I Forge Iron

Alec S, Two weeks with Brian Brazeal

I ended up staying busy most of the day and had to go to a meeting, but when I got back I got a picture of all the tools so far. Brian and Alec then decided to make a set hammer. This set hammer came out beautiful. It will look even better when finished. I left at 10:00 last night, cause we will be getting ready to head to Artmania in Washington LA on Friday. I will take the camera but am not sure when I will get to post more pics. If any of you are willing, Alec will be working away with us in Washington Louisiana. https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/AlecDay5# He is even more unbelievable when you see him in person.

Obviously alec has the most important thing, a positive attitude and a great desire to be a blacksmith. Everyone has all kinds of potential as we get older we lose sight of the real things we want and think of what other people are doing rather than what we wanted in the first place. I bet alot me people are looking at this any right now and feeling pretty self concious

Artmania was a blast. We got to have fun and forge with a bunch of smiths. Everyone was great, Old and Rusty came by so it was good to put a face with a name. A raffle was held for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and when we were packing up they said $5009.00 were raised for the cause. It was a refreshing change of pace, at one time Brian and I had Alec going back and forth striking for both of us. https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/Artmania2011#
I would like to send out a big thanks to the LAMA group for making this such a successful event. The weather ended up being beautiful, it was a great weekend.

Lyle,

Thank you for posting the pictures and passing along the total dollar amount the event raised. My son Daniel and I had a great time with you folks on Saturday and are still talking about what a talented guy Alec S. is. Daniel was hard at it again at his forge on Sunday and will be demonstarting for a private school tomorrow. He will definitley be pointing the teachers and students to view your photos of Alec S. in action. Daniel and I are looking forward to seeing you at Brian's shop come the end of May.

Cheers,

Chris Riffe

Alec has been hammering more than most out there, and has naturally learned how to use his body and hold his hammer. Notice how Alec holds the hammer; it's not heavy that way.

I would suggest that people start learning to forge with a 3 pound or over hammer, not 2 1/2 pound and under like most people suggest. A small hammer will wear you out and not get the work done.

Brian,
Alec looks like he is really doing well and enjoying himself. He will do well with you teaching. I should have had one of those steps when I was there!

Perry

LDW; I cannot help but be impressed with the simple but complex diversity of activity that is simultaneously represented and captured in your photos that you so generously share with us.
What I see in the photos tells me from the point of view of approximately 57 years of experience as a blacksmith, that all of this did not happen by chance.
I am sure that other experienced blacksmiths must also have an appreciation for underlying ground work that it takes to make this type of event happen successfully, and that it is not by accident.

To a common person’s eye when viewing a blacksmith at work, they usually see something that seems different, simple and interesting, as it should be if it is done skillfully.
Most visitors (on-lookers) are realistically un-aware of the many hours of practice, sweat, money and discipline it takes to hone the skills enough to make it all look routine and easy.

This is to “Alex”; there is no question that it takes many hours of practice, sweat, money, and sacrifice, in exchange for the desired prize of “skills learned”!
And then, what was once considered to be sacrifice turns out to be “Pride of Craftsmanship”.
And it all becomes worth every bit of money spent, sweat, burns, sore feet and arms, ball games missed, and black hands and faces. Plus you are a role model for other young people to follow!

As I see it, this has been an accomplishment that required the skills of Brian Brazeal combined with the skills and assistance of LDW (AKA; Lyle Wynn), teaching an especially energetic and willing young man named “Alex” the skills of blacksmithing that makes it a win, win for all of us.
That is because the entire blacksmithing community wins from this example of what can be done.

I take my hat off to Brian who has so proficiently mastered the craft of blacksmithing and who is also able to effectively educate other people of like minds.
And then to LDW for his skills as an accomplished blacksmith who doubles as a communicator via, posts made, and also for his skills to tell the story with photos.

Bottom Line; again I thank you for what you do for the blacksmithing community!
When I view the photos that you post, I just relax and enjoy looking at the background activity, the characters involved, the skills involved, the layout of the area (environment), and the activity that I miss so much!

I hope it goes without saying, “Please keep doing what you are doing”. Many of us gain from it even though you may not hear from us. I could not resist thanking you all!
So; “Thank You”
Ted Throckmorton

Ironstein, you are correct that was aluminum round stock.

Ted T, thanks for the wonderful post you made. One of the first conversations I had with Alec was when he walked in the shop and was just looking around. I asked him if he had seen the pictures and he said he had seen all of them more than once. He had made rings based on pictures, His mother arrived wearing a copper ring with a leaf on it and a beautiful little penny scroll on the end. He had learned all of the processes for doing it by looking at the pictures. It really made me glad I had been posting the pics. I get the same feeling from reading your post. Alec is a prime example that size has very little to do with what can be accomplished if you have the will.

