I Forge Iron

Help with translation into English

alexandr

Hi, all!

I create a new website , have problems with the translation.

Google translator gives the answer, it seems to me he's not quite right.

"Forged chandelier stylized wagon wheel"

"Chandeliers of wagon wheel"

Please, Give the correct name.

post-7792-0-53226600-1391623582_thumb.jp

post-7792-0-80488800-1391623609_thumb.jp

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice "wagon wheel chandelier," Alexandr. Translation software has a problem with syntax, seems every language orders words their own way. Getting it right is going to depend on who you're writing for. The way I said it above, (bolded) is how you'd say it in English, well how most folk would say it, in American English anyway. Adding "Stylized" would be unnecessary here, especially not with the pictures, they say it all.

Other languages would say it something like, "Chandelier of wagon wheel style" or something similar maybe. So much depends on which country a person is from I don't know of any single translation that will cover them all.

I'm thinking if you put a translation program link on your web page people needing a translation could click on it and the software would translate for their language/country. Does that make sense? I don't know, I'm just making an educated guess.

Frosty The Lucky.

These two are saying you have made the chandelier to look a bit like a wagon wheel.

Forged chandeliers, wagon wheel style

Forged chandeliers, stylized wagon wheel

This is saying you have used an existing wagon wheel and made a chandelier from it

Chandeliers made from wagon wheels

Forged chandeliers, made from wagon wheels

Chandeliers forged from wagon wheels

This is saying they are a recognized category of the chandelier making craft.

Forged wagon wheel chandeliers (i would be happy with this one)

Wagon wheel chandeliers

Hi, all!

I create a new website , have problems with the translation.

Google translator gives the answer, it seems to me he's not quite right.

"Forged chandelier stylized wagon wheel"

"Chandeliers of wagon wheel"

Please, Give the correct name.

post-7792-0-07338700-1391709406_thumb.jp

post-7792-0-65426600-1391709436_thumb.jp

post-7792-0-36713400-1391709454_thumb.jp

Very nice work, Alexandr.  

I would definitely call them "wagonwheel chandeliers" because they are made using real wheels.  If you had simply forged the iron to resemble a wagon's wheel, then would would call them "stylized" wheel chandeliers.  

"table of forged wheels from the cart"  No.  You're saying that the wheels are forged, and they are not.  The wheels are from a cart and have forged elements attached to transform the wheel into a table or chandelier.

"forged table in the same style with the chandelier"  Better.  As long as you have the table in the same picture with the chandelier so people know what you're talking about.  

Nice looking work what ever you call it. 

Translating to English English like the English Empire is one thing but they have about 10 versions of that and American English is worse about every region of the country has a different version, use of words.  Starting with is it a Cart Wheel or a Wagon Wheel?  In my area it's a wagon wheel, carts usually refer to Ox Carts which are larger wheels! 

Pictures are worth a 1000 words!

Keep up the good work.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's a seat for sure but not really a chair. I don't actually know the right term but I'd call them a "bench."  Those are beautiful work Alexandr.

One would be perfect in our mud room. The mud room is a two door entry that not only keeps winter air from blasting straight into the house it's a place to take off muddy boots, coats, etc. and put on house shoes, slippers, etc. it's to help keep mud and dirt out of the house.

If Deb and I weren't such pack rats our mud room would be perfect for just such a bench. I'd originally planned on one with a shelf under it to dry your boots on and a coat rack. Our mud room is full of OTHER stuff however.

Frosty The Lucky.

It does get horribly complicated to find the right english words for such things.  In advertising I would probably add a few details to the description and say "Wrought iron parlor bench with polished oak (or whatever wood) seat" and "matching wrought iron shelf".  The one with fabric would be similar except instead of "polished oak seat", it would be "upholstered fabric seat".  

Some of those words are there because it helps with sales to give details in certain words which are more attractive to people.  There are probably even better sales words and phrases for the benches but it might just confuse your translations more to try using them.  

English often sucks as a language.  I do business all over the world and quite often have to use the engineering term "Pitch" to refer to the pitch-length of a roller chain:  Except in english, pitch can be the tone of a sound, a sales pitch, the sap of a tree, the toss of a baseball, setting up a tent, the angle of a slope, the rocking of a boat, and about 8 other things...all with exactly the same word.  Sometimes it gets really hard to explain to someone not fluent in english what you are actually speaking of and translators are ALWAYS wrong on that one.

I feel for your translation frustrations, brother.

14 hours ago, Frank Turley said:

In American English, you have made more than one "settee", accent on the last syllable.

Settee is the word that I would use.  It is what occurred to me.  However, that word is not commonly in use in North America.  That is very nice work

Dictionary def: A seat or bench with a back.

I remember seeing similar benches  in the entry way of wealthier relatives old homes as a child.