I Forge Iron

Resetting a Hardy Hole

Hi Folks,

Brand new here and my first post. I have an older 75lb anvil that I've had resurfaced, but the hardy hole is poor shape and needs resetting. I wondered if anyone has suggestions as to how I go about this? Th edge is quite frayed an chipped.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Make an insert or sleeve and place it in the original hardie hole.

You could also make a portable hole, or portable hardie hole and use it instead. No need to resize the hardie posts that way.

There is no need to comment on the resurfaced face as it has already been done.

Edited by Glenn

What can you put your hands on the quickest?  Square tubing, angle iron, channel cut to fit, pieces of flat bar bent into a 7 shape. Lots of possibilities.

My suggestion is to make it work and keep the original issues. Second best would be to have it either resized, or resurfaced, which could cost more than the anvil or even a new (to you) anvil.

Edited by Glenn

We going fishing Dave? Oh wait, it's illegal to use live bait fresh water fishing in Alaska, nevermind.

I don't know what to suggest the damage is probably already done, what more is screwing with the hardy hole doing to hurt?

It's common for new comers to want perfect tools, especially when they don't know how to use them or what they need. Another good example is asking advice after the fact. It's a done deal, cap the worm can.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks to everyone for the replies....

"It's common for new comers to want perfect tools, especially when they don't know how to use them or what they need. Another good example is asking advice after the fact."

Actually Frosty, I was gifted this anvil and have yet to use it...how is that asking after the fact?

I'm located in Barriere...and no, I wasn't at the Fernie Forge but would like to in the future maybe.

Ironwolf....I will get some pics up as soon as I can....thanks for everyone's input.

"I have an older 75lb anvil that I've had resurfaced"   What people have been tip toeing around is that unless done just exactly right; resurfacing an anvil usually does major damage to it and may even destroy it's usability as a tool.

Excellent machinists and weldors have ruined many an anvil as they didn't understand how they are put together.  The hardened face of an anvil can be quite thin and is often not parallel with the base.  The advice we generally give is "first do no harm" or as I phrase it remove only as much from the face of the anvil as you are willing to remove from your own face and do yours *first*.  So now that we have broached the issue, can you tell us what you had done to it?

Thanks to everyone for the replies....

"It's common for new comers to want perfect tools, especially when they don't know how to use them or what they need. Another good example is asking advice after the fact."

Actually Frosty, I was gifted this anvil and have yet to use it...how is that asking after the fact?

You said you HAD it resurfaced. "Had", past tense and now you're asking advice. That would be after the fact. You haven't used it and are trying to fix it. Typical beginner's mistake.

I believe I said both those pretty clearly. I probably shouldn't have tip toed around the HIGH probability you've ruined the anvil?

To be clear. Without knowing what you're doing modifying or fixing a piece of equipment is almost ALWAYS a mistake. More anvils have been ruined by newbies "restoring" them than Sherman destroyed on his march to the sea.

It doesn't make you a bad guy, just a new comer to a craft making typical beginner mistakes.

Frosty The Lucky.

Shoot I have a friend who once had the face of his anvil milled "purty" and then found he had paid good money to make it unusable.  He carried it around about 20 years IIRC till the local group had an anvil repair clinic where a welding instructor and durn fine blacksmith spent 5 hours building it back usable using professional equipment.  (Using the Robb Gunther repair method, preheat included---infrared pyrometer!)  It's an all too common mistake we are trying to make less common!  So what was done to it?

I have an anvil I spot welded in a square tube. It re sized it. Nothing wrong with the hardie hole, just too many different sizes of anvils I use all have different hardie dimensions. I would never forge an item in it though. Such as a hardie cutter or a fuller etc. I doubt the tubing would withstand the hammering.

I have an old Trenton I use that is torn-up quite badly. The corners are badly chipped away. The face is very wavy. The worst is the hardie hole. It is rounded and the top of the hole is badly tapered. I can forge tools to fit it though......I mean, I use the actual hole to forge the item in a.k.a. forge to size. Just drive the tool (yellow heat) right down into the hole and upset it. 

The beat-up anvil is quite usable to forge items on, but for sharp corners I use another anvil or I have a heavy plate I drop into the hardie hole with square (sharper) corners. I can't use it to level items as the face is so badly worn away.