Show me your key chains.

Daswulf

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How are you texturing the surfaces for the keyrings?

Once when I was making a dragon door knocker out of some 1" sq stock, (the wings were fold formed sheet metal that fastened to the door with the knocker pivoting off them)  I tuned my propane forge burner to be terribly terribly oxidizing and let the work piece soak to get a really really heavy scale layer that when it was chipped off left an interesting pebbly looking surface to the dragon's body.    Very odd, as as a knifemaker I was so used to running reducing even heavily reducing to avoid scale.

The texturing jig.... some beads were laid down first, but I wasn't too keen on how they were doing.  So, I went after the thing with the pointed end of a chipping hammer and did some more with my center punch.

I'm still not 100% satisfied with the look I get, but running the steel through a few times, altering direction every pass, gives a nice random texture.  Before welding up the jig, I was doing each pendant individually and that took a lot of time!

IMG_4709.jpg