• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brought home a new forge from the guild meeting last week. Got it for $40.00. It needed a new bottom plate. I put a 1/4" plate in it had it punched on a CNC machine at work. Got it in and welded and going to try it out this weekend.

You gave $40 for it?!

You must be quite the horse trader to work a deal like that. $30.00 is plainly written on the side! :o

Buy something from me?

Please? :P

Frosty Edited by Frosty

Back from Quad-State with: an early medieval stump anvil (modern repro, hardened and tempered!), a nose cone cone mandrel, a 5" post vise, die springs, zero carbon sheet steel, some thin SS strip, a twisting wrench, couple of socket chisels, high tech punch lube, memories and probably an extra couple of pounds.

These followed me home, They will be looking for new homes shortly, will post details in Blacksmiths Guild UK section, there are still more items to sort yet, including leg (post) vices, bench and floor drill, gas hearth, chain block, punches and stakes, cast iron firepot with clinker breaker, and other items

8660.attach

8661.attach

8662.attach

8663.attach

8664.attach

8665.attach

8666.attach

8667.attach

8668.attach

8669.attach

8670.attach

8671.attach

8672.attach

8673.attach

8674.attach

8675.attach

My wife and I got an invitation from friends who purchased the property next to them to pick up some concrete culverts that turned into another invitation to look thru some scrap metal. I got about a wheel barrow full and really didn't hit it all. There was a post vise buried in concrete that I was told wasn't up for grabs. Oh well.

I did get a nice bit that's almost 2ft long. A lot of the metal looks like it's galvanized so I didn't take it. Do you guys know if they galvanized plow parts. There are a couple in the attached pics.

Russell

8760.attach

8761.attach

8762.attach

8763.attach

Russel, I grew up in Goldthwaite, TX and have seen literally tons of old plow points and parts that did appeared to be galvanized. This appearance comes from the lime and alkalines in the ground. You can take a new plow disc and leave it on the ground for a couple of years and it will have this same look to it. You would think it was much older also. Everything in your photos are safe, no galvanize. Good score and very wise of you to leave the galv. stuff. If there was any pipe in the material you left it was most likely galv. also alot of old farms had windmills that the tower was made from galv. angle iron. But if it was old farm equipment you should be safe from the galv. Sorry for the length of this post.