I Forge Iron

Forging after dark.

A photographer from the San Antonio newspaper came out to the shop a couple of weeks ago and took a series of pictures at night with the lights out. I was not as prepared as I should have been and just did simple stuff that I wouldn't have to think about too much. The photographer liked the welding shots so we did several of those; I thought a couple of them were decent (#8 looks like a WP grenade going off...).

Slideshows

Edited by HWooldridge

Nice pic Hollis. Your right #8 is spectacular. Didn't know tongs were called shaping tools!!

Doug, I did notice that goof but I didn't write the accompanying text - he never asked me what the tongs were for, just took photos.

Hofi, I had the safety glasses out but he asked that I try to look "period".

Very good photos!
The safety glasses bring up a question... Is there anyone who makes "period" style safety glasses? I know that you might not get the eye coverage of current glasses, but for period photos it might be nice.
I still believe in safety first, but it seems like someone would carry something like this for reenactments and such.
I know that isn't the subject at hand, and I don't want to steal this thread. I was just wondering :)
At any rate, these are some great pics. I think I'll try some night shots for my website when I get it rolling. Thanks for the inspiration :cool:

Very good photos!
The safety glasses bring up a question... Is there anyone who makes "period" style safety glasses? I know that you might not get the eye coverage of current glasses, but for period photos it might be nice.
I still believe in safety first, but it seems like someone would carry something like this for reenactments and such.
I know that isn't the subject at hand, and I don't want to steal this thread. I was just wondering :)
At any rate, these are some great pics. I think I'll try some night shots for my website when I get it rolling. Thanks for the inspiration :cool:

I certainly wish someone would make period safety glasses since I do not need visual correction yet. My mother worked many years for an optometrist before finally retiring and after seeing the photographs, she commented that I might be able to find an old pair of "John Lennon" style glasses and put clear polycarbonate lenses in the frame. Would certainly be better than nothing - even if there are no side shields.

A great bunch of pictures, Hollis! Thanks for sharing.

About this "safety glasses not being period correct" thing.........

Maybe we should try a new strategy.......and declare ourselves the 'New Blacksmiths"

You know........the ones that demand adequate ventilation, avoid zinc fumes,.......and wear safety glasses!

Think about it........no one expects Civil War re-enactments to be done with REAL bullets, do they?

Just a thought.........James

Maybe we should try a new strategy.......and declare ourselves the 'New Blacksmiths"

Absolutely! Just because someone is blacksmithing doesn't mean they're doing any sort of period re-enactment. They should be able to wear whatever safety gear they deem necessary w/o people questioning it's historical correctness.

We get historical correctness questions whenever we do demos. Of course those same people easily ignore that we're working under electric lights, use an electric drill press, modern tape measures, mark steel with a sharpie, wear 21st C clothes, and take a drink from bottled water.

WOW!!! Beautiful Pics, The look of determination and awesome work speaks volumes.
I would think you could not help but inspire others who see this!!!
Its also nice to put a face to the posts I read.
Just thinking out loud...Maybe it would be fun to start a "MUG SHOT" section!?
Kind of bring the community a bit closer and make the world a bit smaller.

TIM

Hi. There are somewhat "period accurate" safety glasses. I visited one blacksmith shop in the East Bay which requires period attire. Safety glasses do not have to be period, but almost everybody there uses old fashioned (non ANSI Z87) round spec's with wire mesh side shields. They look great, and they are available occasionally on Ebay. Technically, however, they are not period accurate. What is accurate is that John Muir suffered a debilitating eye injury in the metalworking trade that caused him to swear it off, becoming instead a natural scientist, much to the benefit of us and our national park system.

I was in the same situation. The photographer insisted on no safety glasses during action shots, and she simply told me that I "looked better". I can see the same is true for Hollis from those shots of him working; he is sure a fine looking gentleman. The photographer did not understand why I would not give in for just one shot, and I explained that it would set the wrong example for people (kids) seeing the picture. So, I finally made a compromise that I would direct by pointing a finger, while my assistant (wearing safety glasses) did the work. He is not so sharp looking as Hollis or I, so she was OK with it.