I Forge Iron

Managing in the heat

An issue I have had to deal with is believing that once I have drank water and have a fan going, I can then produce as if it was a balmy spring day. Nope. Especially not this year. I really feel the age factor now. And a bit of a guilt trip since I shouldn't be this out of shape and I need to get things done and and and...

I had Heat exhaustion at Ft Polk. It was after duty hours, I sponged a beer which got me silly drunk, then passed out. I came around with a couple of friends pouring electrolytes into me as my legs tried to wrap themselves around my neck like a contortionist. after several hours I was finally able to actually sleep. Next day would have been nice to have been on light duty but the best I could manage was to drink water every 15 minutes and report to Top that I was doing so. Walking the firing ranges at Polk is job and I was the BRM bandit so I really couldn't let on to the Pvts.

At Ft Sill we had an aggressive beat the heat routine. 1 qt every thirty minutes, chug it down and lift it over your head without stop. In You or On You, Wet heads will be doing pushups once out of Hi heat category. On a particularly tough day I had 2 pvts go to the hospital at the end of the day and 3 more before lights out. I was pushing the water hard and these guys were some of my more motivated soldiers. I had a lot of explaining to do and no answers. I was at the hospital first thing in the morning and discussed the problem with a doctor. He told me (behind his hand) to push the salt a bit more, they had flushed the electrolytes out with all the water they had drank.

Yeah, drink water, a little yogurt and chips, gatorade, fans, AVOID ALCOHOL, don't push so hard, someone else around if possible.

Heat stress indicators

How do you keep from getting heat exhaustion (or at least feeling unwell) when you're working over a fire all summer, and what do you do to recover from heat exhaustion when it does catch up with you?

I hammer most the day in north Alabama then run and work out.
Use fans in the shop. Drink water constantly ( acouple of ounces atleast every 15 min ) but do not bloat. Your urine should be clear. A lot of the drinks like gatoraide are recovery drinks. Drink them in the evening.
Cool water not cold . Cool water absorbs quicker than warm.
Hydration is a 24 hr. task.
If you do start to feel weak retreat to a cooler place and seek help if needed. Its better to loose a days work than a week with an IV stuck in your arm.

And there are days with heat factors over a 100 maybe we need to take off or work nights.
Like momma said " It makes sense."

As a former EMT-IV in Tennessee I have seem more then my share of heat problems. As I was also working on a truck line loading dock I was always called on when someone fell out. But if you are looking for salt tablets now of days thay will be hard to find if you even can. Now Doctors have you drink sports drinks Power Aid, Gator Aid, etc. as thay put electro lites in and are not as hard on your system as salt tablets.

But then again as eveyone has said drink, drink, and drink, as much water as you can before you start and keep doing it as you work. Sports drinks are good but should not replace water. I would say drink one sport drink then at least 4 times as much water before you have a heat problem. If you do fall out drink at least 2 or 3 sports drinks then sipp on water for the rest of the day and keep cool.

Also you may find if you have heat exhaustion once you may fall victim much easier the next time. So be careful I myself work early in the morning till 10 or 11 and start back after 6 or 7 in the afternoon with at least 4 fans going in a 10 x 12 metal shop with highs from 96 to 99. I have problem with heat so this is what helps me and might help you just work with care eat well and drink brother drink.
BillP

I put an old used evaporative cooler in my work space. it's on wheels and I can move it inside or outside
I can turn it so it doesn't blow on my anvil or forge.
it works so well that when it wears out I will buy a new one
I also drink gatorade and lots of water
SAM

I like to wrap up icecubes in a bandana and tie that around my neck to help keep my brain chilled. Also I can soak my real wool felt smithing hat thoroughly and let it evaporatively chill my head.

Soaking your clothes can work well out here in the land of low humidity too.

When I drink Gatorade I like to cut it with club soda---the carbonation helps cut the crud in the throat and you don't want it full strength anyway.

Work in the morning and then take a siesta during the heat of the day! If I have to work during the hot time I like to do an hour in the shop and then an hour in the cool house, alternating.

If things "go south" wetting a person down with a hose of cool water and getting a fan on them can help drop a too high temp pretty fast. Water fights can be a pretty good idea in the summer *outside* of the shop!

Yeah, I don't know if I can take much more of this. Must have been in the 60's (F) today. Time to fire up the air conditioning!

Funny though, last year I was suffering when it got UP to 90, but later it felt great when it got DOWN to 90!

I do run air conditioning when it's really hot. I got a small shop, cheap electricity, induction forge and I get way more done.

First time sick was 12 years ago. I was rolling hay (no cab)and got too hot. Got off the tractor and threw up. Spent a couple hours cooling down with water to drink.
Second time I was in Illinois (cattle meeting) outdoors sunny, hot, no shade. I sat down with a plate lunch and began to feel bad. I told my wife and had to put my head down on the table (Humbling experience). Sipped some water and cooled down. Later I realized I was wearing the thick Wrangler Jeans. I now wear the thin ones in the summer and the thick in the winter only. Much better for me.
Third time 6 years ago I was in Honduras putting a roof on a Church. Up on the roof i got hot and sick. One of the students with me asked what was wrong. I felt so bad that i couldn't climb down the ladder. He ran across the road and got me a hot bottle of brown water. Got some water in me and made it to some shade.
Two summers ago I started to use some Power Aid along with water when I bale hay, Outdoor construction, forging etc.
I am impressed with the Power Aid, It helps me get the job done and feel good doing it. Thinner pants for me too!

