I Forge Iron

I knew I was right. It is a (Peter Wright)

Thomas I hadn’t read that In The book yet that would be kinda cool if it was actually made like that. 
  Yes it would be nice if he’s just reading numbers off the side and the anvil was heavier than advertised, I hadn’t thought to ask him how he got his weight, but I’ll update when I get there Sunday. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be a number 5? 
I'ts been cleaning day  and this is what the anvil showed me. 
IMG_20210715_111720.thumb.jpg.0c69e8f547c7fd45886be37fa8afe532.jpg

So, as you figured out. I'm talking about the hundredweights.
Well with the number 3 in mind. I immediatly saw a 3 in it with a flat top. But I Estimated it to be heavier then 360 lbs or 160kg. 
With the zero showing itself. It became clear that the option of 3 2 24  which I "hoped" for is gone. (even if it was 100kg, it would be plenty for me.)

I bought myself a hanging scale. The biggest one in the store but it is only 100kg's as well as the one i might be using.
So I' lifted the scale. Lifted myself with the "moving pulley strategy". 
It showed a 45kg which is perfect the half of my 90kg of full proudness.

Then I lifted the anvil, and men that thing is hard to handle. But it showed me this:

312947679_Wijzertjerond..thumb.jpg.493bd23a542a5f723dede11d294a1bd4.jpg

The pointer has been arround even if it's just pulling the half weight of the anvil. 
So it tells us at least that the anvil is minimum 200kg's
Well You should'nt trust the scale anymore. Above the point of going out of range. 
But we could asume it's going above it with a 15kg's (mind the gab and the dubbeling factor). 
It gaves us a 30 extra kg's 230kg which is far above the 160kg's of the 3   0   24.
I don't see a 4 in it but maybe a 5. Which shoud gave us 560lbs +0lbs+24lbs=584lbs =260kg

I just don't know.

Swinging soho anvil.jpg

Oh yes,

The backside of the anvil revealed something as well. I'll show you tonight, when i get home after another late shift. 

Have a nice day!

IMG_20210715_112911.thumb.jpg.ca450cef48882dd9c31ce10b1563be13.jpg

Well, I didn't suspect to find a stamp on the other side of the anvil. But here it is. 
It has seen better times but it is revealing that it is a Wilkinson anvil from the forgery in Dudley at Queens Crossing. 
Below the LEY from Dudley stands Warrented (or what's left of it.)

Cheers

I can agree with that. It has a nice rebound and it doesn' ring the nerves out of me. 
That all is more important then a stamp. 
But it kind of bit me. Well it is nice to know what anvil it is. And this anvil will be used inside.
So I had to clean it before moving this thing into the trashole that should become a workshop. 

I was impressed when i bought it. Bought it online on a second handstore. Just seeing a picture which did'nt reveal the size. It was a good price for a smaller anvil and i was looking for an anvil with a clean hardy hole in the midle to deal with some twisting powers. 

Well i ended up with this big fellow inclusive 2 clean hardy holes. And the question, what is a soho anvil and what is it used for. Well, the question still stands.