I Forge Iron

What's on your BBQ?

I was planning on making a few more skewers (you can never have enough!) and maybe some hot dog/marshmallow forks when a friend showed me this picture, and I think i'd like to make something similar. (I've never beer grilled a chicken before so i need to do a little research) but it got me wondering, what other other unique BBQ ideas are out there?
I'd like to see what you all have created, and maybe brainstorm a few new projects.

chicken roaster.bmp

post-1-0-92960100-1341897869_thumb.jpg

Very Whimsical! However where I come from BBQ is more like a religion. What we have on the BBQ is *meat*!

When I make skewers I like to flatten and bevel them---like a sword blade---to keep the stuff from rotating on the skewer when it gets turned; but of course that's for shish kabob not BBQ...

For the medieval/renaissance cooking gear, (exp: Opera di M. Bartolomeo Scappi (1570) a ) I like to make the spits and spit holders so I can index the spit at at least 4 places to get more even cooking. One method is to have a sq section on a round piece of stock with the holder tight enough it won't rotate. So you push the spit an inch or so to release the sq section, rotate it on the round section and pull back an inch to lock it in the new orientation. A fancier way is to have two sq sections separated by the round section and oriented 45 deg off getting you 8 possible permutations---really need a broad spit to keep things from rotating or a set of "forks" with a sq hole that slide on a sq spit to hold things in place and make them turn with the spit.

Iron and Brass Implements of the English House, Irons in the Fire (beware there are at least 3 books with this title only one of which is about down hearth cooking), Savouring the Past, various ironwork collection books, etc, and of course the Opera give examples of cooking tools you can forge.

My next big one is that I've promised a copy of the clockwork spit jack described in Moxon's "Mechanics Exercises"

If you've never barbecued a chicken, you have to try it. We call it Drunken Chicken, and it is delicious!

The holder shown has the chicken upside down, which won't work.

A lot of people will try to use their preferred drinking beer for the DC, but that's a bad idea because a lot of lite beers don't have the flavor you're looking for. You might as well just use water.

My favorite beer for cooking a DC is Steel City Malt Liquor. It's a thick, almost black, beer with a disgusting flavor if you try to drink it straight. But, it's very strong and the steam it generates is full of rich flavor that penetrates well. To half/three-quarters a can, I add garlic powder, black pepper, salt, butter, oregano, etc. When this stuff gets hot, the smoke/steam really smells great.

What a lot of people don't realize is that chicken skin does a good job of stopping the flavor of a rub from getting into the meat. That's why they have syringes to inject the flavoring under the skin. When you attack the problem from the inside, the flavor from the steam/smoke goes right into the meat. It's absolutely wonderful.

We have a rotisserie on our grill that bastes the bird nicely, but I think i'll try the beer idea for a change!

I found these circle skewers on the interwebs, and I like the look of them, but wouldn't they take way too much space on the grill?
Maybe if I make them in graduated sizes so they fit inside each other....

post-22216-0-47283400-1341984521_thumb.j

Here's another great idea- Corn Cob Holders!
I never used them myself, (the barbarian I am) but what an easy way to thank someone for a BBQ invite!
(In the last pic, they even used old forks! How cool is that!)

(I'm not sure who created these or who to credit, so Thanks to whoever you may be!)

post-22216-0-41048200-1341985054_thumb.j

post-22216-0-87092400-1341985069_thumb.j

post-22216-0-95149100-1341985492_thumb.j

Jacques: *that's* they way I'd like to travel! "Every things else is Cheese!"

wolfshieldrx: I'll try to look it up tonight it's on my shelf of Medieval and Renaissance cooking resources in my study. Frank Turley mentioned another one by the same title about branding irons so that's not it! (and I goofed the first time I ordered it and got the one that is old cowboy stories IIRC and had to order the cooking one again!

Are you interested in Medieval and Renaissance cooking? I've been providing tools, research, encouragement and an appetite to a SCA member that has been working in this area for a number of years. In fact she was just laurelled in it and we are doing a demonstration Feast at Battlemoor Crusades the end of August based on Bartolomeo Scappi's Opera. If you are near by stop in!

Jacques: *that's* they way I'd like to travel! "Every things else is Cheese!"

wolfshieldrx: I'll try to look it up tonight it's on my shelf of Medieval and Renaissance cooking resources in my study. Frank Turley mentioned another one by the same title about branding irons so that's not it! (and I goofed the first time I ordered it and got the one that is old cowboy stories IIRC and had to order the cooking one again!

Are you interested in Medieval and Renaissance cooking? I've been providing tools, research, encouragement and an appetite to a SCA member that has been working in this area for a number of years. In fact she was just laurelled in it and we are doing a demonstration Feast at Battlemoor Crusades the end of August based on Bartolomeo Scappi's Opera. If you are near by stop in!

Thanks! Finally foud a used copy of the book on amazon. I dont do the medi/ren thing but ilooks like fun. I do like outdoor cooking whether a bbq or campfire. Made a trammel for my son today to use with the tripod I made him earlier. And I've made a bunch of weenie/marshmallow roasting forks for family and friends and even a couple squirrel cookers. Bart

"Irons in the Fire; A History of Cooking Equipment" Rachael Feild hope you found the right one...

did you look through the camp kitchen part of http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2009/03/renaissance-kitchen.html ?

I've done the spit holder and the pot spiders with the built in spit holders for small items and several other ones for my friend doing the Renaissance downhearth cooking demos. (Last big event we both attended she served my peacock stuffed with duck stuffed with chicken---at a week long campout!)

It's a series of engravings from Scappi's Opera of what the well provided kitchen of 1570 should look like.

The odd think is I have that site up and just refreshed it and see it but when I copied the url there is a problem...

http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2009/03/renaissance-kitchen.html

OK I double checked this one and could see it.

Now that is great! I love the picnic basket the size of a stretcher. The campfire set would be a treat to see in person. Anyone know if there are any modern museum galleries or other photos?

I think something like this could be a big ticket item for those discerning individuals who entertain, but would never buy a cowboy grill. (Oh, Muffy! The rack of lamb looks divine! Pour me another glass of the '97 Cabernet while you are up.)

Well the stuff I've repro'd will all be out smutted over and in use at the SCA's Battlemoor Crusades event in Colorado in a little over a month---I need to get cracking as I have two more spiders to mount spit holders to.

They cooked a pig on my version of the spitholders a couple of months ago.

As is quite common in working from medieval and renaissance pictures some of the stuff will not work as shown---the angles of the legs for the spiders mean the spit holders won't work as shown so I modified the holders to look more like a set of long horn horns and now they work for all the legs sort of |_____|.

I was quite pleased as a authority on medieval and renaissance cooking, (published translations of various period cookbooks), took one look at the stuff I had made and nailed it's provenance exactly and complimented the cook on her set up.