Here are a few pics of the tools Alec has made along with the items he has made or has been given to take home with him, keep in mind that even though Alec has been here for 11 days, the tools made in these photos were made in only six of the days he has been here. https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/AlecsTools#

Chris I am looking forward to you and Daniel coming to Brians as well, and I am happy to let you know that I won the item Daniel put in the raffle, can you believe it?

I started this thread by saying this is one you will not want to miss. From the first day I met Alec it was easy to tell he had a level head on his shoulders and the energy to get a lot accomplished with this visit. He will not leave till tomorrow afternoon so he still has a chance to think about what he has not done tonight and make it happen tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for supporting what Alec is doing, I am having a blast.

Alec and Brian both made a flatter today. Heres the pics of the flatters https://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/LastDayWithAlec#
It funny how someone from another country can point something out that is different here. Alecs mom was amazed we have drive through ATM's, this is something they do not have in England. I will miss you Alec, you to Ce'cile we all had a great time. Alec, keep us informed on your progress. Show us a pic of the racks you make to hold those new tools.

Thanks for the pictures Lyle. As always i look forward to these threads. I learn something new every time. That is an interesting flatter. Did Brian mig weld it? I would like to see how the traditional wood handled flatter is made by Brian, he has some really nice looking flatters in his rack.

My name is Alec and I am thirteen years old, I have been forging for about one year and three quarters and I just got back from one heck of a trip!

Well I got back from my trip yesterday... And I was straight in the forge again, no less than one hour after I got home! (I made racks and rings)

Unfortunately... words cannot describe my visit to Brandon Mississippi, but I will give it a try! It was stupendously amazing!

I arrived on Friday the 8th April at around 8 pm. Karen showed us to their house from the airport and we ate "Popeyes" chicken (I had never tried chicken in this way! And it was delicious!). The next day, we went to the AG museum where the Mississippi Forge Council meeting was hosted. We saw Jim Pigott demonstrating. Thank you to everyone at the Mississippi Forge Council for their hospitality and encouragement. In the afternoon, we made 2 tools and then we went to a "Wynn" family party. All the family are the most hospitable and generous people I have ever met. They invited me (a foreigner) to their party with open arms!
The next days were spent forging full on... Throughout my class we would work 12 - 15 hours each day and, on one occasion, we started to forge at around 9 am and finished at 2 am!!!

On Friday, we packed up for Artmania and hit the road! Brian and Lyle packed their whole shop up into Lyle's truck! Yes, their whole shop!
The drive down was full of adventure! Luckily, the tornado was just in front of us. For about 40 miles, we "followed it" and saw the devastation it left ten minutes after it passed. My prayers go out to those who were affected by this. We set up in Washington, Louisiana, for Artmania that evening. And I fitted a handle in the dark, but Lyle's awseome wife Patricia held a flashlight for me! Thank you, Patricia! Patricia is a whole lot of fun and she definitely shares the Wynn's hospitality and generousness! Thank you Patricia you are so very kind, funny and plain right nice!!!
The event started on Saturday morning, where Brian, Lyle and I demonstrated (the crowds preferred to look rather that buy!) but we all sold things nonetheless. That afternoon, Brian demonstrated and taught me the principals of the forge welded bundle and how to execute it. He did one and I later did one also. That evening, I struck for Brian because he needed to make himself another hot cut. Then he asked me what I wanted to make: a 90 degree top hot cut. We accomplished this in under 30 minutes! That amazed me! Then all three of us struck to make a three-inch bottom swage! Karen took a video of it, which I am planning to post! On Sunday, we demonstrated again and Brian, Lyle and I at one point started to make a horse head shovel. Brian and I also played about with some aluminum that Tim David kindly gave us! The aluminum was a very hard grade and was not so brilliant to forge but we had fun with it nonetheless. Bruce and Renée from Tintypes Forever photography wanted to take a picture of me with my face all dirty... So on went the coal! They took a photo of Brian, Lyle and I and then a picture of all of the blacksmiths! Then was the auction! The auction was good fun! And a lot of money was raised for the charity that we were supporting: the St. Jude Children Research Hospital. Thank you, Jerry Baker and all of LAMA, to make me feel so welcome at the Artmania event and to encourage me so much. We then packed up and headed back to Brandon, MS. The next 2 and a bit days took on a slightly slower pace because all of us were tired!

Now, we must talk about Karen Brazeal! She is an excellent cook! And she is so very very hospitable it is amazing! She let us into her home with open arms! Fed us and dealt with all of my stinky and dirty forging clothes and had these washed and dried within 6 hours!!! She is a remarkable woman! And she also deals very efficiently with all of Brian's desk work! She is so very kind, it is unbelievable!
Thank you, Karen, for making my stay even more incredible!

