I Forge Iron

Good things come to those who wait

Like many of us here I so wanted a decent anvil for many years. Well today I am a VERY, VERY happy man, I replied to an add for a large anvil that a stonemason was selling an hour and half from where I live. He was asking $500 for it, which was my absolute limit. We drove up to Sydney today to have a look, it was certainly a large anvil and after checking it out I decided to part with my money, and the fellow kindly loaded it into our 4x4 with a forklift. It had many markings on it but it wasn't till I got home and hit it with the wire wheel that I realized what I had was a 453 pound (4- 0 -5) solid wrought Peter Wright. I will take photos tomorrow and post them.

Ian Ross

Thanks for the comments fellas, I certainly consider myself lucky. The guy was offered $1000 by a friend who was going to use it as a piece of garden art but he said I was already on my way to see it, he also told me that he wanted it to go to someone who was going to use it. I'm just doing chores at the moment and babysitting new puppy ( Yes, buying the anvil came with a proviso ) :rolleyes: ,just came in for lunch, I'll post photos as soon as I'm done.

Cheers

Ian

Here are the pics, hard to see from the photo but from various angles there's just enough letters to make out Peter Wright Patent England. Also included pic of "The Proviso" for those of you who get a bit gooey over puppies. The anvil measures 980mm long 400mm high and 140mm across the face

Cheers Ian

post-5570-1266122790167_thumb.jpg

post-5570-12661228223146_thumb.jpg

post-5570-12661228453078_thumb.jpg

post-5570-12661228722666_thumb.jpg

Here are the pics, hard to see from the photo but from various angles there's just enough letters to make out Peter Wright Patent England. Also included pic of "The Proviso" for those of you who get a bit gooey over puppies. The anvil measures 980mm long 400mm high and 140mm across the face

Cheers Ian

WOW! That anvil is beautiful...the corners are excellent, and I for one would be giddy with excitement over that one!

good on you!

From another Iain

Cheers Ian

WOW! That anvil is beautiful...the corners are excellent, and I for one would be giddy with excitement over that one!

good on you!

From another Iain

When I bought my 306# Sodefors at a machine shop auction, it came home in my Dad's 1981 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. The guy running the forklift said loading an anvil in a Caddy was a first for him. :D To Dad a car was just transportation. His 55 Coupe DeVille had caribou in the trunk when it was fairly new.

thomas you found a power hammer for $100 come on details, that is in my price range :)

And that is a awesome anvil!!

*I* would have jumped on that one and I'm nortoriously cheap---I didn't even buy the powerhammer I found on the way back from the SWABA-AABA conference yesterday and it was only US$100...

"caribou in the trunk" sounds like a band name

Thanks for the comments guys,that's two shop dogs now, hope this one doesn't sit under the forge like the other one. The anvil has a good ring, which is either a good thing or a bad thing as we have new neighbours moving in soon, might have to do some sound deadening.

Thomas, that's a fine price for a power hammer, especially if it was in working order or even repairable.

BIGGUNDOCTOR, a friend and I used to go spotlighting for rabbits through the sun roof of his Honda Prelude.

Cheers Ian