I Forge Iron

What did you get for Christmas?

The Cartrette house is like a lot of homes this year. Christmas was a little more slim than in times past. But it has been a good day. But I was delighted to find that among the gifts that I received, I got a nice pair of welder's gauntlets and a brass brush that I'll be using in the forge.
So, what blacksmithing/metalworking items did you get this Christmas?
Ecart

When I was asked what the kids could get me, I said the "the biggest bastard they have at the hardware store". My 10yr. old daughter said "you should be ashamed". I tried to explain that is the name of a file. I could not give a reason why. Does anyone know how they got such a name?

this is what i got so far

As far as I know, the bastard file is so called because it is uncommon or
unconventional, in the sense of being somewhere between rough cut (rasp) and
fine cut (milled).

In Australia, the word 'bastard' is used in the same way to describe a
rustic person in a robustly familiar and affectionate way, as a compliment
for being out of the ordinary and not a member of polished society. Also
used in a less complimentary way to describe a mean-spirited boss.

amother one
Although dictionary etymologies are virtually nonexistent, a plausible origin can be extracted from historical usage. "Bastard file" in current usage is a file of coarse cut (as opposed to a "finishing" file. However, its technically precise definition is "a file one cut finer than a "coarse file." Files are classed as "coarse," "second cut" and "smooth," from coarsest to finest. Thus, a "bastard file" is a cut in between a "coarse" and a "second cut." The word "bastard" functions here in its meaning as "irregular." So, a "bastard file" is a file that is neither "coarse" nor "second cut."

When I was asked what the kids could get me, I said the "the biggest bastard they have at the hardware store". My 10yr. old daughter said "you should be ashamed". I tried to explain that is the name of a file. I could not give a reason why. Does anyone know how they got such a name?

A bastard file is a file whose teeth configuration is in between a rough or coarse file and a

I got a Wilton combo vise ( 5 ich. , pipe , angle/sq. tubing )
The Blacksmith Ironworker and Farrier
rr spike tongs
twistingwrench
oxy-acctelene torch , Harris Port-A-Torch
Home depot gift cards, and money
Monster Garge seasons 1,2,3
and abunch of other stuff.;):);):)

Hope everyone had a MErry Christmas!

I made out pretty sweet. I landed "A Blacksmith's Craft, The Legacy of Francis Whitaker". Very very cool book and I can already say that I would recommend it after just one day's read (yeah I cheated and skimmed ahead). Thanks go out to the wife for that one. Then I got the Blacksmith's Craft from Mom. And from my inlaws I landed a $30 gift card to blacksmith supply so I am pretty well set (got starter crosspein and 2 tong kits already ordered).

Yeah I just had the big snip and was told by the Doc not to "Do anything unusual for 2 weeks". I asked him if that means that I am not allowed to move my 100# anvil, forge, etc into the yard to forge. He said "Ok let me rephrase what I said. Don't do anything real stupid.....". So I am left to sit and read and wait. Sad thing is the weather here the past week or so has been beautiful and perfect for outdoor forging ;-(.

Merry Christmas

-Dan

The in-laws were VERY giving this year and hooked me and the wife up with a new laptop... and even though it isn't a $2000 custom built, do-everything, swiss-army knife of laptops, at least I can now watch all those youtube videos that Sam keeps posting, and hopefully not have the internet freeze up from java and flash induced overload:)

Other than that... good old fashioned cash (to buy new toys with of course). And as a Christmas present to myself I hit Sears' scratch and dent aisle and came away with a deal on one of there little "homeowner" series toolboxes. A trip to Walmart (for $8 worth of felt) and a trip to Menards (for a can of Elmers Extra Strength Spray Adhesive) and *presto-chango* instant machinist's tool chest!

-Aaron @ the SCF

P.S. When the Elmers spray adhesive can say "Extra Strength" they really mean "so strong you can glue yourself to the side of the Sears Tower and do the hokey-pokey while you're there" luckily it cleans up with a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

I got six pairs of socks, same in grundies. Two aftershave/shower gell kits, a pint mug for morning coffee (Yes I really do need that much in the morning to function above an inarticulate grunt) a bunch of chocolate type stuff, a Billy Connelly DVD, forced to go clothes shopping and spend my own money (LMAO, got to love your Mum) and a calendar with everyones birthdays on it already. No excuse for forgetting now (I did say you have to love Mum didn't I?)
I also bought myself a 2 foot stainless steel ruler, a sliding right angle and a set of 6"calipers (they'll measure inside and outside diameter down to 0.5mm or 1/128") to try and get over the horror of clothes shopping :D

Best present was seeing just how much bigger my 9 year old niece Holly had gotten since I last saw her.

My wife got me the entire set of Hephaistos yearbooks (Metalldesign International), or at least from 1999 to 2007 I'm not sure when it started, but I think that's about it. I've made it through the 1999, and half way through the 2000. All I can really say is WOW! I've seen a little bit of the work of a few of the master on our continent, but to see such a variety of work by smiths from all over the world. Really humbling, yet inspiring.