I Forge Iron

Hammer control

Damascus Mike

Practice! Practice! Practice!

Look at how your work shows the impact of your hammer---is it flat or is an edge leading or trailing?

Remember that the face of the hammer and the height of the anvil make a difference too!

I have one hammer dressed to leave a very smooth surface and another that's domed a bit to be able to reach in and pull out a place that's hanging back.

Hi there its DM id just like to learn a bit more about hammer control and i anyone has links,files or anything that i may read over to inhance my pounding and shaping with the hammer thanx DM

DM, Think of your hammer and anvil as top and bottom dies, just like a power hammer has top and bottom dies. There are three main bottom dies: Flat, Fullers, and Butcher. Your hammer and top tools are your top dies. With hand work, You have unlimited combinations availiable to you. Forging is a simple matter of choosing the appropriate dies and holding your material under them to get the desired effect. The most common dies to choose to distribute material are drawing dies and half hammer faced blows, and since they are some of your smallest dies to choose from, they will be the easiest to teach you hammer control.[You either hit them or you don't, and your material will let you know] Learn to hit those spots and hold your material under them. I don't have any picture to show you, but I do have a simple drawing.

13304.attach

Practice! Practice! Practice!

True true. I'm glad I grew up as a carpenters son on a farm. I've been told by some smiths that they were told to practice on nails if you want to practice hammer control. Another trick is to use a piece of 1/4 wood as your metal to determine better how you are hitting the metal as it divots more spectacularily on the corner you lead with.

Some of the best hammer control tutorials can be found in the early 1000 series of blueprints

BP1001 Hofi Hammer Technique
BP1002 Hofi Hammer Technique
BP1003 Hofi Hammer Eye

BP1012 Making Hammer Handles

IF you understand each step in the process of making the hammer, you can better understand the ability to control the hammer.

Mike maybe you should slow down a bit Yoiu seem to want to be able to do everything now. Without takeing the steps that would get you there sooner if you followed them. Just about everything you need to learn is in the Getting started and the series of early blueprints. Section of this site. Doing too much too soon is a fast way to failure and frustration. Do your self a favor and slow down and get the basics down. When you develop the coordination and muscle memory you can forge almost anything new you try. This takes time to learn and as eager as you are I am sure you will likely get it faster than I did. I spent countless hours repeating small parts of pieces I wanted to forge until I knew each move and the proper sequences. All that time was well spent. It will be for you if you will do your part in learning. And have fun.

I think he was looking for "Getting Started" as a link on the home page rather than in another area.

I just now looked and don't see "Getting Started" there either. Do we still have a "Getting Started?"

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

well u see i would do all those steps but my tutor is way to lazy to teach me properly and i cant do anything about it bcoz its a free course.

I know a fellow that needed help operating a computer, found the internet, and read literally everything he could find that was related to blacksmithing. He would read of a night, work the following day and rush home, go to the fire, and put into practice what he had read. Then it was back to the internet to read some more before bed and work the next day. Today he is an accomplished blacksmith that helps others get started. I still see him on the internet, reading, learning, and now answering questions, passing his knowledge on to others.

He had no tutor, but taught himself with the aid of the internet. You have IForgeIron and some very talented people willing to help. As others have said, slow down. Find a fuel that is available in your area, and research how to build a forge that uses that fuel. Use the internet and find an anvil or what can be used as an anvil, what hammer to use, and how to properly use that hammer so you do not cause injury to your body. Start with simple basic projects and research how to do each step of that project correctly. Make 25, 50, 100 of them. Dream about them in your sleep. Choose the first one and the best one and nail them to the wall as a reminder of where you started and how far you have come in the learning process.

Then move on to another project and research how to do each step of that project correctly. Make 25, 50, 100 of them etc etc. Take photos and post them on the site, show us what you are doing and ask for assistance if you do not understand a process.

With the internet you can expand you knowledge as wide or as deep as YOU want. But reading is only the beginning, you MUST put what you have read into practice. You may know all there is to know about swimming, the different strokes, techniques, etc, but the very first time you get thrown into the water, it does you no good if you drown. You have to practice what you have read in order to stay afloat.

Invest in YOUR education. It is not a quick process, it is a process that SHOULD take your entire lifetime to complete. How wide and how deep your knowledge grows is up to you.

i understand and im just finishing up the small bits and pieces of my forge and ive got a piece of RR line which for some reason is about 4 to 5 inches thick on the top and its my anvil and i just need some scrap metal to practise on and ill be set for a long time

Edited by Damascus Mike

that was an awesome response... right on bros !!!!!

I know a fellow that needed help operating a computer, found the internet, and read literally everything he could find that was related to blacksmithing. He would read of a night, work the following day and rush home, go to the fire, and put into practice what he had read. Then it was back to the internet to read some more before bed and work the next day. Today he is an accomplished blacksmith that helps others get started. I still see him on the internet, reading, learning, and now answering questions, passing his knowledge on to others.

He had no tutor, but taught himself with the aid of the internet. You have IForgeIron and some very talented people willing to help. As others have said, slow down. Find a fuel that is available in your area, and research how to build a forge that uses that fuel. Use the internet and find an anvil or what can be used as an anvil, what hammer to use, and how to properly use that hammer so you do not cause injury to your body. Start with simple basic projects and research how to do each step of that project correctly. Make 25, 50, 100 of them. Dream about them in your sleep. Choose the first one and the best one and nail them to the wall as a reminder of where you started and how far you have come in the learning process.

Then move on to another project and research how to do each step of that project correctly. Make 25, 50, 100 of them etc etc. Take photos and post them on the site, show us what you are doing and ask for assistance if you do not understand a process.

With the internet you can expand you knowledge as wide or as deep as YOU want. But reading is only the beginning, you MUST put what you have read into practice. You may know all there is to know about swimming, the different strokes, techniques, etc, but the very first time you get thrown into the water, it does you no good if you drown. You have to practice what you have read in order to stay afloat.

Invest in YOUR education. It is not a quick process, it is a process that SHOULD take your entire lifetime to complete. How wide and how deep your knowledge grows is up to you.

Mike maybe you should slow down a bit Yoiu seem to want to be able to do everything now. Without takeing the steps that would get you there sooner if you followed them. Just about everything you need to learn is in the Getting started and the series of early blueprints. Section of this site. Doing too much too soon is a fast way to failure and frustration. Do your self a favor and slow down and get the basics down. When you develop the coordination and muscle memory you can forge almost anything new you try. This takes time to learn and as eager as you are I am sure you will likely get it faster than I did. I spent countless hours repeating small parts of pieces I wanted to forge until I knew each move and the proper sequences. All that time was well spent. It will be for you if you will do your part in learning. And have fun.

Rich, well said!
Ifeel it would be worth reading what you said again.
Glenn and some of the other smiths have said things that are a good reminder for all of us also.
I wish I had the privilage of having all of the help and wisdom that is given so freely here at I Forge Iron when I was starting.
So I value what ever I find here now, because it still helps me.
Thank you all. Edited by Ted T