I Forge Iron

Buying a Bradley

Hi all, this is my first post & my first power hammer rebuild. I want to dive Rt in and bring this machine up to front line spec. I ordered the papers on it from Cortland Machine & Tool today so I'll be able to get a better picture on what is needed part wise. It needs a halve, ram guides & some new rubber bumpers, past that it seems like its all there. I'm concerned about the repairs in the pitman arm / eccentric area, what do you think? Also needs bushings at the top of the pitman arm.  Let me know what you folks think.

Andrew

post-48027-0-74653400-1386213996_thumb.j

post-48027-0-89450100-1386213979_thumb.j

post-48027-0-69524200-1386214011_thumb.jpost-48027-0-11990400-1386214028_thumb.jpost-48027-0-48225600-1386214047_thumb.jpost-48027-0-25189800-1386214064_thumb.jpost-48027-0-55502800-1386214087_thumb.jpost-48027-0-52195500-1386214112_thumb.j

E.F, I don't have a lathe or a mill but I do have a friend with the know-how & access to the rt machine tools. Kroil is great stuff! There's already been a liberal application & I think this is where I'll try out a cpl of Kano-labs other products, like the rust remover. 

In my opinion, it's a tough one to advise on. There's a balance on what's your initial spend on it as is and what $$'s it's going to take to get it working back in full health. That hammer repair could cost more to get back right than you think. I'd be careful and do the sums first before a start. It's not going to stop a rebuild however knowing what it's going to take to get it back working at the outset may not be a bad idea.

I would tell you to not put one dollar in that hammer.   You don't even have a good start.   I don't see a ram or an anvil/sow block. If you can find the parts at all you will spend thousands of dollars.   They do not use bushing of any kind, they have special bolts with a ball end that fits into a matching socket.  Really too bad that someone used this as a parts machine for another hammer.

The ram, anvil & sow block are there, just not in the pictures.  What I know to be missing- the helve, ram guides & a few bolts, the rubber bumpers are there but pretty beatsplit. I know there are better candidates but this one is at hand & it came to me at scrap value. I'd like to plan out the rebuild, do all the figuring & get or make the needed parts so everything is ready to go, then start turning wrenches & scraping paint. I'd hate to take it to the scrap yard. 

Maybe if you posted pics of everything you have you could get more accurate answers. All anyone can comment on is what they can see. I wish I could be more help than that, but I don't know anything about power hammers... other than I think I want one. -grin-

I like the Bradley hammers simply because they look so neat.  Can't say how much you'll spend on bringing this one back to life, but if it's a hobby project..... well, it will certainly be cheaper than drinking in the local pub!

There was a fellow on IFI not too long ago that was documenting a rebuild of his helve hammer.  Not sure if it was a Bradley or not, but it was a very good thread and had lots of photos detailing all the issues he had.  I don't think he's finished it yet, and it's been some time.

You have a ton of work ahead of you to restore this hammer. It looks like all the specialty pivot bolts and there mating inserts are gone and that is why there are repairs to the shell around the crank. With the pin set up shown there is insufficient flexibility in the system. You MUST get those parts replaced. I have purchase 2 Bradleys, a 300 and 500, both with all their parts except the helve for the 300. I never paid more than scrap. In fact, I ran the 500 before I bought and the motor was included in the deal. The 300 needed a complete rebuild which I did. I photographed all the parts can post anything you wish to see. Here are images of the spherical end bolts. Note that these are bearing surfaces and they are hard. After running the hammer several years, I did break one and made a replacement from a grade 8 bolt and that is working fine. The problem you will have is that the threads in the holes that accept these bolts are likely severally damaged due to the use of pins. I would highly recommend that you not invest in this machine but save your money for something that is more restorable. Another thing that seems to be missing is the upper half of the husk which clamps the beam in place. You could fabricate one from heavy plate, but you will likely need a very large mill or big radial drill to properly locate the hole that must match with the holes in the lower half. There are several large bolts which lock these two pieces together. Again, this hammer is just not worth putting money into. You'll have several thousand dollars tied up in it an for that you can go get a rebuilt 100 lb LG. In fact, you could probably buy two bigger hammers for what it will cost you to rebuild this one.

