I Forge Iron

My smithy is complete. (ish) + photo diary of the build

So after moving home to a place with a dreaded lack of sheds - I've had to hang up my hammers and put away my anvil in storage untill i could figure out a way of getting them back out for use. I decided to build a dedicated workshop for myself useing some of my unused backyard and attempting to labour on as much of the build to reduce the cost. Its not a huge set up - but it works well for me at roughly 180 square feet.
During the build i decided to do a photo journal of the set up and i thought that would be nice to share with you folks. - Unfortunatly i forgot to take a photo of the space before i leveled it off - suffice to say a few tonnes of earth and vegitation where removed before the ground was leveled and the foundations dug.

Anyway here goes.

1) Clearing - no pics - took about 4 weeks - removed some patio - 1 tonne of gravel - couple tonnes of earth - 2 trees - leveled of by hand with a lump hammer and a set level.

0RSFL.jpg

cakuA.jpg

doesnt look like much - but that ^ was 7 tonnes of concrete we mixed and poured on site. couldnt get a lorry in so it took all day between 2 of us.

Hb55G.jpg

GYSm0.jpg

DGB8s.jpgNVIL4.jpg
MjCrz.jpg
EZ5kd.jpgH2rW3.jpg
wDKNn.jpg
DVT87.jpg
TFQPL.jpg

thankyou for your time.

Kendall “YOU’RE THE MAN” B)
I am always impressed when someone such as you takes a vision of a “thought seed” and then plants it into the soil of determination and then waters it with action!
“Bingo” it turns into a blacksmith shop!

That fact that you had to mix and pour your concrete I think is a good thing.
It seems as though the more skin a person has in the game of life the harder they play!
Sweat equity invested in your shop will make it hard for someone to take it from you because it came at a valuable price (your sweat, tired muscles………………….)

I certainly enjoyed viewing the development of you new shop. It is NICE!
It will be a place to make your dreams develop into reality.
What you can do in there now will only be limited by your dreams, desire, and skills.

I wish you the very best!
Ted Throckmorton

PS. By having a shop of your own, you must be careful to not catch the “Tool Junkie” disease. I have tried to avoid it, but from what I can tell, there is not a simple cure for it. :(

So I guess I will have to suffer with it and make as many tools as I can so my kids will have something to sale at a garage sale after I leave. :)

yes a schimatic! thats the word i was looking for

Just a few doodles on some napkins im afraid - i mostly stood on site with a tape measure and set out the dimensions with stakes. - the shape is a bit unusual as it's angled to fit the peice of land we had spare.

Kendall “YOU’RE THE MAN” B)
I am always impressed when someone such as you takes a vision of a “thought seed” and then plants it into the soil of determination and then waters it with action!
“Bingo” it turns into a blacksmith shop!

That fact that you had to mix and pour your concrete I think is a good thing.
It seems as though the more skin a person has in the game of life the harder they play!
Sweat equity invested in your shop will make it hard for someone to take it from you because it came at a valuable price (your sweat, tired muscles………………….)

I certainly enjoyed viewing the development of you new shop. It is NICE!
It will be a place to make your dreams develop into reality.
What you can do in there now will only be limited by your dreams, desire, and skills.

I wish you the very best!
Ted Throckmorton

PS. By having a shop of your own, you must be careful to not catch the “Tool Junkie” disease. I have tried to avoid it, but from what I can tell, there is not a simple cure for it. :(

So I guess I will have to suffer with it and make as many tools as I can so my kids will have something to sale at a garage sale after I leave. :)

Ha ha thankyou Ted, very kind of you to say, - I seem to have got the tool junkie bug already, although people arent makeing it easier for me to walk the straight path when they visit the shop in the last few weeks alone ive had free tools given... and i couldnt possibly turn down free tools...