I Forge Iron

Cyclone Gabriel

onetreeforge

Our district just got hit by the worst cyclone NZ has ever had, many people lost houses, huge foods, our house and my workshop are fine but we have had no power or roads out and are getting air dropped food, we are way out on the coast, I had a 1949 BSA motorcycle in the shed that had been sitting for 12 years I got it going and was able to get through the slipped roads. Because we live on a small pore island the roads will be like this for probably years.

20230214_110352.jpg

20230214_110536.jpg

20230214_114938.jpg

20230214_102425.jpg

20230214_102855.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear and see the damage.  I hope that your power is restored soon.  Are you running on a generator or just relying on candles, etc.?  I hope your life and those around you get back to normal as quickly as possible.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I am glad to live somewhere where the only natural disaters are blizzards and a very rare tornado.  Hurricanes, cyclones, frequent tornados, earthquakes, fires, tsunamies, etc. are things that would be serious negatives if I was thinking of moving elsewhere.

George

Lucky I got a generator 2 years ago, its made life so easy as we get a powercut probably every month for 24 hours sometimes, I need to keep the fridge cold and the water pump lights going.

I have lived here for almost 30 years but in the last 7 it has been very hard with storms.

Sorry to hear of this Onetreeforge.  Generators are good things.  I hope you are coping well.

On 2/17/2023 at 3:26 PM, George N. M. said:

I am glad to live somewhere where the only natural disaters are blizzards and a very rare tornado.

Until Yellowstone caldera blows....

Yes, a major eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera would be a very bad thing the probabilities are extremely low.  The media and Hollywood have made it appear that such an event is immenent but in reality it is much more likely that the next eruption won't happen for 10, 20, or 30 thousand years from now.  Even then, there is no guarantee that it will be a big, caldera forming/civilization ending eruption.  It may equally be a few cinder cones and local lava flows spread of a couple thousand years.

The probabilities are a couple orders of magnitude less than being hit with a major hurricane in Florida or an earthquake in S. California within, say, the next 25 years.  All the Wyoming geologists, myself included, aren't looking at immigrating to Australia.

;-)

GNM

It won't happen without years of warning. Magma has to rise nearly to the surface for it to collapse and it will probably be preceded by "small" eruptions in the local. Have any of those mountains risen a thousand feet or so recently George? If not I'd relax. 

A Yellowstone type eruption anywhere on Earth will take years to recover from for everybody. A goodly percentage of the N. American mega mammal fauna went extinct about the time of the last one.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, the only difference between you and Japan is that you are where the Pacific Plate goes under the Australia Plate and Japan is where the Pacific Plate goes under the Eurasia Plate.  That will make little practical difference when it comes to things like volcanos and earthquakes.  I'll still take my blizzards.  But I do REALLY want to visit NZ someday.  And if I ever got too fed up with the USA NZ would be close to the top of my list of where to immigrate, even with cyclones, volcanos, and earthquakes.

GNM

On 2/20/2023 at 7:32 PM, George N. M. said:

Yeah, the only difference between you and Japan is that you are where the Pacific Plate goes under the Australia Plate and Japan is where the Pacific Plate goes under the Eurasia Plate.  That will make little practical difference when it comes to things like volcanos and earthquakes.  I'll still take my blizzards.  But I do REALLY want to visit NZ someday.  And if I ever got too fed up with the USA NZ would be close to the top of my list of where to immigrate, even with cyclones, volcanos, and earthquakes.

GNM

You probably wouldn't like to live here, its the Detroit of the south pacific

I join in Scott's question.  Your characterization is at odds with almost everything I have seen and heard about NZ.  My general impression is that NZ is a pretty good country by most criteria, better run than many.  Not paradise but definitely better than average.  I am aware that what can look very good to an outsider can be very different for someone living there.  My late wife grew up in Hawaii and from her I got a very different perspective on life in paradise.  You may not appreciate this as much as the Yanks but when my father in law retired from teaching at the University of Hawaii he and my MIL retired from Hololulu to the Buffalo, NY area.

GNM

I was joking a bit but they do make it look good for tourists, I live in a very pore area, a friend of mine moved here from Texas and thinks its a bit of an lol,  The good things is we have a social welfare system and hospitals are free, I am getting money from being trapped by the cyclone but the council can't afford to fix the road 

• 1 month later...