• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the most useless tests I have seen to distinguish copal from amber is that amber has extinct critters in it and copal has animals that are not extinct.  So, to do this test you have to be a paleo entomologist AND a modern entomologist to decide if a fly or ant is a modern or paleo species.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand"

John; that is the unvarnished truth!

George I've been reading about people drilling into amber and putting insects, etc into it and then filling the hole.  I blame Jurassic Park!    Now to put one of my shop keys into some copal...or the final electrical inspection tag when it gets done...

Hmmmm, that brings to mind the question if there's anything in the contract saying their happiness matters.

Joking of course, bureaucrats only honor parts of contracts in THEIR favor, the rest can pound sand.

Charge them interest on the loan?

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol, no one said anything about you holding “their” money Thomas, 

we were merely suggesting that you give them their first payment “on time”

just that it’s sealed in amber… you know…. For its protection… :lol:

I’ll bet as long as it’s cash or check and it’s on time, there’s prolly nothing in the contract that says it “has” to come in a paper envelope, you could tell them you were afraid it was gonna get rained on so you water proofed it!  

I had a guy stop by the shop a few weeks ago and ask me about buying some machines,

his father had passed away down in Texas and he had to clean the farm out to get the property ready for sale, I told him to bring by everything an id buy all the machines and I told him if there’s any blacksmithing stuff that I’d be interested in it too, 

anyways he just showed up a little while ago with a whole trailer load of stuff, he had already sold most all the machines to other people but in between all the stuff was two anvils and two post vises, 

there was a 130# mouse hole with half the face broke off but it still had a ring and rebound, I passed on it today but I told home I may buy it later,

then there was a 4” and 4-1/2” post vises both had good screws and boxes so I bought them both for $50 a piece 

Last there was a 109 pound Peter Wright but it actually weighed 112 on the scale, it had a good ring an rebound, it has some chips here and there so not pristine so I ended up giving $2.32 a pound for it, he tossed in a factory made hot cut hardy and a weird old pair of tong/ plier looking things, I’ll post them to Later1C5AF363-3D50-48B5-A893-5355AC3ED6FA.thumb.jpeg.1a2870fe9cb0a27f7387ecbdd901f7ff.jpeg

AE7A9337-1FE1-49A7-A6C5-FC0CB4A5DB9D.thumb.jpeg.424dfa33abd8b115278515ccb819ed11.jpeg

060B2876-3ED0-4ACA-97D4-0901E5EF1204.thumb.jpeg.886f96c6a32c37ef36c1fa43af54d2c3.jpeg

Chainsaws, tillers,riding mowers, ect.. small engine stuff,

but he done sold most of the small engine stuff before he got to me,

he did have a drill press, belt sander, table saw, scroll saw, and some other wood working stuff an a lot of power tools but I wasn’t really interested in that type stuff, 

I cleaned up the hot cut that came with that anvil I bought the other day, and it says champion, Ive seen various champion hardies before but never paid much attention to them,

I was curious if the champion hardies we’re made by champion blower and forge company? Or were they made by a different company using the champion name? 
3DF4BA68-F148-49E7-9C68-22F1A51627E5.thumb.jpeg.4c05bb76ad3f1db2af43926f7f021e9f.jpeg

Mail call. Thank you JHCC for the 18 1/2" long 1" wide auger bits. 

Haha these are huge compared to what I was using for jellyfish. 

I have to say John, Challenge accepted! Now to make an excessively large jellyfish. I do have saw blades big enough for the dome. After the holidays Ill get on it. ;)

I'll have to dig through what I have. I'd want at least two more auger bits similar but could be a few different sizes if close. I know I have some somewhere. I know I have good sized springs for the tentacles.  Worst case I have some old mine dynamite augers if I wanted to make a huge jellyfish. I'd rather just do a Large jellyfish. 

Funny how things migrate, even scrap. Like Thomas's power hammer story. 

I pick up tools when on business trips; so I have a hammer found in the mud under a scrap pile in the UK, Steeled WI!  Bought a new hammer in the Netherlands and a pair of old tongs in Germany. I have a hammer from Spain---the faces are not parallel so NOT a good one for newer smiths.  Didn't pick up anything in Indonesia; my tools were better than what I could find there. Didn't get offsite much in Chile.

1603039488_augers(2).jpg.721cd7b86bd2a4b3ba2d7201579d3a3d.jpg What I got from the scrapyard.

Jelly fish:  hmm, make them out of shale shaker screen with a clip to hold a cold light tube and have them dangling around the yard---glowing flying jellyfish == Martian Invasion!   (What the neighbors are moving?  That's the 3 set this year...)

More mail! My last drafting job included some radii that were too big for my largest compass. Rather than having to tape a pencil to my largest divider again, I ordered an inexpensive beam compass that will allow me to draw circles up to 24” in diameter:

AFBD46B1-7831-4040-9030-AA3E02A17E8E.jpeg

I suspect I could draw even larger circles if I switched in a longer beam. 

John, I think you receive more deliveries than my wife, but yours are more interesting to me than hers are. I bought one of those beam compasses, about 40 yrs. ago, that I still use all the time. I always laugh when I pull it out for one of the newer employees to use and they have no idea what to do with it