I Forge Iron

Alec S, Two weeks with Brian Brazeal

Alec and his mom made it here Friday night. Alec went to the MFC meeting Saturday, and impressed everyone with his striking. I am sorry to say I did not get pictures of his first time striking because I had to do a few thing immediately after the meeting. I did get to take pics today though https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/AlecSTheBeginning Alec was great, He is young but strikes as hard as anyone. He knows how to get his hammer up, and is one of the fastest learners I have ever seen. He told me he has looked at all the pictures, and I saw the proof that he could look through the pictures and make rings from copper that are beautiful. This is going to be great, this is one set of pictures you will not want to miss. He already started directing while Brian or I was his striker. He has a great sense of humor, but stays focussed.

Alec is a lucky guy to have his mom arrange 2 weeks learning from Brian. At such an age to be focused on an art/trade is rare. I think this is a good example for other younger people who use the phrase "I can't do it I'm too young (or weak)" that they can do it.

Have fun Alec, you lucky guy. I look forward to seeing more pictures.

Heres the pics for Alec day 2. https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/AlecDay2 I took pics of him striking for Brian as they made a punch for making the eye in a hammer. This includes all the steps, the billet is prepared then the hole punched then the striking end dressed up and the punch end was taken to round. If you leave the punch end similar to the striking end, it represents what the blank is for any of the smaller fullers, or the hot cut or round punches. Alec was great, I enjoy watching him strike. I have included a video at the end, that shows Alec striking with the 12 pound hammer I consider heavy. This young man can be considered an inspiration to us all. He has been looking at the photos we have been posting for months. He said when he walked into the shop it was as if he was in the photos. After he struck for the punch I struck for him and he made another punch. The pics of the tools are what he has made so far, either he struck or directed to make the tools pictured.

Wow- that kid can swing a hammer, you can hear it in the video those are solid hits. He already has a nice pile of goodies going there, he has done a lot of work in just two days. I hope you guys can keep up. I like the pallet set up it looks more stable than the step, gives him more room to stand on.

Heres the pics from Day 3 https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/AlecSDay3 Alec did great, took another video today, It amazes me to see Alec swing that 12 pound hammer. When I left he was still forging with Brian. Hes like the energizer Bunny.

Took a few pics, I was busy so did not get as many. Alec made a pair of hammer tongs today, he did some long tapers with tool steel to make them. He then decided to make a drift. For any of you not familiar with that, this drift is made from 1 1/8" round 1045. He did a long taper using Brians 5 lb. rounding hammer. I think he weighs around 80 pounds and I weigh 280 so I have know idea what it calculates out to be but for someone that much smaller than me to be swinging a 5 lb hammer enough times to make a drift is unreal. He loves it, wants to make those big blows. https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/AlecDay4# I left a little early, Brian will probably strike for him tonight to finish the drift and I would not be surprised if I take pictures in the morning of another drift he has started.

Careful that he doesn't get injured with the compressed schedule. I was on a roll once when I was at a conference, and I guess I overdid it. Fortunately, an old fella grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and dragged me to a power hammer, saying, it's time you learned something about one of these before you hurt yourself.

Careful that he doesn't get injured with the compressed schedule. I was on a roll once when I was at a conference, and I guess I overdid it. Fortunately, an old fella grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and dragged me to a power hammer, saying, it's time you learned something about one of these before you hurt yourself.

Alec has been hammering more than most out there, and has naturally learned how to use his body and hold his hammer. Notice how Alec holds the hammer; it's not heavy that way.

I would suggest that people start learning to forge with a 3 pound or over hammer, not 2 1/2 pound and under like most people suggest. A small hammer will wear you out and not get the work done.

Power hammer- he don't need no stinking power hammer- he is a power hammer. I agree with what Brian says on hammer size- I can not seem to get anything done with less that 4 pounds, the hammer is doing the work not your arm.
Ok in that last set of pictures Alec just made a sweet pair of tongs. How long did that take? I would probably take the better part of a day to do that, they look great. Can he make me a pair?