We must also not forget Dagney!!! The coolest/ cutest/ plain right awesomest dog in the world!

Lyle Wynn, now!: he is so very funny and loves to tell jokes! He is a great help in the shop for learning! Lyle Wynn is so very generous and kind! Case in point: on our departure, he took us to the airport and made sure we had our luggages safely checked in and made sure we had passed safely through security before even thinking about leaving! Lyle Wynn is a truly amazing person and my stay would most definitley have not been the same without him!!! Thank you, Lyle! Thank you also so much for taking some great and sometimes goofy photos and videos of me and my tools! And thank you also for taking the time and care, night after night, to upload/edit/take all the photos! Your photos really have changed my understanding of forging.

And Brian! What can I say... A truly amazing teacher and up for a good laugh too. He is an amazing blacksmith and it is incredible to see him forge in person and it is especially amazing to learn from him. His teaching is second to none. HE IS an amazing person. He has developed new techniques and has re introduced old ones. He claims that no one should believe anything that he says until they have tried it for themselves and have seen it works. Brian teaches how to make the most beautiful tools/ hammers and forms. But first and foremost, he teaches to understand how the metal moves. I believe, thanks to my learning from Brian, I could make almost any tool in his racks... or, at least, a serviceable version of them. Brian Brazeal, thank you also so very much for teaching me these things and being such a revolutionary and inspiring person and blacksmith!!! Now I must just try to walk in the huge footprints that you have made and will continue to make! If you have a chance to learn from Brian... You must leap at the opportunity and grab it with both hands and make the absolute most of it and you will not regret it at all!!! He is a truly amazing person.

I had an absolute blast and will never forget these past 12 days... Thank you all so much to those who contributed to making my stay so amazing! Thank you to my Mother and Father who allowed me to go and learn and who support my forging so much! Thank you also to the members of iForge Iron who have posted such nice comments regarding my stay at Brian's! Thank you to Jerry Baker and the LAMA group for being so very kind to me and my mother at Artmania, and to The Mississippi Forge Council: it was a privilege to spend time amongst you all!

Words can't express my gratitude to all of you and especially to Brian, Karen, Lyle and Patricia!!!!!

If you have the chance to learn from Brian... Do NOT shy away from that opportunity, for you will not regret it! He is an amazing teacher and time spent with him is time well spent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all so much !!!!!! It was incredible!!!!

alec

Oh yeah... and I can safely say, that I was one of the few people to have worn Brian out!!!!! :D

Lyle,

What a wonderful job that you and Brian and Karen and Patricia are doing in promoting blacksmithing to younger folks. The four of you are a great team and my son Daniel is totally at ease when learning from you all and we are both looking forward to making the trip to Mississippi. I have a lot of respect for those who give back to society, and you folks certainly do so!

Alec has obviously taken away a great deal knowledge, confidence, and is certainly "jazzed" up from his time in Mississippi(as if that young man needs to be any more excited about metal working). I am also glad that Alec was able to meet so many good smiths while he was state side.

Daniel did a good job demonstrating yesterday. He was at it for about three hours and ran through just about every process he knows. Several of the peices are ones that you and Brian have shown him. The only hiccup in his presentation was a failed forge weld that was just not quite there. He is getting pretty good at forge welding, so it was a bit of a blow to his ego. However the students and teachers were just as impressed with him pulling apart the hot forge weld (full body and a leg up on the vice; it was pretty funny) as they were watching him make it to begin with.

I am hopeful that Daniel and Alec will stay in touch as they both seem to have quite a bit in common (forging anything they can get there hands on).

Thanx again,

Chris

thank you very much for the kind words! I just got back in from the forge... i havn't done much today because i work up at 2 pm due to jet lag! But i just prepared a billet for making a hammer eye punch (cut of 3 inches from jackhammer bit). I doubt that i will actually make it today because i have no striker... I need to train someone up!

thank you all again for the kind words

alec

Alec,
Thank you for sharing with us! I am so excited for you, as i'm sure Brian told you, you can take blacksmithing so much farther than many of the great smiths out there today. You have the chance to do with it what many of us wish we could.
Your previous post about your time with Brian, Karen, and Lyle was very eloquent and highly respectful. Keep up the good work, i know we are all excited to see what amazing work you churn out in the future.
Brian

Thanks for the follow up report Alec, I have been following this thread closely and I am amazed at what you did during you stay with Brian. I will be looking forward to your posts in the future, I have also learned so much from Brian I just wish I could have started at a younger age.

Alec, Thank you and your mom and dad for coming out here and sharing some time with us! You are an amazing young man with an ability to reason out and execute this old art of blacksmithing. That is so rewarding to me to see such genius. That's right, genius! I saw it the first day and every day after. You'll be passing all of us up before you know it as long as you continue studying the way you do.

I love you, man. Brian