I baled 225 squares today then picked up and stacked 140 in the barn (no help). My drink of choice was Gatorade cut with lemonade and ice cubes. I have an insulated mug that holds 30 ounces and went through three of those plus a glass of tea at lunch. At this point in the evening, I'm a bit worn out from the work but recovered from the heat, which was in the mid-90's and about 70% humidity. I told my wife at supper that I was getting old because I was tired and she replied that I used to complain about being tired 20 years ago - go figure... :P

I do keep an eye on the weather forecast and TRY to schedule forging for the cooler days in the week and other work for the hottest days. I tend to use the coal forge more in the summer because it doesn't heat the shop up as much as the gas forge. I find I get a lot more work done when I am not overheated so I run the air conditioner often turning it on first thing in the morning rather than closing the doors and turning it on once it gets hot. I figure the increased productivity more than pays for the extra power, and I feel better at the end of the day. The entire east wall of my shop is windows which are great for the light and not feeling like I am working in a cave but they can heat the shop up. Somehow I have ended up with bamboo??growing outside the windows which is great because it provides shade throught the summer. In the fall I go out and cut all the saplings and bamboo down so the saplings don't become trees but they are nice through the summer.

• 1 month later...

We just had a hunting trial dog come into the vet clinic and it didn't leave. It's brain wound up starved for oxygen from lack of blood supply. Moral of the story, HEAT STROKE IS SERIOUS!!!!! Because reptition is the best way to get people to remember things, PRE-HYDRATE and maintaining is better than playing catch up. When dehydrated, the blood vessels to the intestines loose blood flow so you don't absorb the water as well. Sip rather than gulp. Gatorade is good but the sugar in it induces urine producion which means you're loosing lots of water. Same with caffine or alcohol. Avoid these!!! Gatorade is still good in moderation for electrolytes. Pickles, potato chips, even straight salt licked off your hand work well for what we need to replace for electrolytes.

Shade and a breeze works wonders.

Rubbing alcohol on the skin of the wrists and neck can help cool you're blood off, particularily in humid environments where sweat isn't evaporating. Cool water baths/ showers (Not cold, because that can cause constriction of the blood vessels and slow cooling) will work.

Avoid working during the heat of the day!!! Wake up early and siesta during the heat of the day and work later in the evening.

Light clothes, particularily white to reflect heat. Light cotton or linen because it breaths better than most synthetics.

There is a LOT of difference in the type shirts you wear. A shirt made from a 50/50 blend of cotton/polyester and I break a swear walking from the house to the shop. Save the 50/50 for the winter when you want the warmth. In the summer a 100% cotton shirt is the way to go, for me anyway. I prefer a shirt that is at least one size small during hot weather. It grabs every drop of sweat and wicks it into the shirt for evaporation. A fan moving the air is a great help. There is also a big difference between a light weight and a heavy weight shirt. It is only an ounce or so, 5 oz to 6 oz but when you think that sweat shirts start at 7 and 8 ounces you can see the difference. The color of the shirt is also a factor if you work outside in the sun. A black or dark shirt will absorb light (and heat) where a white shirt will reflect the light and heat.

• 5 weeks later...

One old farmers trick was to go into the spring house and hold the wrists in the running water.

I have found that to work miracles when working in hot weather! A source of cold running water is required, just hold both wrists under some running cold water every half hour or hour, just for a few minutes. I prefer drinking water that is almost warm, it absorbs more slowly and doesn't shock the system like very cold water does.

I am hypoglycemic so those "sports" drink loaded with corn syrup and sugar are bad news.

For recovery and preloading of salts and such at night I use 1/2 teaspoon of salt and baking soda mixed very well into a quart water, it mixes better with slightly warm water.

Preloading with water the night before, as well as some of the "rehydration" drink and keeping the core temp down by cooling the wrists has kept me from ever getting heat stroke.

Caleb Ramsby

I noticed no one has mentioned their beards! Maybe its just my imagination but for me on a hot day when I got the sweat pouring off me, my wet beard acts like a radiator for my face. I notice this a lot more the first few days after I shave/trim the sweat start dripping into my work and not going to use in my beard!

I run track for my college and at one of the meetings they said that a sports drink will not help you unless your event is a mile or longer. I smithed all summer long and had no problem with heat exhaustion, but then again I am a bit younger and in a little bit better shape than others. To stay hydrated I kept a canteen (half a gallon) of water near the forge. Every time I would take a break to heat the metal i would take a sip or gulp of water. That along with just staying hydrated before and after helped me. On long days i would suck down a Gatorade after working.

But just sipping on that canteen while heating the metal really helped. It was a good way to stay hydrated because I was drinking often but still drinking at a rate that my body could take it.