I Forge Iron

The mother of all gorilla welds.

Somewhere in my memory banks is a quote from a Schwartzenneger movie.

"E-Rasah"

This weld is in need of the eraser ( gouge ) or even the torch or plasma to kinda sneak up on it from the side and put it out of its misery. Then a 9" Norton rock to get back to the start.

"Yippie-I yeay......cow pattie " ( Jim Stafford song in a movie ). Todd, nice to see you posting here. Been a long time.

I see that stuff almost daily come into my shop. Someone's neighbor got a welder for his birthday and now he is a welder. Granted we all start someplace but i don't remember ever doing work like that. Here are 3 pics i had handy..
Pic 1 My driveshaft wobbles...
Pic 2 My mower needs welded and my neighbor just fixed it....
Pic 3 Can you fix my wood splitter. My uncle tried to weld it and now it needs done right...Bob

13730.attach

13731.attach

13732.attach

My Dad is a welder and one of the things he hates to hear:

"My (cousin, Brother in law, neighbor) tried to weld it 3 times and it just wouldn't hold."

Hmm welding 304 SS with ERS70S-6 mild steel wire, or worse yet Flux Core, wonder while it didn't hold? Or used a 110v welder on 1/2" thick plate....

"Yippie-I yeay......cow pattie " ( Jim Stafford song in a movie ). Todd, nice to see you posting here. Been a long time.

I'll probably be on a bit more now. I've got the shop up and running, and I'm actually working on product, and not getting the tools made/repaired enough to work with them.

And the weather is better. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That looks like some of the farmmer patches I had to cure when I worked in the welding shop. When they got the bill they all howled and said it only took me 10 minutes to fix it myself. They never did whine when they didn't have to bring it back because it broke though.

My late Dad called welds like that Norwegian dirt farmer welds. Nothing against Norwegians or dirt farmers.But they had the idea if you glob on enough rod it will hold. Then take it to Rex and get it done right.
Finnr

I have to say this I had some welds like that when I was learning to weld with an old buzz box years ago. Would not be proud of it to day but when I got the metal to stick I was a proud puppy. That might be what this picture represent a beginners weld, be proud that he is learning...

• 1 month later...