I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Glenn, this started out as a swap, but ended up that the guy decided that he really didn't need, nor have room for his 150 pound Trenton or his 5 inch leg vice, Or the 16 pound sledge that he had. So instead of trading, he gave them to me FREE!! I'm serious! I just don't get that lucky. But I did this time. I am going to make him a knife and a couple of other items that he finally told me that he would like to have. Total value, less that $40.The anvil is 27 1/2 inches from tip of horn to back of face, has a 7/8 inch hardy hole, a 1/2inch pritchel hole and a 9/16 inch pritchel hole. Anybody got any info on why it would have two pritchel holes?

7908.attach

7909.attach

7910.attach

7911.attach

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got a drill press from a woman who just wanted it out of her garage. It's a standing press, and weighs (I kid not) about three hundred pounds. It is one HEAVY piece of solidly made tool. There is quite a bit of rust on the lower parts (the table and below), but everything still spins smoothly and it even has the old electric motor! It has variable speeds through a series of pulleys. The head is in excellent shape and it still has the chuck in place. And it still works as well.

I'm glad it's nice, because it was a bear for my girlfriend and I to load into the back of her Montero!

David L

LOL, about the anvil, its an old Horshoers anvil, notice the clip making extension on the right side of the anvil, and most shoeing anvils had 2 pritchell holes, with a narrower anvil face than smithing anvils and, with usually a long tapered horn with a point that was at the same height or higher than the anvil face proper.

CurlyGeorge, that was a farrier's anvil and two pritchel holes are pretty standard on them. The clip by the horn is the give away.

It's a Trenton a very good brand that was made in Columbus OH. Good price for it too!

I got my 410# Trenton from a fellow who was always going to take up smithing but never got around to it and was tired of moving it every time he moved. I traded a 125# Peter Wright, a screw and screwbox for a postvise and US$100 And then I had to move it when I moved

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about home from my morning walk and decided to cut through the orchard to get home. I noticed a freshly burnt junk pile with these items in the middle. I didn't ask but figured if they tried burning them, they didn't want them so I brought them home with me. I'm sure I can do something useful with them.

8059.attach

This weekend as it turns out was a prime one for getting new toys. I brought home A LG 50# power hammer:
my new toy 3 - Blacksmith Photo Gallery
some wrought Iron wagon wheel rims.
Wrought freebie - Blacksmith Photo Gallery
A pile of 16 ga sheet metal.
16 ga freebie - Blacksmith Photo Gallery
Assorted hunks of RR track at least two full suits of armour, A bunch of electrical goodies and assorted other stuff.
The whole shebang cost me 50 bucks for fuel for the truck. I also gave teh guys who helped me load and unload all these goodies fifty bucks each. For a grand total of $150.00 cash.
Finnr

I answered an add on craigslist and brought home six buckets of tools, 3 buckets of scrap steel (some tool grade), 50 plus horse shoes and 250# of bituminous coal. There were 87 different hammers, chisels, punches, tongs, top swages, pritchels and hardy tools. On average I paid less than three bucks each for the tools.

Here is the photo gallery.

tongs002_800X600.jpg swages001_800X600.jpg tools002_800x600.jpg hardy002_800x600.jpg

The other thing thatI got out of the deal was about four hours of conversation with a guy who started his apprenticeship to a farrier 35 years ago and had to give up his profession because of health reasons. He had all sorts of stories, tips for things I was working on and I think I could call him for advise any time. Now that's a score.