I Forge Iron

Replace Ram Guide Bolts with all thread rod?

Hey guys,

I've got a new style 100lb. LG hammer. I am trying to build a guard for the spring and wanted to attach the guard to the 3 long bolts going through the ram guide. Unfortunately, there is not enough bolt there to get the guard piece on it. 

Is there any reason not to replace them with threaded rod? I have a metal lathe and the capability to turn my own bolts but it seems like all thread would be an easier solution.

Thanks,

Cody

What grade are the guid bolts? Be aware that "studs" will exhibit higher clamping forces than bolts for the same torc. Being that a nut produces less friction than a bolt, and you experience less stretch. Secondly be aware that not all " all tread" is the same, grade 0, 3, 5 and 8 being common bolt specks, wile comely one only finds grade 0&3 rod, one might look at graded studs, they typically have corse threads on one end and fine on the other, but are available in grade 5&8. 

I'm no expert on LGs, but yesterday I was working on a friends 50LB LG and we replaced the guide bolts with 5/8X3 1/2" grade 8 bolts to accept her guard and hold the guide in place with nylon nuts just holding the guide, then the gaurd frame, then another nylon nut to hold that in place. I ran the hammer all day today and it didn't seem to be a problem. I wasn't the one who [paid for the nuts and bolts, but probably around $10 at a local big box store.

(using the term "nylon nut" meaning whatever those nuts are called with the nylon thing on the inside of the thread to prevent it from backing out inadvertantly)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is how I did mine on my 100# ...I took cold rolled and cut just enough thread for the nuts and left the center section unthreaded so the adjuster bolts make contact with the unthreaded section.

Dan Lehman

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Suboc
add photo

Subok that is a pretty hammer! Chris

Thanks Chris. Those photos were taken several years ago just after I had rebuilt it. Believe me, it's not that clean anymore but has proven to be a great hammer.

Edited by Suboc

Hey Crazy Ivan:  I have a 50 lb LG also and would like to see the guard setup.  Some pictures would be great, if possible.  Thanks, 

​Hey Dave, My apologies for not posting those pics. I just saw this now. I'll keep you in mind next time at the shop and try to get some pics up for you asap.