I Forge Iron

It followed me home

CWB, there is a company that makes a "leather looking" synthetic belt. Jim Carothers, member here and Pres. of Saltfork Craftsmen & Artist Blacksmith Assoc. told me about it last year....I can't remember the name of the company tho...old age thing.... You can contact him through the above web site tho to find out. The stuff is supposed to look like leather but holds up better, doesn't crack etc like real leather. IIRC. anyway good luck.

Edited by Thomas Dean

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stopped by the fleamarket today and picked up 7 of the 1 liter? medical O2 bottles cheap. Anybody know if they have a deposit on them? I planned to cut off the tops and use one of the bodies for a punch quencher for my travel set up and use the others to store stuff in, may trade in the tops as they are Al and so don't ring well but the AL and the cromed brass fittings will sell well at the recycler.

Also picked up an old acetylene regulator that should work for a propane forge; yes I'll get it tested first; but for US$2 it's worth the risk.

Didn't take back a *large* domed trailer hitch and a large turnbuckle as he wanted to keep them more than I wanted to buy them.

Thomas Powers.... We lived in Albuquerque in the late 70's. Our favorite part of the country. There are lots of things I miss about the desert Southwest, one of which is the flea markets. I bought tools there for a couple bucks that I still use today. Raleigh, NC had a good one too in the early 80's (don't know about today).

This followed me home from a yard sale a couple weeks ago. I knew it was a good deal for $20, especially with the other stuff Deb got thrown in.

Then this afternoon I stopped in to the local hardware store looking for something they don't carry anymore. . . namely hardware! :mad: I took a look in their welding section as I walked past and discovered a new TurboTorch goes for $280 locally. :o

Frosty

7245.attach

No, that's my 40lber. He wanted too much for the 20 he had there.

I knew I had a good deal but no idea how good till this afternoon. I actually did a double take.

It worked great when I tried it out but it's even better now I know what it's worth.

Frosty

Hey gang! Great site. It took me several days of reading to catch up with all 107 pages of this thread alone.

The other day I spotted an aging section of railroad rail nearly 3-feet long sitting neglected among the weeds near a local line. I stopped, threw on my work gloves, picked it up and carried it back to the truck. On the way back I thought I might have gotten sliced with a sharp blade of grass or something in the calf. Driving my prize home, I noticed a sharp pain that was quickly building into nearly electric shock proportions on my calf. I stopped, looked, rubbed, scratched. Couldn't find anything, but started suspecting maybe something "zapped me" - ground bee or something.

To make a long story short, when I got home and went to unload my prize, it had rolled a little in the truck so I could see the golfball sized wasp nest attached to what was the underside of the rail.

I guess there was a price to be paid for my free ASO, eh?

Bill :cool:

Could have been snake bite or arrest so you got off easy and can call yourself the Wasp Nest Forge and have a story to tell...

You know, Tom, I've been wracking my brain for months trying to come up with a catchy forge name... it just might stick. Now to make a touchmark in the shape of a wasp... :rolleyes:

I had the day off today and went to the doctors. It seems as I'm cleaning out my "gee-rage" and turning more of it into "the shop", I've come across some poison ivy or something like it lately. Two weeks ago, it was on my face and in my eyes. Medicated for a week and it went away. This time, it's all over my torso and hammer arm and driving me UP THE WALL!!! If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all, right.

So on the way to the Doc's, I spot the shovel half. I figure to go back for it on my way home. When I get there, I drive on and see the "leaf" just past it, and BACK UP ON THE EXPRESSWAY to get it. Salvage will surely be the end of me.

I'm going to re-handle the shovel for my coal bin. Not sure what the 1" pin is for. The leaf originally looked like one from a semi or something big. Now that I have it in my hands (pic) its almost an inch thick... I think it's a fork from a forklift. Comments? What should I do with it (don't go looking for it in Iron-in-the-Hat, either!);)

Bill

As for the ASO, I've already got a 125LB London pattern (not sure of brand), so I'll likely make a small "anvil" with horn for use close to my forge for very small work.

7426.attach

7427.attach

Why cut a good piece rail road track. Bury that thing 17 feet deep into the ground and you will have a decent anvil with all the mass of the track directly under where the hammer hits. Oh, I better mention you should really do some planning on where to dig the hole as you may not want to move it very often. (grin)