I Forge Iron

Forged Frog on a Lily Pad

jeremy k

Wow! This is really nice! The lily pad looks very realistic and your frog is really well done. Thank you for the progression picture as well, it is fun to see this come to life! Did you use hand punches or a press or power hammer to forge that little guy?

Jeremy,

Outstanding. There is,I believe, a fairly well known table made by a Smith over 20 years ago featuring the frog. It has a series of pieces emerging from the center of the table (under a glass top) and progressing to each corner. Each piece is a little more developed until the last piece in each corner is a fully developed frog.It grows from tadpole to full adult. I still remember seeing that one photo over 20 years later. I tried to find the steps to make the frog and never could. Your photos above are much appreciated. Did you make the table to which I refer?

chichi - Thank You.

I seem to remember a table like you describe, I think it's in one of my books or magazines possibly. I was not the maker of that table though.

Making these frogs is are good demonstrations of doing a forging with few tools, hammer and a vise.

• 2 weeks later...