I Forge Iron

What tool to purchase or build next?

Michael,

To quote a mentor, " what is the most expensive commodity in many of our lives? Ans. Free Time. " it proved to be very true. In my business, I generally put in fourteen hour days as a norm. Today's formula is essentially built around greater output with fewer people.

Peter

Of all the things I'd like I guess I really need to finish my jib boom crane. Not only will I be able to unload my truck/trailer more easily  but it'll free up that large piece of floor space I could certainly put to better use.

I better go check that procrastination thread eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok, I've thought about it, and can't think of anything I need, just given away a spare ring roller to a mate, getting rid of some punch presses and surplus compressors, I need to 'lose' some welding machines etc. I got a new 350 ac/dc pulse tig/stick machine last week. Sadly I am addicted to tool collecting so even though I don't 'need' anymore I'll probably acquire more somehow  :)  

Well I'm almost finished building my first propane forge (well, first if you don't count the soup-can forge). I already have three other tools in varying stages of progress... a 2x72 belt grinder, pneumatic power hammer and a rolling mill. I really need a welder to finish the last two.

I need to rig up a jackshaft and a few step pulleys with a higher-horse motor on my wood lathe.

Also one of those foot-operated, spring-loaded bowling ball-in-a-spring loaded clamp gizmos, with the ball-and-clamp articulated arms to hold welding projects in position.

Like to build a belt grinder one of these days, too.

And a Babington waste oil burner. 

And a home-brew tree bandsaw.

As it is, I'll probably be lucky if I get around to making some anvil hold-downs and jigs. I have too many projects!  :P  

I'll second L. Smith's desire for TIME. Time to forge, time to practice, time to take a class or go to a demo. 

I'm told that acres of time show up as the nest empties, here's hoping.

Don't believe them, the vacuum is automatically filled.

George

A "real" drill press (buy).  A side bench for my grinder and the drill press I hope to buy (build). A set of odd chisels for engraving and such stuff (make). Some kind of hold down for the anvil (make). A spring guillotine (make). More tongs(make/buy).

In the far far future: Rebuild a log splitter into a hydraulic press. (In my area, log splitters are cheap and presses expensive.)

And by the way: a hammer with angled pein (make buy or steal).

Cheers

Göte