I Forge Iron

Your leather apron?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bib type full length, but after watching Mark Aspery and Gerald Boggs and their short ones, from the waist to just below the knees, I am rethinking it. But with a coal fire sometimes you can actually scorch your nipples, and the bib prevents that, we had a new student in class who discovered this, gave me a chuckle once I was sure he wasn't injured badly.

My favorite one was made from a wrap around leather mini skirt. No changes necessary it just wrapped less around a much larger waist.

Pictures! We want PICTURES! :o

Mine are bibs with an over the shoulder and around the waste belt that's very adjustable and comfortable. Extends to mid shin and belts around the legs below the knees.

I don't wear it all the time though, only when I need some armor against heat, sharp flying things, etc. It's taken a large piece of a 9" grinder disk, mid chest without a scuff and I escaped without more than a start. It's thick. Probably why I don't wear it all the time.

I love the "Norse" apron though it'd have to be my fancy go to meetin apron and marryin and buryin apron.

Frosty Edited by Frosty

Bib type yellow suede that used to go well below my knees. I bought it the day after I caught my shirt on fire with an angle grinder. :o It wrapped around my calves when I walked, so I cut about 7 inches off the bottom. Much better now.

And yeah, it turns my shirt yellow when I sweat.

Heavy red suede bib from chin to knees. Wear it all the time, forging, grinding, and other mechanized tasks. Has lots of burns and scuffs from various and sundry "incidents"

I hold long pieces with my thigh for added stability, so have a few burns where the heat "crept up on me"

Divermike, Tandy Leather Factory, add .com and you are there, they sell all kinds o leather.

As an aside, during the hot summer 90s F and high 80 in humidity, I work in my apron, boots and heavy shorts. Need the apron, and boots... not sure about anything else.. got a sun burn that way,..... yeah try explaining an apron shaped sunburn.... hope you have better luck than I did.... Now I move around the tree to stay in the shade....