• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got this post vise the other day it is 5-1/2" across the jaws. It was froze up and would not turn at all. Soaked it in diesel fuel still would not budge. Finally lost my patience and took a rosebud to it. Freed it up wire brushed the screw and box greased it up and made a new spring for it. works like new. The jaws line up straight and don't have a nick on them.

John

9193.attach

9194.attach

JWB; I'll bet that is a columbian vise. I saw a fellow who put a cap on the back of the screwbox with a zerk on it for greasing---keeps the screw cleaner too. I hope to add that to a couple of mine someday.

Ironrose I'd do the opposite, give them a larger anvil they *can't* mess up by missing and keep the little one as a travel anvil.

I have about a 125# anvil with a broken off heel but a good flat face and ok horn that I use for new students serene in the knowledge that they aren't messing up one of my *good* anvils...

Thomas that is why they are getting the smaller one, even the worse of the two bigger ones are better than this small one. Even being small it has a decent amount of work area so I think it will work for some time. Doesn't mean I won't take it with me now and again for demos or other needs, I might later on put it on my vice table?

I told my daughter I bought a mouse hole today and the puzzled look was priceless. I still haven't revealed what a mouse hole really is yet.

The anvil is still riding in the passenger floor board of my truck... Thought it would be good to spend some time with the little thing before beating on it:o???
Oh and yes I have told my wife... I think she is somewhat numb to big metal objects coming around, she shrugged it off and didn't say a word.:cool:

Thought of that, I put the anvil in and then slid the passenger seat up wedging it between the seat and the firewall... I know it won't guarantee it to stay put... but I've also seen what an anvil in the back of a pickup can do. I know a guy who put a 300# Hay budden in the bed of his truck. Someone pulled out in front of him he hit his brakes. The anvil turned and went horn first through the front of the truck bed, then through the cab wall, you could see the pucker of the horn pushing the bench seat forward just 3 inches from where he was sitting.

As it is the anvil will come out this morning and I'll try to take some snap shots to post. By the way, I'd almost be more concerned of the two hammers I have laying right next to the anvil right now :o They are probably more likely to get out from under the dash than the anvil is.

The latest is a cute little antique bench top table saw with a nice sturdy fence and miter gage. I stopped at the auction yesterday at lunch and they had it in back for me. I put in a 20.00 absentee bid about three weeks ago and won it, but they lost my phone number. This will replace the little 10.00 table saw I got there about 6 months ago (no fence or miter gage been using angle iron clamped to the table). these little saws are real handy for cutting handle slabs for my knives.
Ed

My wife made me swear not to pack things like anvils inside the cab even though it did help weight distribution a lot. I guess I need to make an anvil holding bracket for the front bumper; but then if I hit anybody there might be some problems...

When I travel with anvils they go *flat* against the front of the pickup bed, often with a 2x8 slid between their sides and the metal of the bed, helps move the weight forward and makes it harder for them to come visit in a crash. (Their stumps are usually next...)

BTW I haven't had an accident yet with smithing equipment in the truck; but want to be back forging ASAP if I ever do...

Picked this anvil? up this afternoon as well as 5 pairs of tongs. The side has RAOLA stamped in it and the junk shop I found it at said it was made by Indianapolis Harware in 1898 (he has it scralled on the side in white paint). Not sure If it broke, If it did it was a pretty clean straight break. If it was saw cut I can't see the saw marks. It has two holes drilled all the way through the body side to side that look like they are for mounting and if you look real close you can see the wear marks where it was mounted that way at one time.
The stand it is welded to woobles and the anvil is cocked and will have to be changed before it is usable. The anvil from heel edge to horn tip is 26" long and the table is 4-1/2" wide and 16" long. It has a1-1/4" Hardie hole and a 3/8" pritchle hole.
Anyone ever seen one like this before or did it break and several hands have came up with different fixes over the years?

John

9237.attach

9238.attach

9239.attach

9240.attach

Anvils were often welded at the waist and sometimes come apart there too. I have the base to such an unfortunate instance, you have the better half.

Looks quite usable even if a tad lighter than it used to be. If I owned it I might weld a spike on the bottom and use it as a travelling stump anvil.

This barrel of RR spikes followed a young man to my house tonight. He works out in the woods and found it near a rail line. The rusted side was down in the dirt and almost fell apart when he rolled it over, thinking it was empty. It weighs well over 200 lbs. The spikes were new when it ended up there and are in good shape now. They are HC too!

100_0725 - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11582

Edited by Gary
Add second pic.

thats a nice find when i was about 9or 10 they took up the train tracks at the end of my road and i hauled about 5 loads of spikes home in a big raido flyer wagon now if i could remember were on the property i left them that was about 27 years ago i'm sure there here some were though

Be careful collecting items from along rail lines. Items like that are clearly the property of the railroad, taking them is theft, and around here they are more dilligent of monitoring the corridor along RR tracks.

You may want to contact the RR they are from and seek permission to keep them, and if they give you the OK then you'll have quite a stock of RR spikes to work with!

David

I was reading about the wood box forges, and realized the firepot I just picked up might work in the making of one of these, it is a narrower firepot than I have seen, but longer side to side, here are a couple pics of it, what do you who have made one think about this idea??

Picked this up this morning it measures 15-1/2" x 15-1/2" x 4" and weighs 165# not including the stand. It has seen some use but then again so have I. I drove 4 hours each way to get it. I probably paid to much for it but you don't see them this size very often.
The fella had quite a bit of blacksmithing equipment and he knows what it is worth. I'm glad I didn't take alot of extra cash with me or I'd be broke.:)

John

John,
Your swage block looks just about like one of mine, very nice!
Paying too much for a tool? Maybe yes, maybe no!
Availability vs. Asking Price, vs. My Time without the use of the tool, is always a consideration for determining what the value of the tool is for me.
I believe that because you bought the swage block, it indicates that (all things considered) the price was worth it to you! I believe that is all that counts in the long run.
I used to struggle with the concept of spending more money on a tool than what I felt was reasonable. :confused:
Over time I concluded that if it made my life easier and more enjoyable to have the tool “in-hand” and to be able to use it, the additional moneys that I paid for the tool was worth it. And, that I am the only one that I need to please! Well, (except for my wife). :rolleyes:
I sounded tough there for a minute anyhow.
After saying all of that, most people would think that I have paid too much for most of my tools.
But the payoff is that I have them, and can use them as I have a need instead of wasting time saying I wish I had them.
So now when I buy a tool with a little higher price, I never look back and have buyer’s remorse, I just focus on the enjoyment and use of my tools.
Enjoy!
Ted Throckmorton

Edited by Ted T