I Forge Iron

Amazing power of example.

Sorry, still trying to figure out how to work these quotes, and probably shouldn't add anything to the discussion anyway!

To quote a previous thread go to that thread and on the lower right of the text box, click quote button. PLEASE remove (delete) the material that does not concern your reply. No use quoting pages and pages of material when you only reply to a sentance.

Then type in your reply and save.

I think the only logical conclusion is that he demonstrates a group of methods that work. There are other ways that work as well. I think what is more telling is what you don't see, lots of workarounds and faddish tools. He has a good hot forge a large stable anvil and vise solidly mounted that wont move when you use it.

Stewart: I envy you in many ways, I had to teach myself blacksmithing as Father discouraged it in favor of a paying trade. I think you're doing well in repaying your old master, you are passing the craft to others. The only way to repay a good teacher is to teach. When I show someone the basics, help them get some equipment together and get set up, I bid they teach others to repay me.

You are a good guy Stewart, Mr. Czub would be pleased.

Frosty the Lucky.

thank you so much, my friend....................I love teaching guys how to forge things............

I just calls em like I see's em. There's a reason I throw a little snappy poo at you, I lie you. I only give people I consider friends a hard time. Just like you were with the anvil horn post.

Nothing beats passing what I've learned on. I have my fingers crossed that at least a couple people contacted at the State Fair will actually come by. Two are 10 year olds, one I met at the fair and spent some time talking to his Father, the other called night before last and I talked to his Mother for a while. Here's hoping the boys will pester their folks enough to get them into the shop.

My Father and Mother started me helping in Dad's shop when I was old enough to walk in it without opening a vein, by 10 I was rolling beads and sharpening corners on a spinning lathe, at 14 I was spinning from blanks. Getting kids started at skilled crafts, especially ones that demand you listen to the material and tools talking to you is nothing but good for them.

Wow that was awful windy for a simple "your welcome" I guess I'm actually kind of excited.

Frosty the Lucky.

Isaac Doss in AR "retired" multiple times; but kept having to take the shop back as nobody was willing to work as hard as he did to make it a going concern. The last time he retired it was due to bad eyes---cataracts; then he had the surgery and started right back in to forging again---he was in his 80's when I met him and told tales about when the local interstate was a rocky dirt road and he brought his forgings around by horse drawn wagon...

• 4 weeks later...

Seems to this rank newbie that being comfortable with the anvil pointing in either direction is akin to being comfortable with the TIG torch in either hand: A necessary skill.

Am I wrong?

Great video in the OP, by the way.

Ratstomper said after reading - "I shall live tired, but I shan't retire." Leave it to a buncha blacksmiths to argue about correct technique when such an inspirational gem of craftsman philosophy pops up. ;)

Sorry I messed up the quote text...

I am with you! First I plan to live that long and second I plan to be able to do Blacksmithing and all sorts of other things long after his age.

Things like: fishing, Pool, Reading, Walking, a few chin-ups, Dressing myself, feeding myself, climbing nimbley into the back of a pickup, jumping out of that same pickup!... And so on!

This is nothing short of inspiring. I love it when the older folks prove to us youger 48 year olds that there is lots of useful life and time left regardless of how high your anvil is or where you hold your thumb! There is more than one way to live to be a productive 100+. I think one of the main things is to stay active and have something you are doing and something you are learning. Gotta keep both mind and body active. Teaching, learning from and being around the young also helps!

What, no safety glasses?

That's ok Glenn.......he doesn't need safety glasses on because he has the horn facing the right way and his thumb on the top of the hammer! :)

Ok seriously! An 84-year old man with an English accent, and we turn it into a hammer holding and anvil placing showdown!

Bottom line? I don't put my thumb on the top of the handle but hey, if he's been doing it for 74 years, and he can still hold a hammer, it's apparently must not be killing him! There are others that have forged for very long periods of time with their thumb not on the top, without killing themselves. Point is, it doesn't matter! Both can forge, and neither one's arm has fallen off.

Anvil placement may be a little more technical. I forge, horn to the right, but occasionally I'll slip around to the other side to get an odd angle. Their are pro's and cons to either way, but the bottom line is, you can make a J-hook or a $20,000 railing, if your skill level is up to it, regardless of whether your anvil is facing right or facing left. Whever feels good and whatever works for you.

I have my preferences!
You have yours!

Neither is wholly and eternally right or wrong.

Safety glasses on the other hand.....LOL Hey he's still got both eyes, but I wouldn't advise working without some sort of protection there.