I Forge Iron

Strange day so far and home from ER

Steve Sells

I am home from ER, A dropped sheet metal HVAC duct attacked me, but only got the back of my head, so no lasting harm done The end got me and cut deep enough to get to the skull, and that can be a real annoyance.

I found out the hard way that my 13 yr old son Sean cant deal with the sight of blood, he is still freaking out. He is the one I am worried about. He was helping me when it got dropped on my head and knocked me down the stairwell, The 12 or so staples in my head should be able to come out in a week or 2.

Bad way to start a Sunday.

Friend of mine said his only wound in Nam was working in a ship boiler room. Got too close to a guy with a hammer, got hit in the head on the back swing. Bloody cut, not much else, but the guy that hit him saw the blood, fainted and fell into a bunch of pipe doing himself serious injury. Glad your son didn't do something like that.

Glad you are OK - sheet metal is like a razor so be thankful it hit your skull and not neck tendons.

We have a guy at work who cut his thumb - not too badly but it bled pretty good - he held it up to show us and promptly fainted. Luckily, three of us were standing there so we were able to catch him. He about puked his guts out on the way to the ER - reckon some folks just don't like seeing their life fluid draining away, even in small amounts.

Good thing it was your head...
Your hands and legs are OK?
We know you can see and speak.

SO GET BACK TO WORK.

Just kidding , I know it's not funny. Glad it wasn't more serious.

Sure gets your attention, makes you think about every move.

I'm glad it wasn't worse Steve, sheet metal can do so much damage so easily. You just never know how someone will react in an emergency till it happens.

So far I've only hurt myself one time that was stitch worthy where I didn't have to talk my "rescuers" through it. I gave myself a 8 staple slice on the finger a week ago last Thursday. Deb is usually pretty good in an emergency but she got so worked up I ended up driving while she glared at me. Once she got good and mad at me she calmed down enough she could've driven safely but we were on the road and it's a short drive.

Take care of yourself and try to calm the boy down. It's REALLY tough to stay calm when it's someone you love laying there bleeding and nothing bleeds like a scalp wound.

A lot of the fear and panic you see around emergency scenes stems from not knowing what to do to help. Most people really want to help but just don't know what to do. A basic 1st. aid course goes a long way towards helping people to keep their heads in an emergency.

Frosty

Some folks will do *anything* to get more scrap steel---now that you got them, what do you plan to use the staples for?

I used to be a tad nervous around blood until I started donating it. After seeing that I could lose a pint and still be pretty much OK I was much more relaxed about "minor" wounds... Perhaps enrolling him in a *good* first aid class so he feels like he has more control in such a situation?

As a part time EMT I also teach a few courses for the Red Cross. I have brought my son along many times to kids/youth classes, and Scouting sessions to use as a training manikin, so he knows the procedures and has been in more training sessions than most adults. But if he cant get past the fear of blood, I cant see how he could really help, til he gets past that.

I am sure that may have bothered him also. Poor kid knowing what to do, but being unable to move and assist me made him very sad.

And Thomas, what is wrong with accepting an opportunity to get more unusual steels to use. I was already cut, and I cant reuse stitches. These staples may be can-welded into a mosaic at Stans Hammer in :D

Edited by mod07

I know how it is to have a kid that freaks out about blood my youngest is the same way. The last time I nicked myself he ran around like a chicken with it's head cut off and then passed out. I had to bind myself up then bring the kid around. I hope your head heals quickly and your son gets over feeling like he failed you. Took a long while for my son to get over it and I still not sure he is.

poor you master sells - missed you on the chat last night and heard about your attack! really glad you sound ok - and as for your son tell him there are many times a first aider can be of huge use when there is no blood about at all - blood is only one scenario - and if it makes him feel any better im a first aider and even reading these posts makes me feel faint! not everyone has the same gifts and blood just might not be his bag! get well soon master!

Thanks everyone. I am getting around ok but I am not doing anything in the Dojo for a while, I am a broken Master :) Even the white belts now have a good chance to knock me down lol.

Edited by mod07

• 4 weeks later...

Take a class on First Aid and CPR with your son. Part of why people panic at the sight of blood, and can't tolerate it, is because they have no clue what to do. He saw you were injured, and had nothing to fall back on to when it came to handling the situation. With a little training on what to do, he can at least disengage his panic a little and rely on what he was taught. He can also be helpful and may feel satisfaction that he was able to make Dad better, or at least not add to the problem.

The sight of fresh injury blood is serious business, especially when involving a family member or loved one.

Phil

• 2 months later...