I Forge Iron

anvil beyond repair

I would say just about anything is repairable, but the anvil shown is likely not worth the investment.

If you must repair it, then I suggest welding a steel plate to the top, then fill in the sides with weld material. Though I don't recommend fixing it. Cheaper just to purchase a better one.

Karl Orndorf has several anvils for sale in his booths in the two Antique Malls in Hanover, PA. A wee drive for you. :) There are two anvils in his booth, last time I looked, in the Yesteryear Antique mall, and one in the Black Rose Antique mall. I purchased a 139 LB Mousehole Anvil from his Yesteryear booth last week; I could not resist it since it would be good for public historic presentations of blacksmithing. It was in pretty good condition, slight swayback and a few edge chips. :D

Welding carbon steel to cast iron and then trying to get it to hold together during heat treat?

Not suggested. Not repairable but still usable! There is one small piece of face left and the horn---you could forge out a ton of 1/4" sq stock tourist trinkets on it with no problem!

That is a 'yarn spinning' anvil. You use it to tell tales about your prowess as a smith and how you done wore it out one night making a sword or some such tale. I wouldn't invest a nickle in fixing it. All the cost that it would take in rod and plate and time should be invested in a new or better used anvil.:rolleyes:

Ah! You're saying it's genuine a McGuffin anvil! I think you just might be right.

This must be the anvil used to forge the sword that cut through a steel post and stuck in the 84kg boulder.

I'll bet the hammer is just a stick.

WOW.

Frosty

so we all know my dad is 75 so the anvil is i have no idea old! The girlfriends dad not sure what he did but i am sure he did a LOT of beating on this pooor old anvil. On the up side i now have dad sweet talking her for all the old tools and the replacement anvil in the shop! some further pics to come

I'd guess shoeing as ridge backed as it is. I think I have a vulcan in worse shape. No face, ridge backed and with a broken off horn---I took it to Quad-State one year to show off how bad the casting had been. Where the horn met the body there was a series of bubbles in the cast you could fit pencils in!

Why I don't like Vulcans and do love Fishers!

A blacksmith's epitaph composed by himself.

My sledge and hammer lie reclined,
My bellows too have lost their wind,
My fire's extinct, my forge decayed.
And in the dust my vice is laid.
My iron spent, my coal is gone.
My nails are drove