I Forge Iron

ballpein battle axe

Howdy;-) 32oz, been insanely busy still haven't cleaned her up and finished her yet.  Got to finish my portable historic looking blacksmiths shop and haul it down to the pumpkin fest grounds to work in this weekend....

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy;-) 32oz, been insanely busy still haven't cleaned her up and finished her yet. Got to finish my portable historic looking blacksmiths shop and haul it down to the pumpkin fest grounds to work in this weekend....

your not talking about the one in french lick are if so that xxxxxx or i would have went.

O and nice axe im going to try one soon

Axe looks good, How about a pic of your portable blacksmiths shop? That sounds neat

Ironmike

On the trailer ready to be off loaded at the pumpkin festival. Then from the side looking at my merchant tables. From the front with the "door" open forming a nice porch to work under. Its about 8 x 8 with door being 6 1/2' long and about that high off the ground.

post-39771-0-93432000-1412828571_thumb.j

post-39771-0-07916500-1412828611_thumb.j

post-39771-0-66431900-1412828669_thumb.j

When the power hammer is up and running gonna do a bunch of axes, and I think a cheap 2# hammer would make a nice double bit battle axe. Also have a pile of wrought iron tires that would look good as a pile of forgewelded traditionally forged axes:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely Spike on that Dale, and the blade compliments the hammer eye too.  Benton my in laws found a pile of wagon rims at an auction and I think it ended up being about 3$ a piece ;-)  But I heard of a place called "Junky Joes" that had wagon rims for sale somewhere in southern Indiana, and I think there was an antique store in Cayuga that had a bunch of rusty rims which might be pretty close for you...

• 3 months later...

Got a couple new belts for the 2x48 belt grinder and had some other tools that I was cleaning up from rough forging on a 100#LG, and needed to rotate through the tools as the heated up, so I finished grinding the axe, still need to do the hardening and temper, but looks nice now;-)

post-39771-26317_thumb.jpg

We spent a little time in my shop after we got back from Divermikes hammer-in and heat treated it before Shane went the rest of his way home.  We had a good time up there with Mike and the gang form Michigan, I think we all wore Shane out up there.  I expected him to have it mounted and have some photos posted by now.

I have it in the oven, @  350 right now...   I wire brushed the bit back to where it hardened to, and left the oil blackened scale on the rest of the body.  I left my sword quenching tank, and the 5 gal bucket of ATF at a friends house across the state, along with my hammer making tongs, so I didn't have any way to oil quench the thing.  Steve did a marvelous job, a file would barely make it shine, and the eye is much softer.  It looks real good two tone black and silver like it is.  I have had it in for an hour, I will rub it with bacon grease, and call it a finish.  I have the handle ready just need to apply the bacon wax;-)