try some smothed and polished too but I wanted this one to have the forged look  

Ausfire, I made a few leaf key chains too. I should brass brush some like that they look good. Do they sell well?

Spanky, that's a good effective design. Tried and tested too. 

A little key fob about 2" long, 1" wide.  The kokopelli was carved in by hand, with a few little chisels.

IMG_2450.JPG

Here's a little something I call the Celtic Swan.  It's a good warm-up exercise and uses up those little end pieces we always seem to collect.

12310483_1637778343139301_30802546576885

Rune fobs, you say?????

Small pendants/fobs/zipper charms about 1.25" tall, all hand carved.

11217183_1617008431921292_19107800837666

A high-carbon Mjolnir flint striker with a Hungarian (?) rune on both sides

11011261_1545419635746839_38825016263788

Mild steel with a bind rune that I thought looked rather nice.  Hated to get rid of it because it was so pleasing to simply run your thumb over while thinking on something!

10685443_1536520346636768_11828244483354

A little chunk of mild that said it wanted to be something more....

IMG_2234.JPG

On January 21, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Frosty said:

Nice key fob Spanky is the hook long enough it won't get knocked off in action? Say snagged by a bush or something similar.

I really like the idea though, worth some consideration as a marketable fob.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, around here these are popular with women in particular because they hook them on purse straps or edges with the keys hanging on the inside of the purse, makes 'em easy to find in junky purses.  Crazy simple to make, if I did demos I'd probably use it for that.   I do like the suggestion to make the loop also a bottle opener, the men would find that doubly functional.

Inside the purse or strap, that makes good sense. I visualized the keys hanging on the outside. That's pretty common up here it can be a real PITA digging through winter gear for keys, even just a pocket, carabiners are popular.

Those would make great demo projects. Fast easy and folk love being able to take a piece home they saw made and is still warm from the fire.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 1/21/2016 at 0:21 AM, Daswulf said:

Ausfire, I made a few leaf key chains too. I should brass brush some like that they look good. Do they sell well?

Das, they do sell very well, and that's mainly because they are so quick and easy to make that people can see them made. They can ask for a special shape of leaf like a gum leaf (long and skinny) or a rose leaf (serrated edge). If they are willing to wait another few minutes, a coat of quick dry lacquer finishes the job. I charge $5 and can't make enough of them.

Such a powerful thing to make, a little key chain trinket, charm, talisman.  Whatever you wanna call it, a little bit of the smith traveling around the world.  Here's one I built for my wife to keep her safe on the drive to town.

image.jpg

I like your key fob Nuge it makes me think about it. I love art that makes me think. SWEET.

That's a pretty twisted beauty Al Very nice.

Uh Spanky: It depends on the key on the chain doesn't it? I mean nothing will put the kaybosh on a masher like a fast moving Chevy. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Something a little different....

A while back, I decided to play around the concept of the flint striker that folks like to use for making fires.  There are a bunch out there, but I wanted to so something different and came up with what I call the cornucopia style that's sized a bit small so it can be worn as a pendant/dangle/key fob.  

IMG_2465.JPG

IMG_3175.jpgIMG_2620.JPG

They're small enough to not be in the way, but large enough to get a good grip on.  And they have plenty of striking surface to give you a decent spark.  Forged from 1080, water quenched.

• 3 months later...

Here is mine, I made it when i used to work for Rolls Royce making Propulsion Systems/Thrusters as a fitter.

Not Forged, Was milled with a Cnc Machine after making 3D Drawing and codes for the Propeller Blade and insert it with USB stick into the machine :) 

rolls royce.jpg