I Forge Iron

Angle grinder

Black Creek what size of grinder are you looking ? for 9" / 7" / 5" or 4-1/2"
I also have a 9" Lg & heavy Milwaukee grinder, It will work you under the table if you let it !
also it will grind anything all day long and then some !!
I use it daily ALOT ! though its to heavy for most folks, most of my tools are Milwaukee and I use them WAY harder then there made for never had a problem, -- Other than the 4-1/2" witch I use like 9" grinder had 3 they cant take it lol the only thing I see bad with Milwaukee tools is there elec switch's most of mine I had to put in new switchs
the 9" is on its third one :)
Now for a small grinder I tried last time around now 3 years ago a 5" Mikita looks like a sm 7" grinder
the boat shop use them alot and cant brake them and I havent yet either AND I do try daily !! just put the second set of brushes in it last week still running strong -- ALso blow grinders out with air often helps alot :<)
Ho did I say I own a welding shop and if someone has spent his life with a grinder in hand I am sure one of them ! LOL
PS if you want Eqt No# for 5" tell me and I will post it when I get in shop and look cost $130.00
I here the the Metabo is spose to be very good though I have not tried it YET

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Would that be one of those metal bodied "Wildcat" grinders?
Those things were some tough to kill,really made you work for it.
B&D used to be a real contender in the industrial world now they`re pretty much a joke.
I have one of their industrial drills that I must have put 10 sets of brushes in over the years as I wore them out.If they still made tools like that drill and those Wildcat grinders I`d still be gladly buying their products.

I recently bought a soft start 5" Makita, right from the start it didn't seem to have the guts my old Makita had. I don't know if it is because of the soft start or jst a bad grinder, it seemed to get worse over time, it worked ok for dressing things up but not for cutting with a zip wheel or really removing metal. I returned it and am waiting for its return. I would be cautious buying the same grinder again.

John,
A guy doing the work you do must have a decent compressor plumbed in.Can`t help but wonder why you`re not using more pneumatic tools.They are smaller,lighter,more power to weight,far more durable and last a lot longer as they don`t fry when you stall them.Cheaper to rebuild,harder to wear out,I could go on but...
The only real drawback for some seems to be the price.When you factor in that you`ll go thru 6 or more electric grinders before you wear out your air grinder(as long as you keep it oiled) then in the long run they are still a BIG bargain.

I do use a lot of air die grinders. I should think about an air grinder although I usually don't do that much angle grinder work, I have a 24" disc sander that I use for grinding forging. and I recently built a belt sander for sanding/polishing.

Currently I have a 4-1/2" Dewalt. The last one was a cheapie and I got a year out of it. I usually find a top brand names cost 2 or 3 times more, but lasts 5 or 6 times longer. I like the higher amps, like 10, better than the cheap grinders. Biggest complaint I have is the size of the bodies. By time I've wrapped my hand around one of those things for a couple of hours my hand hurts for the next 2 days. Why don't they make a handle that attaches over the cord and into the body so they're easier to grab?! It would be safer, too!

Currently I have a 4-1/2" Dewalt. The last one was a cheapie and I got a year out of it. I usually find a top brand names cost 2 or 3 times more, but lasts 5 or 6 times longer. I like the higher amps, like 10, better than the cheap grinders. Biggest complaint I have is the size of the bodies. By time I've wrapped my hand around one of those things for a couple of hours my hand hurts for the next 2 days. Why don't they make a handle that attaches over the cord and into the body so they're easier to grab?! It would be safer, too!

Check out Metabo's W6-115. Very small round body, anti vibration side handle, only six amps, but at 11,000 rpm does some work. Small enough and light enough to actualy be used with one hand (with a sanding pad). I liked it so much I bought two, one for work and one for play.