I Forge Iron

Salvagable?

I have an old anvil and I can't see any makers marks on it. More importantly there doesn't seem to be a flat spot anywhere on the top of it!

Am I right in thinking if I were able to grind the top flat I would go through whats left of the hardened material?

IMG_20150516_161406535_HDR.jpg

That anvil looks perfectly usable to me, don't grind the poor thing, it looks to be an older anvil to my (untrained) eye, just keep it as it is and use it for what it was intended, it got into that condition through use after all, and if it was good enough for it's previous 'smith it'll be good enough for you.

If you want one with a nice flat face and crisp edges keep an eye on ebay and be prepared to travel a little and you'll have yourself a fine anvil in no time!

Oh PLEASE don't do ANY grinding on that fine old lady! :o A flat anvil face is probably almost as over rated as a horn. A convex face aids in drawing operations while a concave face aids in straightening. The times a person needs a flat surface are mostly to CHECK if they've gotten a piece straight, NOT to forge against. I use a steel ruler if I'm not sure my eyeball is as accurate as it needs to be.

I wouldn't do more than take a wire brush to that old lady and put her to work. The face will shine right up under hot iron/steel and hammer. The flat face issue will become moot as YOUR skills grow. If a flat face is a MUST just buy a piece of flat bar.

Frosty The Lucky.

It looks flat down in the bottom of the depression. I'd pay a little for one like that but it wouldn't be much. How big is it?

​What do you mean by size, weight?

Its about 18" long and the top is about 5" wide

when I clean an anvil or similar I start by looking for markings in the normal places,

then I use a pressure washer to remove whats loose and look again,

then I use a wire brush by hand, not one on a grinder!

then if needed alternate between washing and brushing until any marks are revealed

to clean it up more it is best to just use it

I'd definitely enjoy having an anvil like that.  Contrary to popular opinion, there are a lot of curving and dishing exercises to be done by a blacksmith.  It's not all straight lines and smooth tapers!  

That anvil's seen some work on her, and there's no telling the things she's seen.  Clean her up and give her a steady diet of iron to work.