I Forge Iron

Xmas Present to Me!

macbruce

Now I ask you, does he look like a "good boy"? Methinks he was more likely a very "BAD boy"! He's got the goods now though! I know you'll LOVE that grinder! If you need any tips on belt suppliers or sharpening blades just say so!
I promised Santa I would use it to make presents..... ^_^
I mainly got it for a semi big railing (54ft) that needs alot of bar ends nice and smooth but I already use it every day which was a big criteria. I've been getting good deals (i think)on belts through ebay in lots of ten for $3-7 ea.....

Nice grinder, I use my 2X72 grinder almost every day. I buy belts from pops knife supply
From you photo it appears you are running the grinder in the reverse direction, is there a reason?
ALL the PRO's run em backwards!! :rolleyes: Took you guys long enough :lol:
I'll check out pops, thanks.

Congrats. I will get one of those eventually. I made a NWG about a year ago and it is so much better then the craftsman I was using previously. Really like that stand you made for it as well. Gives me some ideas for what I should make for mine. 

Congrats. I will get one of those eventually. I made a NWG about a year ago and it is so much better then the craftsman I was using previously. Really like that stand you made for it as well. Gives me some ideas for what I should make for mine. 

Thanks, The stand also has a little feature to aid in moving as I found a direct approach to grappling the thing none too comfy......I welded a !'' nut to the frame so I could screw in a 1'' bolt which has about 32'' of 3/4'' pipe welded to that for a handle. This makes it far easier to handle for moving (I can move every tool in my shop except the PH"s) The handle also serves to prevent the strong inclination the thing had to go past center and wind up crashing to the floor....not an option..... :( I also welded a crossbar to the bottom of the T for stability(not shown)......Maybe I'll paint it,,,,,nah..... B)

post-15096-0-78650100-1386771614_thumb.j

You'll love that beast!  Me and my dad built one about two years ago (has it been that long!) and I use it every single day.  Wood, plastic, metal... it grinds everything and has proven to be the single most used tool in the shop.  I honestly don't know how I ever got along without it.

I've had good luck with all of the major belt makers, though some do last longer than others.  I'm still up in the air on any one brand in terms of cost vs. longevity.  No clear winner, though I will run through a lot of the coarser-grit belts more than anything simply because I do a lot of iron.

I would definitely recommend a flat platen and work rest that allows you to do "precise" bevels and the like.  Very handy.

The small wheel attachment is a good investment if you need to reach into a nook, but I don't use mine a lot unless I'm working on a knife handle.  General shop stuff hasn't needed it.  A larger wheel is definitely on my shopping list.