Patrick

Man - such negativity on this thread... At this rate nobody should be fixing up old machines. Yes, it needs work. If you're willing to do the work, and you do it yourself instead of paying someone, and you derive great pleasure and satisfaction from saving a really cool chunk of machinery - do it! I'd love to have that much of a machine to rebuild into one. Seems like a way better investment to put the energy into repairing this than put the same amount of work (or more) into building a less effective machine from scrap and an old tire...

I will add my ignorance to the topic. I have not rebuilt a hammer before and that is not my inclination, I would rather forge than repair the hammers I have, but anyone who uses one much spends some time on repairs. With that disclaimer I think I would think about who is saying NOT to repair, these 2 guys actually have experince and knowledge. If you just want to rebuild it that is fine but sounds like might not be worth it, I had a friend who resurrected a large Chambersburg, after the whole experince he thought he would have been better off buying a 100# air hammer.

I am sorry if I have rained on someone's parade but the OP did ask what do you think.  Based on 20+ years of rebuilding hammers and 40 or so hammers some of which were Bradley's, that is what I thought.  Most people get a big dose of sticker shock when they find out the price of Bradley parts. It is possible to have 1 part cost over $1000.   Many parts you will have to build yourself.   Many of the pieces that are there have been destroyed by someone who did not know what they were doing.  Bradley hammers NEVER used any pins and bushing on any of there hammers, and each place this has been done is going to be very expensive and time consuming to repair.

Many of the parts  needed there is not even a part to use as a pattern, or the  mating part has been change making it very hard for an inexperienced person to know what is needed.

Please accept my apology if I was negative,  I was trying to answer his question as honestly as I could, based on my past experience. I have a few black holes for money sitting around my place that I wish someone had warned be about before I threw a bunch of money away.  

If you want to rebuild this hammer for the learning experience then I will offer my help. If you need a hammer to use in the near future you can spend your money in a better way than building this hammer.

Is that an Upright Strap hammer or an Upright Helve hammer?  Sourcing a wooden helve would be easier than getting a new steel helve like on the Strap hammer.

The options have been fairly well covered in posts above, it's going to be a labor of love and not a money maker.  If you need to start selling product next week go buy a modern air hammer.

One final option that no one has mentioned is that you don't need to be true to the original deign if you don't want to be.  Instead of fixing all those bad ball joints you could hybridize the old mechanical into a air hammer by driving the helve with a cylinder.  

• 2 weeks later...

It is a huge project. The guides and helve re not really  a big problem and are pretty easy to fabricate. You biggest issue i see is the aparent lack of an uper  husck and about half of the lower castimg apears to be missing. This is a difficult part to fabricate and locating a replacement is unlikely. To add to tjat it apears the whole drive has been badly abused and quite improperly repaired and will require extensive machining ti bring back. Cortland isnt much use for these parts in my experience. This hamer can be saved, but you must be prepared to put an awful lot into it..

I have a 100 Bradley Strap Hammer that I finished restoring a year ago. It was nowhere near as worn as yours and it took me well over a year to restore it in my own blacksmith/fab/machine shop. Its not an impossible job, but its going to take ALOT of time and money to make it happen. Access to a similar hammer could be of some help if you know of one in your area. Best of luck to you, they're great hammers.

Is this hammer free, or nearly so? I wouldnt recomend putting out much $ upfront. The Bradley is a wonderful machine and this size/style hammer would become a central part of a working production/professional shop. But you are looking at a feww hundred hours/ or thousands of dollars. A combination of time and money must be reached based on your  own needs/capacities. Bradley built many machines like this one and surely there is one out there in better shape, or more complete. I could rebuild this machine, but would likely pass for a better one. ( I already have one like it, that is restored and operational) If you were to choose this massive undertaking i hope you have a background in machinery, and if you dont, you certaianly will by the time it runs! If you do dive into this I would be willing to throw in advice as to how to proceed having been through many such machines. I may even be able to loan a few taps for the wierd bolts.