I Forge Iron

Angle grinder

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you're not buying a HF, I guess you made up your mind. I have a mix with one Dewalt and a Makita in the stable, they all get the job done. As far as the HF grinders, I have 3 of those, two years old or older, and they are still going. I like having multiple grinders with different wheels on each. Also I have a 7" HF for when I really need to "hog some stock off".

Edited by unkle spike

Look at the brand the production shops purchase, the ones that get used 8 hours a day. I went with Milwaukee brand on the chop saw, jig saw, and drill, and each has preformed well for me. I do not have a Milwaukee angle grinder but that is next on the list to purchase.

i live in the "home of the outlets" there is a black and decker tool outlet locally so i went over and got 2 $25 4" angles that have worked just fine for 3 yrs...i need more of them also... I like the different wheels already to go...I once bought 3 angle grinders off ebay for like 15 bucks...plugged one in and it started to smoke ...packed em up and sent them back....thought i gotta deal....now the mennonites steel shop down the street has metabo's on sale but i can get 3 black and deckers for the cost of one...as far as a cut off ...I would love one but cant seem to justify spending more than 50 bucks to cut metal...HF has one for that price...now i cant seem to trust a 50 cut off!!!! I refuse to go to an analist...

I have two Milwaukee grinders and a Makita and have had Bosch in the past. The bosch burned up in a couple months replaced the brushes didn't help. The Makita is ok but the Milwaukee is much more robust I have one with a variable speed wich is real nice for polishing.
Don't cheap out on tools that get alot of abuse you'll spend more time and money replacing brushes and the tool itself.
Thanks Marc

i was an iron worker for 10 years and a foreman for 6. we always bought milwaukee for
general steel work and high iron. we always used metabo for railing and other fine work.
the metabo gives you some adventage in tight places. both metabo and milwaukee (for us) out lasted all other brands. but are a little pricy. home depot usually has a sell on dewalt where you can get 2 for the price of 1. which is nice you have a back up or you can keep a flapper wheel on one and a grinding disk or cut off disk on the other.

Unkle spike I haven't made my mind up, I have had 3 HF grinders one lasted a year and the other two lasted a couple months. No I don't abuse my tools but I do use them. For the money I'm spending on HF's grinders I can buy quality tools that last and have a better warranty.

That's where you have to make the choice. I forgot to add that I am only a part time hobby smith/metal worker, so base my opinion on that. Probably the best advice is "get the best you can afford".

My Dad uses Milwaukee full time like Glenn said. I know he occasionally has them "rebuilt" for around $25, and they are as good as new.

I bought an old large Milwaukee used and in 10 years have only replaced the brushes 1 time. It is heavy and the start up torque will let your wrists know you have a TOOL for WORKING.

I have a friend that has a 9" Makita he calls "the Destroyer"---he once offered to bet me he could cut my truck in two lengthwise (including the engine block) with it. I turned that bet down...

i have a coule of cheaies given to me about 6 years ago...not a fulll time tool but they have been ok,like a second hand car,,if it lasts ast the 1st. wheel it payed for itself. dad buys ind/commertial stuff because they have bearings not bushings but for a every now and then sho these work for me. and if they loose the magic smoke trash em and get another,jimmy

X2 on the Metabo.

When I was fabricating full time, we came to love the Metabos best over any other brand.

I hate my Dewalt. They seem to blow the cooling air (along with some grindings) right into your face. Drives me nuts. I end up covering the cooling outlet with my hand; the grinder heats up pretty quickly.

Well I can tell the best small grinders made (IMHO). Are the Flex 5" 13amp long handles. They have as big of motor as all 7" and some 9" grinders. They are light weight variable speed and have soft start. I own two and and love them. My next fav is the Milwaukee 5" 12 amp grinders. Out of the 20 or so I own those get the hardest use. Neither of those are cheap. The Flex is around $200 and the Milwaukee $140 but compared to the home owner low amp tools they are really tough and powerful. I spend 10 hours a week with a grinder in my hand so it is important I get the most from them. Best advice I can give is find one that fits your hand well. The switch is easy to use. At least a 4.5 in and at least a 7.5 amp motor

I bought a brand new Milwaukee 6116-30 12 amp today for $50 on Craigslist. It is a little heavier and more powerful than my HF grinders. I have a Hitachi that I like but the guys at the railing/fabricating shop next door to my shop swear by the Hilti's over Milwaukee or DeWalt.

Imagedude,
It's good to see that the guards in place on almost all your grinders. Why not on the one to the far right?

It has been mentioned before that fragmenting disks can come off with enough energy to do serious harm. I was thankful for the guard on my grinder a few weeks ago for that reason, no harm other than the disk which went away, and I haven't even found half of.

I use a Ryobi with a paddle trigger. It's not very expensive, and the handle with the trigger rotates to accommodate the work angle. This was my upgrade from a HF grinder. Even though it is 5.5 amp I have yet to bog it down. I use sanding disks with a plastic backer more than cutoff, grinding, or flap wheels with it though.

Ryobi Power Tools :: 4 1/2" Angle Grinder with Rotating Rear Handle

Phil

Anyone use a cordless grinder? I've heard good things about the new Ryobi line of cordless tools. They are inexpensive but seem to perform well. Also you buy a drill or similar tool with a set of batteries then interchange them with all of the other tools. I had gotten a really good deal on a Milwaukee 18V cordless Sawzall but it only came with one battery and the batteries are around $70. It's a great tool, but only when it has power ;)

Phil, if you look at the wheel on ImageDudes grinders without the guard, they are wirewheels, not grinders. I also very often have to remove the guards with wirewheels because they get in the way. But boy howdy do I pay attention to what I'm doing... and almost always wear heavy gloves. The wire wheel can take all the meat off a finger faster than you can see it get to it.

Long ago, I asked the same question... which grinder for performance... but I also asked to consider noise and vibration and feel in the hands. Long hours with a grinder in the hand will lead to damage, and even with ear protection, the tool noise adds to the noise of the grinding. So far, I've been happiest with the Bosche for the price, and have found the DeWalt among the quietest. I have to get one or two more soon, and may look at Monstermetal's recommendations, though.

I tend to use the grinders a little more for wire wheel and flap disk than grinding wheel, though, so my recommendations are skewed that way.

I saw where Tractor Supply has some Kawasaki angle grinders (5.8 Amp) on sale for $29.99.

Anybody ever used any Kawasaki tools? I had one of their '73 model trail bikes, still got it, as a matter of fact, but I'm not sure about their power tools.

Don

Phil, if you look at the wheel on ImageDudes grinders without the guard, they are wirewheels, not grinders. I also very often have to remove the guards with wirewheels because they get in the way. But boy howdy do I pay attention to what I'm doing... and almost always wear heavy gloves. The wire wheel can take all the meat off a finger faster than you can see it get to it.
I tend to use the grinders a little more for wire wheel and flap disk than grinding wheel, though, so my recommendations are skewed that way.

have you tried the newer wire wheels with the plastic skirt around the outside ?