I Forge Iron

Leather Apron

I had a leather apron made about 15 years ago when I was a bachelor and had some disposable income. While the leather's thick it's soft, pliable and tough as . . . as . . . Leather. I've had 9" grinding disks break and hit me in the chest without even leaving a bruise.

Spendy at $125.00 maybe but well worth it.

Frosty

I wear a welder's split leg style apron. I'd have a lot more burn holes in my clothes otherwise!

My sentiments excactly. I've been caught smokin my apron a few times. Every time I do I'm thanking the cow that took the hit so that I didn't have to.

If price concerns you go down to the local leather supplier and buy a hide. Cut a strip off. Poke a hole in the leather and feed the strip through. Tie a knot in both ends of the strip. This is quick and dirty. Eventually you will want something nicer so either spend the time or the money to add features such as pockets, grommets and buckles.

I've saved myself at least as much money as the hide cost in bandaids and burn ointment :)

leather gloves have saved my hands from grinding mishaps a couple of times, My leather pinny might save something much more sensative in the future!

I generally wear it if im doing alot of 'cut off' angle grinding (you dont need to stand to the side for the sparks then) or if im doing alot of damascus forging.

Heads up to those in the UK, I got mine from 'Aldi' for less than a tenner, with a pair of very servicable welders gauntlets.

Here's a homemade one. I bought the leather as blemished at a leather place for less than $20. A few grommets and I was in business.
Even though I'm just getting started I can already say it has saved my leg and pants some anguish.

interesting railing around your slack tub. what's its purpose?

I have leather aprons but have not used them in over 9 years. I tend to use them when doing all-day history living type stuff where I will spend the day smithing in costumes that cost too much to burn up. Otherwise I have some shirts and jeans that I save for working in the shop, as they are already messed up.

Highlander,
As much as I would like to give you some answer about it being special it a plant rack of some sort salvaged and pressed into service as a slack bucket holder.
The forge is the gentleman's that got me started and gave me a rivet forge to get me going. I ask him specificly about the bucket holder because it looked like something special i had to have. That top rail just looks useful for something. haha!
Cheers,
Ken

I rarely wear an apron, I get too hot and or it pulls on my neck and back and ruins me. I do set myself on fire about once a year. I need to make one that fits me properly and and doesn't bother my neck and my back... I would like to wear on when forgewelding and doing damascus work. I can generally put out the flames before I get burned... ;-) And I only wear gloves if I HAVE to...

Safety Glasses and hearing protection are nearly always on when i am in the shop, and work boots

The straps on mine attach at the top front, go over my shoulders, cross and then through rings at my waist, then on around to buckle in front. Takes all the weight off my shoulders and is easily adjustable for height. Sometimes I want more protection around my throat and other times lower on my legs.

It took two darned long straps but was well worth it.

Frosty

now i am retired the apron lays on the anvil where i last took it of the anvil underneth is the only suirface in the smithy that hasnt a layer of rust on it ,i have some ironwork to make for my sons boat ,so i am awating motivation ,to put the apron on again ,i always wore a hide split leg apron 3ft long,and i as someone said a fringe is usefull i always felt undresed without a apron esecialy when shoing.