I Forge Iron

Now this is a pine cone!

I found this pic., but there was no link to its origin, so please give my high praise to whomever created it!

I love using old items to make new art, this is amazing.

It says it was made entirely of old shovels.

image.jpg

On a side note, I've been coming to iforgeiron for a few years now, but never wandered to the section, what a fool I've been! There's no much more to read and inspire me! I love it...

I have a few old shovels in my scrap pile - but not THAT many! They suit the pine cones very well. Rust gives the right colour too. 

I have seen shovels used to make interesting ducks. The blade forms the wings and the handle part makes the neck.

So I was working on a spider and a deer skull, and spoted a fire extinguisher and another piece. Everything came together at once. So I cut the extinguisher and tapered down the opening then welded on the cap. A lil paint later.....funny enough the cats names are "left" frosty, "right" tippy. I named frosty before I knew ya Frosty :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Frosty's giving you the look you know. The look that says, "darned two legs, if I knew he was taking another picture I'd hike my leg and lick my butt special."

We have a gray tabby looks a lot like Frosty. I named her "Empress Damascus" she earned the title, "Bug's Bane."

Cool spider, almost as cool as the cats. (I gotta say that or Damascus will get me, they know you know, they do!)

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, neat spider. That's one animal I haven't tried ... yet. I like how you've got those spinarets out the back end.

I notice you have some clutch forks there on the table. Put two of those face to face and you have a realistic crocodile head.

Good to see the safety glasses. Now, where's the respirator, Das? You've got some very fumy (is that a word?) metal there!

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

almost as cool as the cats. (I gotta say that or Damascus will get me, they know you know, they do!)

Frosty The Lucky.

The Empress is watching you. Lol

They also must inspect my work, that's how they got in the picture.  I'm not sure if that look said that they like the acorn or not. You be the judge. 

4 hours ago, ausfire said:

Yes, neat spider. That's one animal I haven't tried ... yet. I like how you've got those spinarets out the back end.

I notice you have some clutch forks there on the table. Put two of those face to face and you have a realistic crocodile head.

Good to see the safety glasses. Now, where's the respirator, Das? You've got some very fumy (is that a word?) metal there!

The spider is upside down getting ready for the main welds. I'll torch bend the legs after. Give one a go. I'll post it in another thread once it's done.  

Respirator is with the welding helmet ;) 

I had to hold off on the spider when I found the parts for the giant acorn that was inspired by this thread. 

Looking forward to seeing the spider right side up. The abdomen looks a bit like a diff crown wheel. That's a pretty hefty spider! You've inspired me to try one. I'll post the result on this website.

27 minutes ago, ausfire said:

Looking forward to seeing the spider right side up. The abdomen looks a bit like a diff crown wheel. That's a pretty hefty spider! You've inspired me to try one. I'll post the result on this website.

The bottoms are a bearing and ( I forget :huh:) but the tips are spider gears :D can't wait to see yours. 

23 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Tippy looks a lot like my Gomez; but Frosty (either one) doesn't look like my Morticia.

:) Nice. Named after the Adams family, I like that. 

12 minutes ago, the iron dwarf said:

got a 24" diameter hollow steel ball I was thinking of for a spider body

Go for it. That would be interesting. If you do please post pics. 

2 minutes ago, the iron dwarf said:

wonder what leg length I need?

I'd guess it would roughly depend what kind of spider but with a 24" ball, and for them to be bent and still hold it off the ground they would have to be a bit longer then 24". maybe do a layout of the pieces you want to use and get some wire and try some lengths and shapes until your happy with it.

No Das, they be the judges but I kind of doubt they'll love it. Seriously what good is an acorn a cat can't bat around the floor stalk and leave where you'll step on it barefooted? Do you really own cats or are those pics you got in picture frames back when?

I named a kitten Festus, Mother laughed and he remained Festus till Dad got home and he lived with us as Tom. Dad probably would've gone for Gomez, we would've had to explain Herman. One of Tom's offspring got named Ali because he was "cautious." Mother suggested that one, Ali was mostly black of course.

If you do a web search for spider pics you can take a scale to your monitor and determine a ratio you like, there can be quite a difference. You might find a really cool spider too, there are some wild ones out there. Once you decide what you like you can get creative say a steam punky spider strider vehicle.

Frosty The Lucky.