I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Glenn I just sold 50 pounds fo those ingots on ebay for $50. I still have two five gallon buckets left to smelt and mold. Lead is high right now. My buddy owns a tire station and hooks me up. I cast a lot of sinkers:D But $50 buys....well a little steel anyway:rolleyes: 50 pounds will fit in a flat rate box too.;)

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found this ASO gouged out of a piece of RR track today at a yard sale..Picked it up for $10..Didnt really need it but thought I may use it when I didnt want to abuse my anvil. I knocked a pritchel hole in it and welded some square stock on the back to form a hardy hole in case I needed to use a hardy in it..threw the stand together out of scrap laying around the farm..
Picture_10156.jpg

This followed me home back in the early 1990's from Italy but I didn't know what I had till I "rediscovered" it in my box of "stuff" Seems like forging like that could be painful.

So the missing photo was of a Italian 50 Lira coin with a naked smith (probably HEPHAESTUS) hammering at his anvil.

Edited by larrynjr

Two busted anvils, a head and a tail? Cool! Now, if you can figure how to stick both ends together you'd really have something. Actually, I wouldn't mind have those two halves. "They must have been racers in their days"

That sweetheart deal on the swage block requires a great deed from you in the future. Don't forget.

The one with the horn is around 150lbs even without the tail, just as much as my main shop anvil, and quite old. The one with no horn is around 110lbs. Neither of the anvils has seen a whole lot of use really, and the faces are in quite good shape. The price was right on them so i bought them both, because there's a lot of use left in them yet.

The block has a shovel shape on the other side that's wicked nice too. I fully intend to return the favor more than in kind for the swage block. That made my whole weekend, heck i'm still smiling !

I've bought an anvil missing the heel once; old with a great face and horn and about 30 cents a pound in price cause it was "damaged". It's my loaner anvil/ leave outside the shop anvil and has worked great! I can put a hardy in the post vise if I need to.

Too many folks get hung up that the anvil has to be perfect to work; well I've seen a lot of great smithing done on pieces of scrap metal---it's the skill that makes it great not the tools!

Well answered an add in the local free web ads and came away with a bucket of tongs 14 pair all together and a box of stuff, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 top and bottom swages, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 top fullers, A real good handled cold cut and handled hot cut, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 bolt headers, Three misc hammers and some odds and ends.

John

6592.attach

6593.attach

6594.attach

6595.attach

i have had metal appearing at my shop but the big peices are 250#3/8 galvnised cable(stream team) a pipe 24 inch dimeter 3feet long(construction scraps) and old corroded transmission?
the transmission just materilised and is sort of puzzleing as to where it came from mabe START (stream trash art) program

• 2 weeks later...

So a friend of mine comes over today so I can weld up a table for him.
He had all the parts pre-cut, but I had to make some adjustments. Seems as he used the iron worker at his employer, but did not know how to adjust for miters, notches, and metal thickness.
Anyway, we get all done and he loves it. "the table that is."
He says he found something at work that they were throwing out, and he snagged it for me. Say it's yours if you can use it.
He goes to his truck, and when he returns, he sets it on one of my work benches. I could not believe my eyes.

It is a Whitney Tools, 2x2 1/4" notcher. A little dirty, handle is missing, but the dies are in good shape.
I clamped it down, found a piece of 2x2 1/4", placed in the notcher, stuck a piece of 1/2 conduit in the top and gave it a turn.
BAM!. Knocked out a perfect triangle with razor straight edges.

No pics yet. My daughter broke my camera.

Now I gotta build something.

This hitched a ride home with me today. I don't think it's been used but once or twice, the safety clip is still on the hook, no scratches in the paint and the casters are unmarked.

$100 at a garage sale, $300 at the engine hoist store.

Now I can move things around without pushing the weight restriction on my arm. :D

Frosty

6777.attach

6778.attach

Edited by Frosty

Frosty, find the proper size tubing to go inside the tubing cross bar most distant from the load. There should be a stop inside that tube, if not, measure from the middle to about 24 inches beyond the edge of the tubing to act as out riggers and to keep the hoist from tipping over when under load. You may have to drill a hole and weld a nut to the tubing, so you can use a bolt to hold the out rigger in place.

You may want to look at replacing the wheels with all swivel wheels and stronger wheels than those supplied. If you plan to use the hoist on anything other than smooth concrete, a larger diameter wheel should be considered.

This is NOT to be taken lightly. I have seen these things tip over (load was a small block v8), the wheels collapse (load was a 2000 pound), and the wheels dig in and bury up to the frame (into asphalt).

Great score !!

Good idea about the outrigger even though I don't intend to be lifting or moving odd shaped loads there's always a chance of a wheel getting chocked when in motion, then a little momentum puts the whole thing on it's side.

The wheels are heavy duty and all six swivel. If I need to take it out of the shop I have more off road wheels on dollies I can attach. Maybe motorize something off road one of these days.

Good tips, these things can be dangerous and it pays to use caution. Heck, I sweep the floor before moving anything more than a couple hundred lbs. with one. We had a pebble chock a wheel while we were turning one sideways once. Everybody got out of the way but the load (right angle drive for a drill rig) hit the floor with great authority.

Frosty

Went to the dump today and next to me was this pile of sod. I was loading while my wife was unloading. I was afraid the attendant would stop me, then he came over and said I could have as much as I wanted. Got the whole pile about 24 rolls all in good shape, just finished laying it down and it looks good, and I,m ready for a nap.
sod_001.JPG

Went to the dump today and next to me was this pile of sod. I was loading while my wife was unloading. I was afraid the attendant would stop me, then he came over and said I could have as much as I wanted. Got the whole pile about 24 rolls all in good shape, just finished laying it down and it looks good, and I,m ready for a nap.
sod_001.JPG

Good score.

Only in America would someone throw their lawn out! :o

Frosty
GCOA