I Forge Iron

I knew I was right. It is a (Peter Wright)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 years later...

Okay, First of all, I'm well aware i'm posting on an old topic.
But this is where i found out, I might have bought a Soho pattern anvil. 
So second off all, thank you of sharing this information on the world wide web.

Having said that, this is what i bought this week:929328576_SohoAnvil1.thumb.jpg.0aa0ad4782ae221ab7c96bc7906a2172.jpg

It' might not look that big on picture. But it is a 88cm long anvil with a 15cm face width and a lot of meat underneath the face. 
Seeing the 2 clean hardy holes and the stapless cutting table, I assume it is at least comparable with the soho pattern anvil you guys are talking about. 
Offcoarse it is not nearly as elegant as a Peter Wright. It even looks almost more like a german style anvil then an english or a London pattern anvil to me. (Found it in Belgium so that might make sense.) But the barely visible weightstamp (on the other side of the anvil) are in hundredweights.  The hundredweights are well separated from the anvil but not highlighted with a clear dot. 

I thought for a moment, it might be a Mousehole anvil by the information i found on the web. But then the hundredweights should be on this side on the anvil. 
Anyway. I don't really care that much which anvil it is. I'm not even a bit of a blacksmith yet. Just another fool with an anvil in his workshop.
But i'm quiet happy with this anvil. I'ts in used but good condition. It doesn't ring but has a decent rebound and i'm looking forword to get myself a stump for this bad boy.

Oh yeah the weight. Well I don't even see the hundredweights. the quarters should be zero or 2 and the pounds 24.   
I think it is just possible to lift it with 2 people. Butt it is just wrong to do that.  
So my best guess is: 3   0   24 = 360 pounds =163kg or maybe 3   2  24= 416 pounds = 188kg

Oh yeah, just wanna show you how the hardy hole near the horn looks like. 
You can clealy see the transition from square punch to round punch. (the other way around infact. 

Soho Anvil Hardie hole.jpg

Welcome aboard gad to have you. Don't apologize, yours is about the best example of section selection for a 1st time poster I've seen in a LONG time. Old threads are archived for just this reason, what you wanted to ask was partly covered in an old thread. You did it just right.

Sorry, I'm not one of the anvil gurus on the forum but one will be along shortly I'm sure. Do you have a scale you can weigh it on? 

It looks good to me, have you used it?

Frosty The Lucky.

Well I might use a hanging scale from a hunter. 
It should be able to weigh up to 100 kg's.  
That combined with a moving pulley, don't know how to say it properly but the one that moves along with the load to divide the force in 2. 
I should be able to measure a dirty 200kg's but it won't be very exact. 

That will be a kind of ridicolous and interesting at the same time. If i can use it, why not. :) I won't pull that thing into 2 pieces if i'm doing it properly. (and if the anvil is'nt more than 200kg's butt that would impress me)
I have an engine hoist. So lifting this thing to measure it, that  is'nt a problem. 

I didn't use the anvil at this moment. My coalforge is still at my parents place. 
The old anvil stay's there for cold work. The forge will be moved if i have built a kind of shelter for the forge.
I'm a bit scared to ruin the cast iron pot.
To much plans, to less time. but this one crossed my path along with a 12mm thick steel plate of which i like to build a welding table. 

Perhapps i'm doing the welding table first and use the leftover parts for an anvil stand in place of a stump. But that is just taking uss offtopic. 
If I'm wheiging this thing with my thoughtfull method. I'll post a picture of the construction. 

Looking forward to it. 
Greets Pieter

Pieter: I understand what you intend to use the pully to lift the anvil. The fact that you have an engine hoist and are still thinking about using block and tackle is just silly enough to make you fit right in here. 

You and I have perfect excuses for saying funny things and getting away with it. You don't speak English and we all know how odd translation software selects words. You're covered and in fact can have some fun with all of us. ;) My excuse is a traumatic brain injury about 12 years ago and I've been a little goofy ever since. 

A good steel welding table is a good thing and left overs will make a fine anvil stand. I'm a huge fan of steel tripod stands, they're stable and deaden the ring if it's a loud anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well; actually he was thinking of using the pulleys to allow him to use a 100kg scale to weigh an anvil that is heavier than that.  Put the anvil on the direct connection and the scale on the pull rope that is supposed to be 1/2 the force and so make it a 200kg scale...

How does the engine hoist cut the lifting weight in 1/2?  The scale can't take the full weight so it needs to be cut down to a lower weight; a pulley/block and tackle does this, a dead lift does not.

If we were talking bathroom scales we would suggest using two with a board across them and lower the anvil onto the mid point of the board.

Okay, still don't have the hanging scale. So no weighing today. 
I have the late working shift tomorrow. So probably no weighing tomorrow. 
We'll see what the day after tomorrow brings. 
Hopefully not a broken toe or worse. 
Always be carefull with swinging anvils in your backyard. 

2 hours ago, Frazer said:

It wasn't a glitch. It was a test. Right Frosty?

Uh YES, I was testing my brain's capacity to take impacts! Of the Non-tree type.

Don't let us getting silly run you off Piet, we tend to have fun when possible, sometimes when we shouldn't. Asking about the weight of your anvil is mostly for curiosity, it looks plenty heavy to do serious work. But we WOULD like to know.;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I  have to weigh one of my anvils too; also above 400#  I'm debating whether I go to the scrapyard or the feed store. Both have appropriate scales; but both will need something to lift it off and on the pickup.  I'll talk with the scrapyard folks Saturday and see if they are willing.

Not to highjack the thread but Since yalls already talking about Peter Wrights I was wondering if I could get yalls opinion on one im going to look at this weekend, the guy said it weighs 234 pounds and he wants $500, I guess he has had it for years and he’s only ever used it for decoration, I asked about markings and he said that he saw Peter Wright on the side but he hasn’t looked for anything else. He says it’s 28.5” long and 12” high, I’ll bring a ball bearing with me when I go, and a hammer to see if it rings. But I’m a little concerned about the drop from the face. It looks like a pretty good dent is in it. Sorry these are the only two pictures I have of it so far and they are not very good.  
    Already have a 94# and a 124# Peter Wright but I’ve been wanting to find something a little bigger. 
FD7FB71B-7B9D-4291-97EB-4C29514A039C.thumb.jpeg.5a9d3be3ff069c13efbab239901d7950.jpeg4B6FB9ED-A1EB-4118-A92E-8C75E3A639A3.thumb.jpeg.22404ddffffc2d1a2460ab6a222cbb99.jpeg

I zoomed as well as I know how and it doesn't look so bad, especially for under $2/lb. The face plate does have an appreciable swale, it might be a Vulcan or maybe just used hard. It doesn't appear to have any serious dings though. 

I'd pick it up provided it doesn't show some obvious flaw in person. Even if I didn't like it I could pass it along for almost as reasonable a price without feeling like a fraud.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for yalls input, I plan to go see it Sunday, Irondragon, I thought the same if it passes the tests then I planned on buying it,  I just was worried about that spot up front.
    But on the other hand the price is pretty reasonable and it’s getting fewer and farther between that I’m finding used anvils at that kind of price. 

ISTR AinA had an example of an anvil made with a curve like that for a specific use.

Wouldn't it be nice if it was *stamped* 2  3  4 and so actually weighed around  224 + 84 + 4 = 312 ?  I've run into a few deals that way and a lot of deals where they claim that the American anvil was stamped in CWT---including a few where they got irate when I got the bathroom scale from the pickup/ute and showed them it wasn't!