I Forge Iron

It followed me home

A pair of leather couches followed me home while on their way to the recycling yard, just long enough for me to harvest most of the nice leather that was on them (some of it had been damaged by a cat).

I'll be able to use to make some leaf bellows when the mood strikes me. Or maybe some leather aprons. Or both. There quite a bit of it -- I'd say about 3-4 square meters.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I brought these home from a barn sale a week ago.  The barn had been in the same family since the 1700s and the road it was on was indeed the same name as the family name.  There was a rivet forge that I didn't need and a post vise but the seller said he was taking it back to Oregon but I don't think in his carry on baggage.  I hoped for for more neat old stuff but this was it in that category.  Not sure what the hardy tool would have been used for with those narrow V's.  I'm guessing the chisel thing is for laying out curved lines in hot steel, like veins in a leaf.  The spike round top tool is kind of a mystery too.  The dome part has some fractured off bits so it must be hard steel and the spike suggests it was driven into a stump.  Are the fractured parts the result of striking it?  These and a few larger spikes, cold chisels and 5 pick axe heads were $10

100_1028.JPG

100_1029.JPG

The top one looks kind of like a Dingle but not one you'd carry in the field to sharpen a sythe. Could've been used to sharpen, repair or make them in the farm shop. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thinking about it now, I wonder if the hardy tool was used to put preliminary edge on a chisel.  A piece of stock driven into the vee while the stock was hot would have put a dull edge on it.  Then your time on the pedal or crank driven grindstone would have been shorter.

The tools used to sharpen scythes were more flat were they not?  The ones I have seen were in any case.

I had the wrong thing in my mind's eye. Sythes were sharpened in the field on a gently crowned stake anvil driven in the ground with a peening hammer. I only did a quick search when I finally remembered I was going to look it up. <sigh>

Sooooooo, I withdraw my previous guess, I was looking in the wrong wrinkle in my brain.:unsure:

Frosty The Lucky.

That triple-V swage looks really familiar, but I'm having trouble placing it. I don't think it would have anything to do with putting a basic bevel on a chisel, as that could simply be done with a hammer at the edge of the anvil.

It's clearly a specialized tool, and the asymmetry of the V-notches is interesting. That tells me that the alignment of the swaged section to its parent stock is important. Maybe this was for shaping the rib at the back edge of a scythe blade? Giving the rib a tapered cross section would keep its rigidity and thus increase the stiffness of the blade, while reducing the overall weight. I'm just guessing here, though.

Hi Gazz, JHCC the strange hardy tool with the v grooves is specifically made for welding/installing caulks on horseshoes back in the day. I have several of them including a large one with instructions on the sides as to mounting for use near your shoing anvil. I have also seen them in old catalogs. I am not a farrier so I don't know if anyone still uses them for cauks these days. THe chisel looking tool looks to me like a caulking iron for driving oakum between planks on a ship for instance. I am not sure what the domed stake is but should work for forming metal. I am sure you can find an alternative use also for the caulking swage. Have.fun with "em!

Thanks for the identifications!  I didn't know what a caulk on a horseshoe is but looked it up.   My days of caulking wooden ships is over before I started so it will get used to create lines in hot steel - it does have a fine almost sharp edge on it.  The dome tool may get driven into a stump or maybe a piece of pipe driven over the spike part.  The picture does not show the extent of the fractured part though so maybe it will just get put in the pile of interesting tools.

Then I won this micrometer at an online auction.  I didn't need it as I have several already that see little use but the wooden box on this one suggested it was old.  Turns out it is and was sold during the 1930s for about what I paid for it, $10.25 which is penciled on the side of the box.  Looks like whoever owned this kept it in his sock drawer.

100_1030.JPG

100_1032.JPG

Two good followings today. First, mail call!

IMG_8842.thumb.jpeg.71af98fd4a27c71ba486c00787c6ef7b.jpeg

Second, free from the neighborhood freecycling group, a whole lot of ~4-5 oz. vegetable-tanned leather (yardstick for scale):

IMG_8840.thumb.jpeg.ec71f4c2e7e485b5e3612649a2b25080.jpeg

I'll count today a goo score if I can get the plow hanger unbent enough to drop the plow, pull the hanger and straighten it out. . . AGAIN! Grumble grumble snivvle. 

Maybe I'll go visit some yard, garage, etc. sales instead. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

Today was our town wide yardsale event.  I bought a pair of tongs, a diamond wheel for an angle grinder and 4 piece package of new and unused ratchet straps all for $15.  I also bought a connecting rod sort of thing that is made from brass for $1.  I have no idea what it came from or what I'm going to do with it but it's a nice hunka brass for a buck.

With permission, I removed a fair amount of pipe, angle iron, and other bits from a dumpster at a job site near my office. Yardstick for scale; the big pipe is ~6-1/2” in diameter (11” at the flange) and ~27” long. 

IMG_8879.jpeg

This gem followed me home a while back, but I only found it today. 

While cataloging my blacksmithing library, I discovered it tucked inside a copy of “Structure and Properties of Alloys: The Application of Phase Diagrams to the Interpretation and Control of Industrial Alloy Structures” by R. M. Brick and Arthur Phillips, one of the books I got from Kim Thomas during the pandemic. Nice find.

IMG_8894.thumb.jpeg.009af8cc81188fed2a39f4ab93e3fd4d.jpeg

Went to a flea market today. Found a pair of hand rails for 60 bucks. Didnt have my truck so spent a little time figuring if they would fit in daughters car. Was ready to offer 45 when the guy says 20 for the pair. that clinched the deal and they fit. Wife has been after me to make a pair for front porch. Now only have to clean them up and install.

d