I Forge Iron

Galvanized, zinc, fumes, and milk

Woody

Milk was at one time issued to welders working with galvanized parts in shipyards here in the UK. Along with a higher rate of pay while they were on the job

These days we have tight health and safety laws and inspections. The safety of workers has improved dramatically!  But we don't build many ships now - that's all going to nations who likely give thier guys milk and other faulse info to make profits 

I am glad the apprentice of today don't need put up with the risk and injury I did though 

I have often reflected that I was fortunate to have survived my industrial "one of the hands that draw the water and hews the wood" years with all my parts in tact and with out serious chemical damage.

17 hours ago, Bowland said:

Milk was at one time issued to welders working with galvanized parts in shipyards here in the UK. Along with a higher rate of pay while they were on the job

These days we have tight health and safety laws and inspections. The safety of workers has improved dramatically!  But we don't build many ships now - that's all going to nations who likely give thier guys milk and other faulse info to make profits 

I am glad the apprentice of today don't need put up with the risk and injury I did though 

There are still employers around the world that place profit and production ahead to their employees.

• 1 month later...

My father just had his 90th birthday, I'll be 68 next month.  I learned to weld on hot dipped galvanized fence tubing .065 wall over forty years ago.  My dad worked in the gate shop and that was where I learned to weld.  I don't weld it every day but I don't avoid it either.

I've had zinc poisoning maybe four times in my life.  The symptoms for me was like having a bad case of body aches caused by the flu.  It was pretty miserable for about three hours and then I would be fine.

I take precautions, well, one, I'm always in a well ventilated area and I try to not inhale fumes.  If the material is heavy galvanized like large beams and angles I will grind the area first.

The biggest thing I have learned is all of us are different and our bodies react differently to chemicals.  I've known a lot of welders who could and would weld galvanized.  I've also seen people who got deathly ill just getting down wind from the welding operation.

The most memorable was a neighbor who wanted a bird cage, 8' X 8' X 18'.  Nothing but a thing.  I picked up some 1 5/8" 16 gauge galvanized fence tube and he helped one evening cutting it out while I was welding it up.  Three days later I went over to see what had happened to him because he had missed our scheduled after work work.  He was in bed sicker than a dog with the "flu".  If you do get a harsh reaction to the welding fumes I would recommend being checked out for asthma or COPD.  The fumes can irritate an existing issue.

I'm not recommending for anyone to weld galvanized if they feel threatened.  But I do know that there are a lot of other things out there that present a much greater threat to us welders.  Some of the plastics used in coating outside and or inside of tubing are a lot more toxic.

If you want to have your breath taken away cut into some drill stem with a plastic liner.  You will only do it once intentionally.

http://www.weldmyworld.com/blog/2011/12/side-effects-of-welding-galvanized-steel.html

• 1 year later...

My son has been welding galvanized zinc to build fences for a very large ranch.  He started getting sick so I took him to the emergency room. Took blood test and a CT scan. 

His blood pressure and vital were over the top.  He tried to tell them about fumes and what he had been doing.  The acted like he was crazy and told him he was just dehydrated.

I really upset that they would not even listen to him.   He is still sick and can not work.  My question is where do I take him for this when the hospital won't listen and help him?

Thank you for any help!!!

The safety section on this site has a lot of the information and references. Search OSHA and other sources about zinc fumes, heavy metal poisoning, etc. It is a well known problem

Print out the material and start your own reference file. Give a copy of the file along with the work your son has been doing to the NEXT doctor so he can be informed and have a place to start a proper diagonisis. 

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/159-zinc-galvanized-and-coatings/

Your research should include welding forums and sources.