I Forge Iron

trouble starting fire

some coal is harder to start than others. should be marble size up to about 3/4 diameter. I start by using 3 double sheets of newspaper, wad the first one as tight as you can, second one tight around first and third tight around second, light it on fire, with fire down let it get burning some them shove loose coal around it up to about half height of paper ball, give it some air, then shove more coal to barely cover it, leave a small hole at the top and give lots of air to make it hot. as paper ball burns out it will cave in, keep shoving coal in till its about 4 inches above fire pot.

or you can split up some short scrap lumber pieces into small sticks, use paper to get the wood started, then add air and when wood is burning good shove some coal onto it, just don't smother it.

I can't seem to get a fire started very easily. I'm using lighter fluid to start it but it doesn't work well. I think I need to get the coal smaller if so I don't know how big to get it. As you can tell I am just starting out and need some help.:confused:

You said something about using lighter fluid.That could be dangerous! If you have a small fire( not burning well) ,and squirt some more fluid on it,the flame can and will follow the stream back to the can...and your hand!The safest way I know to start a fire is with a match...Do it SAFE!!!

There are several Blueprints on how to build a fire.

BP0036 Fire and Smoke 01
BP0037 Fire and Smoke 02
BP0042 Fire and Smoke 03
BP0045 Fire and Smoke 04
BP0046 Fire and Smoke 05
BP0048 Fire and Smoke 06
BP0137 Fire Starter
there may be other Blueprints on the same subject

Smithy, Sometimes coal can be hard to light and get going. Don't feel bad, I've watched smiths with many years of experience have the same trouble. Not all coal is the same and tends to vary in it's properties a bit, even the same name brand from bag to bag will be a little different I find. Read over all the blueprints here on IFI concerning the subject and you will arrive at a system that works for you. That's where I found the help I needed as I am in my first year of smithing, mostly on my own and had the same troubles. What I found in the BP's was the tip to use charcoal to start your fire. That was just the help I needed.

You can forgo coal altogether and just use charcoal exclusively, even make all you need right at home and there is a BP on that too. What I use is a fairly large cast iron firepot/tuyere with an ashdump going straight down through the bottom, like looking down a trumpet. There is a sliding gate at the bottom, a 1/4" plate that closes over the hole. This I open so the pot is open from top to bottom. Up the hole goes two whole sheets of newspaper wadded with a tail hanging down from the second wad out the dump. Now on top of the grate ( 5" dia. 5/16" thick cast iron floor drain grate) I put about two cups of hardwood charcoal that is roughly walnut size pieces, just bust up the bigger ones. I light the pigtail and leave open the gate for now, letting the paper burn upwards. It doesn't take long. Then I slide the gate shut and give air JUST A BREATH, very slight. Quickly all of the charcoal is burning and a lot of snap crackle pop, so have your safety glasses on. Now rake in coal from the sides all around it will readily take with the charcoal booster fire now very lively. Now and then The paper burns out on me if I am too soon with the air or give it too much. No biggy, just reload with more paper and light it again. Ever since I started doing this I have quickly had a coal fire going every time and no more headaches.

I believe that as a beginner the most important thing I am learning at this point is how to start and manage/read my forgefire. If you're not doing this properly and with a feeling that you are in control at all times, i.e., the fire is doing what you want it to do when you want it to, then just practice that for now, no actual forging, just work with your fire and learn from it.

An important point here is the size of your coal, as Irn said, 3/4" to marble size. I get my coal in forty pound plastic bags. "St. Nicholas" brand by the Blaschak coal corp. located in Mahanoy city, Pa. (570)773-2113. It goes about $6.50 a bag. I get mine from a local dealer that sells mostly anthracite home heating coal in bulk (DON'T USE THAT STUFF) and he sells coal and wood burning stoves. A similar dealer in your area may be able to accomodate you.

When I open a new bag it isn't really ready for use, there are a lot of "fines" that have to be separated out from the "beans". What I do is use an old horsedrawn slipscraper, looks kind of like a wheelbarrow with the front cut off, just use a wheelbarrow if you have one. I dump in the whole bag and then use a frisbee to pull it up the sloped sides of the scraper, the let it fall. Generaly the beans roll out at the bottom and a heap of black sand behind it, then scoop out the good stuff with a coffee can or something. That's how I "clean" my coal and am left with little balls of the size Irn described above in his post. Good Luck! Dan:)

I use the same method by using newspaper not the one has the ads on just the printed paper i crush it together then put a hole in the center of it then start it add little coke burned coal with a little air keep on adding coke until going. after you get done forge add some green coal so you have coke for next time

Kudos to Junior AND Bruce. You may take this to the bank. Leave the edge of the gas wrench in the fire too long and you will replace the tip. Good dry coke lights well most of the time. Lump charcoal lights with one page from the shopper and this in turn will light coal handily. Depending on the day, I use Juniors and Bruces methods both.

I'm spoiled. At the state fair I work across the aisle from a cooper/woodworker that sits at a shaving horse all day. I bring a few big bags of his shavings home every year and they last me all year. A big hatfull smashed down in the firepot and one try is always enough (kinda like when Bruce uses the torch, I have a friend who always starts his that way too). If I get caught without my trusty shavings I go back to the three newspaper method.

If you are having trouble I suggest getting any kind of little wood fire going and then rake your coke from yesterdays fire in on top of that. I used to just pick up sticks in the yard or splits chunks off of 2X's or whatever on the hardie.

it makes a difference if your paper is damp or dry to, its made of wood so it absorbs humidity, keep your forge starting paper in a sealed container of some sort.

Also lay big chunks of coal on top of or close beside the fire, once it cokes, its easy to break up.

The easiest way to start a coal (or charcoal) fire is to put a shovel full of coals from the woodstove into the firepot and cover with coal/coke while adding the air. If you don't have the woodstove going (or have one even) then the newspaper rolled tight is the next best. You need a good draw to the forge. Sometimes putting a shovel full of coals or burning paper into the chimney will preheat it and start the draw needed for a good draft. I've never used an excellerant (lighter fluid, etc) for the forge. Wood or paper, no matter, the draw of the chimney is what will get it going.

Hey, Smithy, A friend brought me some "un processed" coal.(really big chunks)
Anyway, I used charcoal for BBQ, grill, to start it.
I used the back of a ball pein hammer to break it down to smaller pieces.
just make a pile,start it, and then add coal after it's going well. ;)

I put 4 or 5 pinecones in the firepot. They light up very easily. Add a gentle air blast. Pile coal around and on top. After a rain and pinecones are wet a handful of fatliter splinters work beautifully. Just my 2 pennies worth..

I tear n-paper into appx 8 x 10 squares, ball them up. Use about 8- 10. Then 'shred' a couple of pine cones on top of that. Get it lit - give it some air when it gets burning good then put a couple scoops of coal on top. Usually works fine for me.

Ken