I Forge Iron

Please don't be offended

irnsrgn

If I post something close to or somewhat similar to other peoples ideas and/or posts in the forum sections of IFI.

I am not trying to brag or grandstand, just attempting to show how I solved the same or similar problems over the many years (55+). I was a practicing Blacksmith, Welder and Half-Fast Machinist.

Jr - irnsrgn

JR., Thats what this forum is all about, posting how you do things.We all post very similar things at one time or another. It is just a matter of showing how we do things and many times it is identical, or nearly so, to the way someone else has already done it. I don't believe anyone on here would be offended. Besides sometimes it may seem identical but you may do things slightly different and that sets you apart(you put your own 'twist'(sic) on things.;)

Terry

IForgeIron was built on YOUR way (the generic pronoun you) of doing something. It was also set up so one person would not compete with another, but would feel free to explain what they did and how they solved a problem.

You do what works for you, they do what works for them, both of you post and we all benefit from the knowledge provided.

irnsrgn: I have not seen you post anything you need to apologize for some times you might see a problem from a slightly different view and even though your answer is similar it might be easier for me to understand than the first posting or you could be adding to the first posting, it is like discussing an issue. Keep us informed that what I am here for to learn from men (and/or)ladies with experience like yours. William

Jr, the way I see it is that two people may do something exactly the same but describe the process diffrently. I may understand what you mean but not the way Joe Somebody explained the exact same thing. I havent seen the sceneraio that I just described but if it happens no problem from where I sit.

There all exactly right. I grew tired of doing searches not long ago and a few weeks ago I was speaking to Glenn and he happened to mentioned the Archives listing at the bottom of the page, which I rarley get to and so I looked into it and low and behold, I found a very interesting and enjoyable way to spend a few evenings while doing reasearch for the topics that interest me. What you will find is a huge listing of every concievable topics, and a whole lot of the same topics, and each one gives a little different angle to learn from, now, you know that I'm not trying to open your eyes to this because you've been here longer and contributide much more than most, including myself; so I guess I was putting this all down for all the new guy's(and gals) who would not normal find this valuable resource until much later in there wanderings through this site. When I do go through the archives, I generally make myself look into a whole lot more stuff than I would normally, and this gets the thought juices flowing alot. Keep up the posting JR no matter what it is! Wes

I've read the same stuff over and over and just don't get it, until one day its said in just a little bit different way, and Bingo.... it penetrates this thick scull.

Keep posting, there's few with your store of knowledge.

Jr don't sweat the small stuff ...keep posting the all the neat tricks and the life time of knowledge you have I forne am indebted!
also I have a number of new tools/toys to thank you for and I'm sure their more like me keep the coming.

Edited by jimbob

• 4 weeks later...

I like to see the alternative problem solving. Different answers to the same problem, love it.

To see the thought process of some of the guys I work with, I gave them each the same project, identical instructions and materials. I got 4 finished items, all done differently , some took longer than others, but all servicable.

Its interesting to see how people think.

I dont ever get the feeling like your bragging, I like when you add your opinion to a subject, you are very clear on what you are trying to say, which is very helpful!
I havent seen you come across as rude in any of the posts I have read. If you upset someone then that person can get over it, I DONT think you have tried to hurt anyone.
Keep posting!

• 1 month later...

The beauty is there is no "competition" here......only ideas freely given and accepted or not with no ego.

If you start with the attitude, "this is the way I do it" rather than "this is the way TO do it" you will get farther.

How many of us see a picture someone has posted and notice a tool or fixture in the background?

The new guys like me here look up to the people like you Jr. and I know you have looked at a few of my things, sometimes a different set of eyes yields an answer to a stonewall we new guys have met.

I hear "that will never work" occasionally, but it does not deter me from posting, not here specifically, but I have heard it.

You keep right on posting, as others have said, we are all watching :)

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I didn't know there was a problem. I've enjoyed your posts. The Cone post was spot on. I've saved it in my math files for future use.

I do know for a fact, nothing I've posted has been original, all was taught to me by some one else.

that is so true irnsrgn you don't brag you state facts. i would have never guessed a problem. ..:) good luck and dont apologize. keep posting. i doubt i would have an anvil if it werent for your celtic cross blueprint. please keep posting. i got an anvil beacause i was making a couple of j hooks and celtic crosses for a church fundraiser (not doen on time but put to good use) and i realized how un satisfatory my anvil was. so i got looking for some other materials. and i gound an anvil when i was getting some leaf springs $150 for a 115lb fisher norris ingreat condition. Edited by new guy
grammar and snide comments